Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 6:12 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default that hole over the stairs
Don't know if this is a "build" question, or maybe a mod is needed? Or it can't be fixed...
I have the packs that allow placing CEILING tiles, but just like you can't place floor tiles too close to stairs (any stairs, including ladders), you can' place ceiling tiles ABOVE them. No matter how many floor, orfact that ROOF is tiled --- when you look UP from any floor YOU SEE THE SKY! Sure the Sims don't notice the "hole in the roof", but for pictures it's just stupid.

Any suggestion to fix?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 6:35 PM
When taking a picture with the stairs in it, if you can't change the angle to avoid that, change the level you're on to the one above, then use cameraman mode to maneuver the viewpoint back down where you want it.

The game can't see levels above where it is, which is where the ceiling of the upper floor is, and therefore - hole.

There may be a mod that makes upper floors visible from lower floors, but if so, I don't know what it is. Ask in WCIF.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 9:45 PM
Camera angle that's all you can do.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 10:40 PM
No, Peni's right, if you go into camera mode and then hit page up (go up one level), the camera view stays on the original level but then can see the floor above and it's roof and so on. I sometimes go up-up-up depending on the build.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 11:36 PM
So long as there are no modular stairs with the mesh going down to the floor since going up a floor then just down with the camera will show that in all it's ugly glory.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
So long as there are no modular stairs with the mesh going down to the floor since going up a floor then just down with the camera will show that in all it's ugly glory.

I'm not sure what you mean with that - I've been taking pictures for ages with that method and never seen a problem. Do you have a picture?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 1:43 AM
The mesh goes solidly all the way down like a solid block. Most modular stairs in game do that. I don't know how else to explain it. I did once post a picture in creator feedback when I used the story book stair up to a stage with a child's bed which is where I got told it was how the mesh was. Only shows like that if you go up a level then use tab and go down. I'll see if I can get a picture later.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 1:33 PM
You mean like this? That's just how stairs are most of the time AFAICS. The open-underneath stairs, here in the UK at least, are the exception rather than the rule. Looks fine to me. You can always cover it up with one of the stair side mods.

But what I don't understand is you see them like that anyway in a regular picture without doing the up-a-level thing as in the first picture which shows the gap Pat is complaining about.
Screenshots

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 1:39 PM
I forgot to take a picture and I had my game loaded for awhile. Must try tomorrow since I really can't explain it with words. The house it's worst in is as I said has the stairs going up to a platform upstairs. The mesh thought goes down to the ground.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 2:37 PM
Is it a CC stair? I've never seen anything like that. My pictures, using the technique we're discussing, look like those above. Those are a couple of EAxis stairs though.

Oh wait, you mean when you have a stairs on an upper level and the mesh travels through the lower floor?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 3:15 PM
I think that is what Jo means, Maxon.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 4:04 PM
I'm sorry I can't make those out clearly - they're coming out as rather dark on my monitor.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Oh wait, you mean when you have a stairs on an upper level and the mesh travels through the lower floor?

Yes, that exactly. The worst house for it that I built was this one https://www.modthesims.info/d/499887 first floor has beds up on a stage with some steps up to it. The mesh goes all the way through to the ground floor. Nearly made me take it out but I liked the beds up on the stage so I kept it, but it's darn ugly if you hit tab and go down.

~Call me Jo~