Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 9:26 AM
Custom dive lots = fail fail fail.
And other woes related to most worlds, even custom worlds, having an extremely low water level, even if we're talking about an island that is supposed to be in the middle of the ocean. Sigh.

Last night, after spending several hours playing in a certain custom world (which out of respect I will not name), I was unbelievably upset and disappointed to discover that the world's sea level was so low that not only was creating dive lots out of the question, but I couldn't even build ponds correctly. I kid you not, whenever I tried to use the "pond" tool in build mode, it would not work; all it would do was make a big, empty hole in the ground that was devoid of any water. So I couldn't make a nice watering hole for any of my horsies. I junked my savegame and uninstalled the world. ARRGHH

Barnacle Bay is also one of my favourite store worlds, and though thankfully the pond tool works with no problems, I was still very sad to discover that the sea level is still much too low to create dive lots, even though as I've said, the world is supposed to be an island in the middle of a sea. Alas.

Has anyone had better luck than I with any of EA's other worlds?

I've searched and searched, but there really don't seem to be any custom dive lots out there, or any worlds that come with dive lots. Does anyone know if there are any? Or any custom worlds with deep enough water for building dive lots?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 9:58 AM
I still haven't tried to do a dive lot, but a tutorial I saw was using Sunset Valley as an example world, so...

Also, that tutorial (here), says only to look for when the lot outline becomes green - I don't think it specifies any particular depth. What happens if the ocean is not deep enough? You can't place the lot in the sea? I'm currently playing Monte Vista and on a brief test, it allowed me to place a lot in the middle of the water just fine (Ofc, I still didn't try to actually build it, just went to see if it would allow me to place a lot in the water. It did.)

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 10:07 AM
It's hard to describe really, I found that if the water isn't deep enough, then a lot of the underwater objects simply won't behave.
Scholar
#4 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 10:11 AM Last edited by Simsica : 16th Sep 2014 at 10:28 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Le Carrera
It's hard to describe really, I found that if the water isn't deep enough, then a lot of the underwater objects simply won't behave.

That's all we have to go on? Not much.

That tutorial mentions that we need to go down/up a level when building and placing that buoy, so basically, if it does that - allows us to go up/down a level (as between floors in a normal lot) then it will behave properly? Are these your findings as well?

ETA: As you can probably tell, I want a dive lot in MV and now I'm not sure if I can even have it, unless I go through the entire ordeal of trying to build it. Only to (possibly) find out that I can't. That's just silly.

ETA: Some people report that editing terrain level of the lot - lowering it in build mode - allowed for a dive lot in Sunlit Tides (here ).

Sorry, I forgot the stupid cheat - enableLotLocking. After putting it in, it allows me to proceed. I guess I'll report back on MV soon enough.

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Alchemist
#5 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 10:57 AM
IIRC if the dive lot isn't deep enough, Sims and boats will float on the air when they're above the lot.

Just call me Nikel
Scholar
#6 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 11:13 AM
Monte Vista is dive-enabled Just sent Pedro Robles down there. And thanks, nikel!

Scholar
#7 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 2:33 PM
I have dive lots in Sunset Valley and Sunlit Tides. Custom dive lots are totally possible, they're just a hassle to make it work.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 2:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
I have dive lots in Sunset Valley and Sunlit Tides. Custom dive lots are totally possible, they're just a hassle to make it work.

Agreed. I was able to make a functional one in Sunset Valley at one point, although I didn't like it and eventually deleted it for aesthetic reasons. You do have to be picky about the placement, though.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 12:07 AM
My world Stranda has a dive lot, and in my testing it looked like it worked nicely. Most of the seaterrain is very narrow along the sides though. I tried making lots of the sea very deep, and I did that while all the information from Island Paradise came out, as I was about to finish at the same time.

It is actually not that easy to make divelots if it's not deep enough in the beginning, they end up swimming above water and such.

I read something about divers needing several dive lots with different difficulty level, but I just didn't have the room for that. Island Paradise wasn't even thought about perhaps when I started shaping my island.
Scholar
#10 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I read something about divers needing several dive lots with different difficulty level, but I just didn't have the room for that. Island Paradise wasn't even thought about perhaps when I started shaping my island.

They need all the required caves, spawners and chests to be available. In theory, you could dump all of them on a single lot. The Sims would still progress if you set up the requirements (on those objects) the same as with all the varied IP lots.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 10:26 AM
I saved an Isla Paradiso dive lot to the library. I have yet to plunk it down in another world and see if it works. Anyone try that yet?

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Alchemist
#12 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
I saved an Isla Paradiso dive lot to the library. I have yet to plunk it down in another world and see if it works. Anyone try that yet?

I have. I worked well. I did that in Lucky Palms. The sea is quite deep, but I'm pretty sure I noticed the boat still floated, so it mustn't have been deep enough. But it's not a big deal though

Just call me Nikel
Mad Poster
#13 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 1:46 PM
That's what I want to do at some point, just put a few dive spots into the library, then if I put them in another world, tweak it a little, take things out here, put some more stuff there.

Who is Q? qanon.pub