Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 4:51 AM
Default Town Rule Sets
Ever have the urge to make up and write down rules for your pixels and their towns?

I do this a lot, but Bellefleur is probably the closest I've come to creating an integrated town, with all the bells & whistles. Because it has gotten to be so complex, of course they need rules to run the town by. Here are mine:

The Mayor, and other officials:
All positions are held permanently until either removed from office, or retirement age.
There shall be only 1 Mayor at a time.
There shall be 2 elected Senators and 2 elected Congresspeople to represent Bellefleur.
There will only be 1 judge to preside over the court system.
There is only 1 general at a time.
There is only one Chief of Staff for the Hospital.
There will be only 1 Chief of Police until either removed from office or retirement.

Extra Money: (or what to do when the cupboard's bare & the repoman is just around the corner..)

The town dump is open for scrounging by anyone. $28,000 for the full dump scrounge. One can also dig for treasure to find various things.
Welfare-all are entitled to apply for this, YA upward. It ceases when a job is obtained.
One can perform at various venues to get extra money-the Pink Flamingo, the Open Mike, etc. This also allows them to improve their musical/dancing skills.
One can write articles or even novels to get extra money.
The cops can do off-duty traffic duty, and gain some money from it.

College
All children are entitled to go to college.
Every YA enrolled in college must fulfill all of their studies before going to the next semester. They will not progress to it until they do. Using the computer to write articles to do so with is the only acceptable way. Cheating is seriously regarded and discouraged..by either the pixel or their owner..
College: $20,000 per child for 4 years, payable on date of age transition. Matriculation is dependent on this, so send that money in quick before we find another sucker, er, parent, to give us money!

Banking:
It is recommended by our banking officials that everyone save their money for retirement through deposits into their bank accounts. Anything over $1000.00 is acceptable. Interest will accrue daily. Withdrawals are discouraged unless paying for important things, like college..

Loans are available for those desperate enough. We can't stress often enough not to do it, because the interest is a killer, and we've got some guys who really like to collect...in person.

Ok-so those are some of mine....

Do you have any 'official' rule sets that you use consistently? Want to share them?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 9:29 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 9th Oct 2017 at 10:41 AM.
Great idea for a thread

I used yours and added education since my rules go a lot further than college and also motivation rules since these play a big part in college and how life pans out for the sims in my neighbourhood.

The Mayor, and other officials:
1 only for each top position.

Right now I have a mayor, a new candidate and soon to be a second once he gets out of uni. One candidate for each party. Freezer Bunny party or The Llama party. Once they reach the level below mayor there has to be a vote. I tally the vote going on how many friends around town they have made (not counting family) The mayor has to pay the salary of the teachers at the school house.

Each job requires a work place and the sims must go there and work at least once a rotation. (Once per season) Some go most days, a few live at the work building such as my police chief, Fire Chief.

Law and order/other:
Get caught stealing papers or gnomes and you will need to pay a fine of $50 at the police station. Get caught a second time and you will pay $100, get caught a third time and you will be tried in court and sent to jail for a week.

Pickpocket and other theft is a roll by dice chance of being caught or not. How long you get depends what you were caught stealing. I have one thief family who make their money by searching other sims inventories.

Everyone must compost. The city council provides the compost bin and they gain $50 every time they turn in a full bin.

Extra Money:
(or what to do when the cupboard's bare & the repoman is just around the corner..)
Sims may sell items that they have either found (beach treasure) or made. If they are really poor like one family they can dig and sell the items. selling must be done through the business method of opening a business even if it's rocks and bones from the lounge room. I also allow Bek's knitting and the clothing pile to be sold.

Homeless sims may busk. They do not get bills so no repo man. I think they have trouble enough and if you are homeless what are you going to be billed for? Once they can afford the bongo drums they can busk with those and tend to get more tips. They may scrounge out of the bin for small change. There is also a soup kitchen for free food.

Sims who own a house ( or at least a plot of land that they are camping on) may take out a loan. Small loans on Monique's computer, larger ones on Cyjon's loan jar since the computer has way too high of an interest rate that gets not only billed daily but anytime they are uncontrolled on a community lot-bit unfair that.

College/Education:

All children must be educated either by homeschooling, the Coral Bay school house(technically prep school but not), or they may go to the public school in the sub hood. Coral bay's school house will soon become a private school with fees, first gen kids were too poor for that.

Teens have homeschooling, public school or boarding school. They need to do one.

I have main hood college or sub hood university.
To go to uni a teen needs at least 3 scholarships or 2 plus a portfolio item. This could be something have crafted, cooked, painted, a novel, FT car etc. I may raise this as many are getting footwork and other hidden scholarships.

To go to college they need at least 1 scholership/or portfolio item. Likewise thinking of raising these, maybe uni 5 and collage 3.

Without the needed scholarship/portfolio items they can't gain further education and will have to take NPC jobs. Bug sprayer, maid, gardener etc.

Since the first gen was poor, education was free for all. Maybe next gen will have to pay.

Banking:
I partly mentioned that before. These are not rules though.

I also use the loan shrubs on certain lots.

My banker can also do direct loans now with Monique's payer system. The payment for these loans gets done automatically. Once the bank is more flush more of these will take place.

Motivation levels: These decide if the sim will be hard studying, hard partying or just doing whatever they please. This effects scholarships so effecting career choice. Someone has to spray the bugs.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 1:04 PM
I don't really have a set of strict rules, but I thought somebody find this interesting anyway.

Mayor

In RL, here where I live, we have 2 mayors. That is due to there being 2 municipalities, in charge of the district rather than just the town. Work is divided between them - one is responsible for the water, refuse removal and sewerage while the other one is responsible for electricity, roads, traffic and building regulations (more or less). This is also an example of how things just work differently here.

So I have a mayor, or even 2, in the main hood as well as in the subhoods - depending on if there are enough sim mayors. As for other officials, the more sims there are, the more of them I need. However, in reality, I seldom have more than one, since my sims usually retires when aging to elder. The exceptions are mayors and doctors (the more sims there are, the more doctors and hospitals are necessary, and since I don't play an actual hospital and don't want to, it works for me - there are 3 hospitals in my town, a public one, a private one and a research one).

Money Matters
No banking or loans of any kind (I worked in a bank in RL long enough, thank you very much ).
I do use Pescado's money order, though, for various things - eg, child maintenance has to be paid weekly.

College and Education:
I would like to try home schooling, perhaps in the new hood I am going to start some time (soon).

For now, I do not have a lot of rules, but:

Sims are required to visit the Unemployment Centre once a week: to teach or be taught, to train or be trained.

All available teens go to Uni - not because it is realistic in any way, because I like playing Uni

However, I do not make it easy for them: dorms are very basic housing with no skill objects in them and no luxuries. So they have to visit community lots if they want to gain skills or write their assignments on a computer or play a piano.

They have academic lessons (using Sophie David's stuff) and practical classes (also some of the same stuff plus skill objects plus my imagination).

And,of course, they have to fit parties into their schedule too.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 3:00 PM
Considering the baby boom I'm about to experience in my Blue Point neighborhood, I really should be coming up with some of rules.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 5:23 PM
I don't have any strict rules about number of Sims per position, but over all I don't have more than one Sim at the top level job if it's a job that feels like a one-job-available thing. For example there is only one Major. I quite like Justpetro's idea of allowing one per subhood, so I might allow a second one from now on, if some Sims has that as LTW. Definitely only person at the top of education, because it's a ministry post and we only have one of each of those. But over all very few of my SIms are top level of their career. Most Sims have a job stopper in inventory keeping them from progressing. No rules deciding when and who gets job stopper, I decide on the go depending on how I perceive that Sim. I feel most of them are more bothered with other aspects of their life.

Extra money
Anyone is allowed to dig for treasure, perform or do anything they want to gather money. But again, I use my perception of that Sim to decide who does what. Not every Sim is the performer-kind of Sim, and not every Sim is the kind of Sim that would be prepared to dig in the dirt. I choose a money-gaining venture that I think suits them. Everyone is allowed to do everything, but people only do the things that I think it's realistic that they would try.

Welfare/help systems
There is no welfare (and no20khandout mod installed), except the orphanage which takes in unwanted children or children without parents. The orphanage gets is base-funding on a weekly basis from the Major, which has to cover bills, groceries and savings for the Sims who live there. They get 200 put into their savings account every Sunday, so they have at least a little money to start their life with even if they don't get adopted. Any money the children earn on their own is also put into their savings account. So for example if they get money from a chance card at school, or a teen has a job, I keep track and deposit it into their account when they've earned enough to fit one of the options on Monique's computer. Even if the orphanage struggles and could use the money brought in by the kids, they really do try to do the best they can for the kids and want them to succeed later in life, so they let them keep their money. Other children in the hood would have parents that can try to help them when they move out, so it's only fair the orphanage kids keep what they earn. Any money they earned themselves they are allowed to spend if they prefer, though they are encouraged to save instead. Most teens will buy a cell phone with their money, and the ones that care about appearances also buy an outfit or two, because the orphanage only has ugly old-fashioned clothing. The money they get put into their savings by the orphanage is locked and may only be accessed when they leave the orphanage, so either as teens who choose to move out and live in their own, or as YAs.

Sims who are well off sometimes make donations to the orphanage. It's quite fun. The manager of the orphanage is a very frequent walk-by when I play other households, and she very often appears in the background on community lots. I see that as her socializing and trying to secure funds and aid for the orphanage, making connections to call on when things are tough. Whenever I play the orphanage and they need something they can't afford, I look at her friends panel, and see if she's met any suitable Sims that could donate. Donations can be money, but more often it's an object-donation. For example, a burglar broke in to the orphanage and stole their piano, as well as some artwork. With the orphanage funds so tight there was no way they could buy a new piano. So a family who adopted their daughter from the orphanage bought and donated a new piano, and the hood's artist donated some new paintings to replace the stolen ones. One week the orphanage couldn't afford new groceries, so a Sim with a vegetable garden donated some vegetables so they'd have food for the week. And this year the manager really worked to gather donations to buy more Christmas decorations. Looks like Christmas exploded in there. Since the kids have no families, and Christmas is a family-celebration, she tries to compensate by making it as Christmas-y as possible.

The major gets the money to run the orphanage from different fees. It costs 1000 to register for a marriage license, 2000 to file for divorce, 1500 to register for a drivers license, 500 to change your name, and 5000 to adopt from the orphanage. Money is sent to the major via Monique's computer.

Education
Private school costs money. For each child it costs 1000 to enroll, and 150 every day, so 750 per week. Fees are donated, to simulate they are sent to the headmaster of private school.

University is costly. It's funded by the government, and it's all handled by the Sim who is minister of education (so top of education-career). There's a fee for each semester, a base charge for the classes themselves, and an additional fee if you choose university-funded housing. The classes cost 3500 per semester, dorms are an additional 1500, and private housing is 6500. If you agree to share private housing, it's 4000 per student in the house. If you prefer to live in the main hood, or rent an apartment on campus, you only pay for classes. If you live university housing, all costs are included in the fee so bills are deleted. Apartments/main hood students have to pay bills normally. If you live in a dorm you can work for the university and handle the cleaning, which gets you a discount of 500 every semester you do it.

If you can't afford to pay for your education up front, you may delay payment. There's an administrative cost of 150 for each semester you decide to pay for later on. You are given one year after graduation to pay (four seasons). If you haven't paid by then, you are charged 4% in interest every Sunday. You aren't forced to make down payments on the loan, but you have to pay the interest immediately.

I want things to be expensive because I enjoy playing more when there's a real purpose for earning money, a reason to get a job. University is expensive, but even poorer Sims can go if they just live in a dorm and work extra. They may have to live in a small apartment as adults to afford both their living situation and interest on their loans, but I love apartments so that's fine by me. More fun when the different households have different situations.

Loans
Aside from student loans described above, any Sim is allowed to take out loans. Sims are allowed to borrow money from each other, with no interest, if they have a friend or family member willing and able to lend them the money. If they can't they have to take out a bank loan.

There are different bank loans.
House loan have 3% interest, charged twice a week
Vacation house loans are 2% interest, three times a week
Business loans are 5% once a week
Misc loans for whatever you want are 1% every day

Basically the less necessary a loan is, the higher interest. Vacation house interest comes out to 6.12% vs 6.09% on house loans a week, which may seem little, but since it charges three times a week that means you have less time to earn money, make payments and lower the base sum before the next time interest is charged. So unless the Sim makes no payments on their loans, the triple interest of a vacation home loan is tougher even if it has a lower % each time. Misc loans are discouraged, which is why they have the highest interest and increase daily.

Sims are allowed to use Monique's computer to save money, if they have money to spare. Most of them have very little to spare, but if they do they are allowed to earn interest from it.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 6:36 PM
We have a National Minister of Education, @gummilutt - and 9 provincial ones. I could put one of them in every subhood as well
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 6:51 PM
I have a few!

Politics and laws
- One Mayor per subhood. They must live in the subhood they're the mayor of.
- Every home must have at least one smoke detector in the kitchen. If a police officer or firefighter arrives and notices there is not one, the household gets fined and required to install one within 24 hours.
- Under Skip's Law, championed by Mary-Sue Pleasant, every swimming pool must have at least two ladders. A few smaller pools in apartment buildings are grandfathered in, though. (Because I'm too lazy to move the Sims out and back in.) If a police officer or firefighter notices there is not one, the household gets fined and required to install a second ladder within 24 hours.
- All dogs and outdoor cats must get a license. (Buying a collar and putting it on them counts as getting a license.)
- I haven't quite figured out other laws yet - one of my teenaged Sims got put on probation (only allowed to leave his lot to go to school and work) for getting into a fight just as a police officer arrived to break up a party.

Social services
- After an inquiry into the child welfare services, the social workers previously in charge have been reassigned to desk work and the role taken over by a playable sim, Miss Orphanage. As expected, she runs the neighbourhood's orphanage.
- Morning-after pills are universally available before the first baby bump. Between the first and second bump--if the mother's life is in danger (those needs drop quickly!) they are allowed to seek an abortion. If they simply aren't in a place where they can raise the child, they can sign away their parental rights to the orphanage.
- If a teenage Sim feels that their home environment is too unstable (e.g. their parents roll wants to see their ghosts!), they can apply to become legally emancipated from their parents, and the child welfare services will help move them into a new residence.
- Unemployed Sims can receive welfare. Some choose not to, though. Those who do are encouraged to study talent badges using Monique's computer.

Banking and finances
- Mostly handled by Monique's computer - putting money in a bank account accrues interest, and since the money from the loans is tacked onto the bills, it's a bit harder to ignore...
- Cyjon's Bigger Bills, as well. I'm not very nice to my Sims, I'm afraid.
- The Orphanage and Gravekeeper family don't receive bills (Visitor Controller to ban the mailman), and both receive a weekly stipend and are allowed to keep any money they gain through other methods. (If Sims in the care of the orphanage make money, they put it into a bank account until they want to buy something.)

Education
- I use Cyjon's Harder Homework, alongside his partial homework credit, so an A+ isn't quite as easy to attain.
- Any Sim can enroll their child in private school with Inge's School Changer -- if they don't mind paying for it! If you want to get a scholarship (either free or reduced tuition, depending on your family's circumstances), you invite the Headmaster over.
- Teenaged Sims graduate from high school and decide whether to enroll in college when they are 18 days old. Each of the colleges has different requirements for admission (La Fiesta Tech is the most lax, and Academie Le Tour is the hardest to get into).If they really want to go to college but their grades aren't quite good enough, they can go to after-school tutoring (Inge's schoolbook thingy at the library).
- Haven't figured out tuiton yet, I'm afraid. Thinking of maybe $2000 a semester.

Um, there's probably more, but I forgot.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 7:32 PM
Of course there are some areas we haven't even discussed-like :

Crime and Punishment (which isn't based on some Russian novel!)

I've seen some rules for punishing criminals, and some on the offenses used to incarcerate them. I've tried a few, but in Pixel land, it seems you can get away with murder (Antoinette did, but Cornelia Goth has a very long memory...and it's getting ugly..) and anything else..

So what crimes could be punished and how?

I think that for murder, such as above, the punishment would be that the victim gets resurrected to mete out justice to the murderer. Seems fitting..

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 7:50 PM
The only kind of crime my hood has is the charlatan who picks pockets, and the NPC burglars. I have been debating implementing some kind of system to deal with the NPCs, so there's at least the appearance of justice. Perhaps I'll build a prison, and imprison them there if they get caught twice. I know the game would just generate new ones, but I don't mind that. Can simulate a sort of rebuild-your-life-program that the NPC burglars go into after they serve their sentence.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 8:14 PM
As soon as a suitable candidate is selected as Chief of Police, I'm going to open up the jail again-but hopefully it will not be based on personal prejudice and enmity.

In Bellefleur, one of the released prisoners was Gordon King, who swore that he'd go straight after enduring hell in prison. So far, he's been good about it.

I've seen this (from another site, can't remember where..could be here):
For the 'Randomizer' program:

*Action: Sim Crimes
Busted-put in detention for 2 days at Police station, awaiting trial.
Not Busted

*If Busted: We find the defendant...
Guilty-sent to prison
Guilty-by reason of insanity (committed to Asylum)
Not Guilty

*If Guilty: SENTENCING

*This sim is hereby sentenced to...

- 1 DAY TOTAL - 1 day in Prison

- 3 DAYS TOTAL= 3 days in Prison

- 6 DAYS TOTAL= 6 days in Prison

18 DAYS TOTAL = 18 days in Prison

LIFE : 25 DAYS to LIFE (eligible for parole every 5 days)

*Parole (if applicable)
GRANTED
DENIED (try again 5 days later)
Now all we have to do is figure out what kinds of crimes are covered, and the courthouse will be packed!

Mad Poster
#11 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
The only kind of crime my hood has is the charlatan who picks pockets, and the NPC burglars. I have been debating implementing some kind of system to deal with the NPCs, so there's at least the appearance of justice. Perhaps I'll build a prison, and imprison them there if they get caught twice. I know the game would just generate new ones, but I don't mind that. Can simulate a sort of rebuild-your-life-program that the NPC burglars go into after they serve their sentence.

Maybe you can clone the Charlatan's appearance to make him a real Sim, move him into a jail, and use a hack (or just the VC) to ban him from all lots.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 9:43 PM
Crime? I have to do something about that?
Isn't that what my superhero should be doing? (As long as he leaves those favourite sims of mine in the criminal career track alone, of course ).
Forum Resident
#13 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 10:22 PM
Oh, FranH, I LOVE this thread! It is just in time, too. I'm in the process of creating rules and trying to figure out an economic system for my tiny 'hood.

So far, I've implemented only a few rules: No20kHandouts; 1 mayor (currently unpaid); min 3 mechanical points required to build anything: bed, chair, stove, hut, etc.

I absolutely love iHate's pet licensing idea (I'm gonna steal it!). Soon, I'll be implementing seasonal taxes (probably based on gross household worth) and fees for marriage, divorce, birth, death & cemetery burial; fines & possible jail time for fighting, stealing and other offenses.

Also, I recently completed a Random Occurrence rule list but have not yet put it into use. It needs tweaking. Some things won't apply to children and my current hood has no hospital or asylum.

Sims Random Occurrences
1) Each Season
**Roll dice to see which household will be affected.
**Roll dice to see who in that household will be affected.
**Roll a 6-sided die to determine type of occurrence: Accident; Windfall; Tragedy; etc.
**Roll a 6-sided die to determine which event.
1 - Accident:
1) Broken arm -- No Work 2 days; $1,000 Doctor/Hospital Fees
2) Broken leg -- No Work 3 days; $1,500 Doctor/Hospital Fees
3) Minor accident public property damage, $1,000 restitution to city treasurer
4) Major accident public property damage, $2,000 restitution to city treasurer
5) Stitches -- 1 day no work; $500 Doctor Fees; scar
6) Major Injury
1-2) Hospitalized overnight; No Work 2 days; $1,500 Doctor/Hospital Fees
3) Hospitalized 2 nights; No Work 2 days; $2,000 Doctor/Hospital Fees
4) Hospitalized 2 nights; No Work 3 days; $2,000 Doctor/Hospital Fees
5) Hospitalized 2 nights; $2,000 Doctor/Hospital Fees; Permanently Disabled
6) Die -- $500 death fee
2 - Windfall:
1) $100
2) $300
3) $500
4) $750
5) $1,000
6) $2,000
3 - Lot Tragedy:
1) Fire - Kitchen -- lose stove; Hire worker to repaint kitchen (materials plus $500)
2) Earthquake -- house demolished (move out family; bulldoze lot)
3) Flood - Living room -- lose all living room furniture; Hire worker to replace floor (materials plus $500)
4) Locusts -- Lose 1/2 of all crops
5) Animal disease - Lose 1/2 of all livestock
6) Tornado -- Nothing -- lucked out because it skipped this Sim's home
4 - Event:
1) Adopt a pet
2) Throw Party
3) Robbed -- Lose $500
4) Change career (unless self employed)
5) Lose job (must wait 3 days to find new job); if self employed (must hire worker to do job for 3 days)
6) Adopt child
5 - Illness:
1) Minor; $200 Doctor Fee
2) Minor, entire family; $200 per person Doctor Fee
3) Major, Hospitalized 2 nights; No Work 2 days; $2,000 Doctor/Hospital Fees
4) Depression; lock self in bedroom; miss 1 day work (OK to eat in room)
5) Psychotic Break; 2 nights in Asylum; $2,000 Doctor/Asylum Fees
5) Severe Psychotic Break: commit to Asylum
After 5 days . . .
1-3) Release, $5,000 Doctor/Asylum Fees
4-5) Roll again in another 5 days; if released, Sim owes $1,000 Doctor/Asylum per day committed.
6) Permanent Asylum Resident!
6 - Nothing: Phew! Lucked out with that roll!

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#14 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Maybe you can clone the Charlatan's appearance to make him a real Sim, move him into a jail, and use a hack (or just the VC) to ban him from all lots.

Nah. Nobody can catch the Charlatan, he's too good for that But those NPC Burglars are less successful at evading the police. Just seems very strange to have the burglar get caught, and then you move to a new household and there he is again. At some point the police ought to stop letting them go free after catching them, since clearly they aren't getting the message that burglaries aren't allowed I was planning on having the police chief befriend them and try to steer them in the right direction, but I like the idea of jail first Guess I need to build a jail!

Forum Resident
#15 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
At some point the police ought to stop letting them go free after catching them, since clearly they aren't getting the message that burglaries aren't allowed

Yeah, I feel the same way about real life criminals, but there they are, multi-offenders walking the streets with the rest of us.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Instructor
#16 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 10:45 PM
These town rules are amazing! It's making me want to start doing so for a neighbourhood like Pleasantview.

@ihatemandatoryregister I love Skip's law, the idea of his death causing a rule about pool ladders to be brought through is great.

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 11:03 PM
Thanks. A lot of what I come up with depends on what happens in my Sims games. For example, with the recent upsurge in alien abductions in recent years, alien rights is something of an issue in my neighborhood, and Lola Loner (nee Curious) actually is aiming to become the first alien hybrid to hold public office.

Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 11:48 PM
I don't really have any rules. I tried once for limiting the number of children. Only two (or three if twins) children permitted per couple. Any third or fourth child went to a boarding school. Any subsequent children went to a badly-run orphanage and those kids became the new poor downtown. Of course it did nothing to limit the number of children. The richest family ended up having 6 kids.
I keep forgetting how many sims are at the top of their careers so I have ended up with 3 mayors and 2 chiefs of staff. I figured there was a mayor for each subhood.
My game is highly unorganised compared to some (if not most) of you!
Link Ninja
#19 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 2:52 AM
Government:
The Mayorship is like a president-level office in my hood since it's the top political career. There is only one and they are mayor of all the hood and sub-hoods.
A council of congress sims makes legislation - there can be no more than 5.

Education System:
Children and Teens can have private prep school or public education and anyone can go to college but Skilling effort determines where one can go.
1 - No skill points, they can take online courses and get a degree, but only non-specialized careers ie. cannot be a doctor, scientist, or lawyer through community college
2 - Some skill points (but not 7+ in one skill or 2 in each), they can go to community college and work on getting badges to be better at businesses. Still no specialized career degrees available
3 - Earn at least good grades scholarship and have 2 skills in every possible category, they can go to Sim State or La Fiesta Tech
4 - Earn at least good grades scholarship and a specialized scholarship, they can go to the ivy leagues (Academie Le Tour)

Crime:
As long as there's a captain hero, there is no mob boss (criminal mastermind). However a chance for a boss starts once there are no active captain heroes. Each sub hood has it's own police force, so one chief of police for any subhood but they don't have to live in the same sub hood since there's a lot of communing.

2 judges per sub hood to carry out the law on other riff raff - though it's mostly just the burglars because crime rates have been very low for a long time because there had been a captain hero.

Economy
No rules
No interest
No problem
(at least for the wealthy, established families)

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 3:24 AM
Other ideas for a working hood rule set:

Political Fundraising:
Mayor Mary Sue Pleasant owns the Campaign Headquarters, which is stocked with a dessert cart, chairs, a long table, portapotty, and 6 of those KatyPC call stations. Every once in a while, she'll go to the Headquarters to 'meet & greet' her constituents and they repay her by eating the food and working the consoles to raise money for her re-election. This is volunteer work, and all proceeds go to the Mayor.

When she retires, a new Mayor will be sworn in, and take over the Campaign Headquarters. The proceeds from this venture (as stated) could be re-election, personal expenses, public expenses, (witness the payouts to all the released prisoners she did. That was courtesy of her campaign fund..) and other miscellaneous items. College tuition for those who are too poor to pay for their education, for example.

Cemeteries:
There is no caretaker of the Cemetery yet-but the position is open. Applicant should not be afraid of ghosts or things that go bump in the night. When the right applicant is chosen, the pay for his work will come from the Town's budget, and the Mayor will send out a paycheck every week (Monique's payer system) to them. Applicant must live on grounds of cemetery for pay to be disbursed.

Meet Me In My Next Life
#21 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 3:24 AM Last edited by Simonut : 10th Oct 2017 at 3:48 AM.
In my game this is how it goes:

1. Chief Of Staff : ( hospital ) I have more than one Sims in that position. My reasons is because in most town or neighborhood in "real life" there is more than just one hospital around, who said Sims can only be chief Of Staff at just one hospital if there are more hospitals,Just pretend or imagine there are in the game. lol

2. Mayor: Long term or until retirement. ( Only one ) for that town. Sims are not please with the current mayor. well it neutral with some Sims.

3. Business Tycoons : Always more than one Sims in that position just like our world the Sims world need Tycoons, after all who will help and give Simoleons to build those buildings, banks and parks and bridges and schools, and shopping centers.

4 .Military : Any Sims can serve but few can climb there way up the ranks. Counter Intelligent, Flight Officer, Senior officer, Commander (two ) General (two ). I need all these Sims to serve and protect their country.
After all there are Aliens and UFO from that place called Strange Town. :cylon:

5. Law Enforcement : I have more than one Sims in that position as police officers but Only one Chief of Police, but the Sims citizens are still not happy because they are still getting their house robbed by the burglar.

6. Journalism: How else will Sims know what is going on in their city or town. ( I have more than one Sims in that position. )

7. Science: About two Sims I have because they need to discover new medicines for new diseases. But sometime a few become a "Mad Scientist" then a few turn into being completely crazy.

8. Creative Sims: Music , Artist ,Culinary, Gamer, Show Business it depend on the Sims personality there could be more than one.

9. Education: I have more than one teachers but few can reach the top of being Education Minister. ( one only ) University the teens "MUST" have good grades to get in and conduct,
which means no sneaking out after hours from home and begin caught by police. (No strike on their record )

10. Law : Unfortunately Sims are not all saints they get in trouble so more than one Lawyer is needed for help.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#22 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 12:39 AM
Government

The neighbourhood is technically split into two, with Sims able to visit one another.

Polgannon (the main hood) is ruled by the British government or the Sim equivalent. On a day-to-day basis, whoever is the head of the Polgarth family is the face of government. There is no sub-government present in Polgannon because putting one into a small village would be just plain silly.

SimHampton (the commercial subhood) is ruled by a High Ruler. This is a monarchy, though dynasties have rarely worked for long (the Jones family of seven rulers is the exception, but the only remaining eligible member, orphaned child Eparnika Jones, is unlikely ever to rule) and abdications are considerably more common than one would expect. If no heir is produced by a High Ruler, then typically the head of the wealthiest family rules. Any Sim who dies or abdicates cannot regain the High Rulership (otherwise there'd be two eligible Joneses for the post - Emmy Jones fails on both counts). Matters the High Ruler doesn't consider important enough to rule on themselves are delegated to an 8-Sim council... ...when the High Ruler calls one. At the moment, it's perhaps understandable because the High Ruler is almost entirely confined to bed with cybersickness - even the ceremonial functions she does to prevent a succession battle are against doctor's orders. (In practise, the High Ruler's chief servant has executive power, but it's limited by statute and doesn't include the ability to summon the Planning Council. This seems like an oversight). Neither High Rulers nor palace servants are allowed to work at any job whatsoever, nor may they own any business property (the royal properties are held in trust and are technically unowned commercial lots, except for SimHampton University, which is a... ...wait for it... ...university).

When the Planning Council is running, the 8 Sims are elected once per year, based on their popularity and luck. Instances of Planners actually completing their entire year are rare, as they are apt to do awkward things like get married, get assigned to ambassadorial posts in other parts of SimNation, and get arrested (in SimHampton, evil politicians can be and often are kicked out of office mid-term, and get the same prison terms as everyone else). Planners are allowed to keep their side jobs, provided the hours don't clash with Planning Council meetings, but may not check into or visit their owned lots. Votes are for specific positions, in order of perceived importance:

Head Planner (who is meant to be a Prime Minister-type person, though for some reason no Head Planner has ever been taken very seriously)
Planner for Finance (who is meant to ensure taxes are collected, town banking facilities work and new benefits are budgeted)
Planner for the Interiour (who sorts out all in-SimHampton matters not sorted by anyone else, notably including non-violent crime and religion)
Planner for the Outer (who is responsible for peacetime relations with Polgannon, The Drioru Forest, SimColony, the Valgon Isles and all the rest of SimNation)
Planner for the Arts (who is supervises the Amarilla Arts Festivals, the Architect of SimHampton and other arty endeavours)
Planner for Sciences (who supervises the Spaceport network, licences independent scientists and regulates the hobby lots)
Planner for Scholars (who supervises SimHampton University and its Dean, encourages learning for all Sims and promotes rational thinking)
Planner for Defence (who supervises SimHampton's cyberstorm defenses, runs the anti-crime systems and is responsible for wartime relations, if any)

In practise, responsibilities are often very fluid. However, new politicians always start in the "lower" positions. Promotions to "higher" vacancies that arise are based on a combination of voting record (the more often a Sim votes for resolutions that pass or against ones that fail, the better), aspiration level (the higher the better) and whether I think that Sim would be interested in switching role (sometimes, that ex-military Planner for Defence might know they're ideally suited to their current role and not consider Planner for the Arts to be an improvement). All Planners live in the Planning Council building. Meetings are once every few rotations or as necessary/when I feel like it.

The Mayor, and other officials

There can only be one Mayor... ...and they can only be Mayor for one day. After that day, they become High Ruler, and it's compulsory for the High Ruler to leave their jobs (conflict of interest law).

Every other position can have infinite members. Excess people are simply assumed to work out of town (but not in Polgannon) and commute every workday.

Prison officers must work in Law Enforcement or an allied custom job (such as, appropriately, the Prison Officer career). There must be at least one per prison (at the moment there are three, working in the only prison and guarding exactly one prisoner - who, in fairness, is not only a tough customer but also ridiculously charming and wily, making three guards just about a fair match).

Economy

Taxes will resume in SimHampton very soon. The agreed rate is $200 per adult Sim and $100 per teen/elder per weekday, with $100 discount per baby/toddler/child in the household and total exemption for:

- any Sim who has any sort of contagious illness (tax collectors don't fancy getting ill on duty, even if it's a mere cold)

- any Sim with cybersickness (as they are rarely healthy enough to pay)

- visibly pregnant Sims (work isn't great for their health, even though they usually can get to payment facilities)

- Sims who live in the Royal Palace or Planning Council (they collect the taxes, it would be silly to ask them to pay themselves!)

- any Sim currently doing ambassadorial duties, or any other job ordered by the High Ruler or the Planning Council (as an incentive for such work to actually be done)

- the Sim is, for any reason, living at a prison (prisoners are not allowed control of their own finances, so it would be unfair to tax them)

- Any household with less than $1000 cash-in-hand as of 9 am on a given day, after considering any bills, known loan interest and upcoming liabilities such as pet adoption fees (not so much to give poor Sims a break, rather because an economy where money circulates freely is assumed to be a healthy economy). Amusingly, money in the form of coins in inventory or framed wall decorations are not classed as cash-in-hand, even though they are legal tender in SimHampton. "Well, it's not cash-in-hand, more like cash-in-cyberspace or cash-on-the-velveteen-wall-or-maybe-wallpaper-if-you're-into-that-sort-of-thing...", to quote Si Ham Banker, advisor to the Planner for Finance and co-founder of the SimHampton International Bank. It goes without saying that property and other inventory items also don't count towards the $1000 cash-in-hand limit.

University students will possibly pay tuition fees instead (to be arranged later). Adult/elder university students who are living at home will in any case be exempt from taxes even if they live at home. Whatever the arrangement, children will be exempt from fee and tax alike, and teens either exempt or only subject to the tax.

The number of jobs available to Sims is variable. I have long since set it so I can't easily see what Lifetime Want a Sim has. This combination makes things interesting for work. If a Sim wants a job, to earn $100+ or is at risk of not meeting their bill payments, and they don't have a job or business already, they must take one of the jobs in the computer or newspaper - if they have them and if any jobs appear in their listings for that day. (If multiple choices exist, a Sim may pick between them).

A new rule has been instituted, which restricts jobs to Sims who can pass an interview. Interests are used to decide which job interviews a Sim can pass.

Welfare

There is a cluster of "careers" that amount to welfare. If a Sim looks for a job and one of these appears as an option, they must accept it and remain on it, at least until they are promoted once and show some interest in not being on welfare - or else lose the "job" through poor performance or accepting a job offer initiated by another Sim. However, a Sim who leaves welfare for any reason cannot be on that welfare option again, unless they've just been in the "Disability" welfare stream.

More often, a Sim who is skint will opt to become a servant to a wealthier family. In return for room and board, they will do whatever work needs doing, only fitting in independent work around the needs of their new family. Note that a Sim has the enshrined right to leave such a job after one day in post, and that their family must also be paid a gratitude bonus on commencing work (between $1000 and $4000, depending on how wealthy the family taking on the servant is) along with daily visiting rights. This combination ensures that servants are treated well, and in many households are treated almost (or exactly the same as) members of the family instead of employees. Although not required, leaving bonuses are often awarded to faithful servants so that they may give themselves and their families a good (re)start and become the social (if not necessarily economic) peers of their former employers.

There is an orphanage, which currently has 1 toddler, 3 children and 1 teenager in it. The head of the orphanage delivers pizza to make ends meet.

Education System

All Sims must attend the local primary school (for children). No ifs, no buts, no maybes... ...except if the student has cybersickness, because they would not be well enough to learn anything or enjoy themselves. The primary school is thorough in its teaching but also gentle. Nearly every child is happy with it. Sometimes, school doesn't even set homework...

Homeschooling is allowed at secondary school level (for teens) and is a highly respected, if not very popular, option. A free boarding school exists for elves and half-elves who wish to become better-acquainted with elven culture; it has a reputation for being very difficult, with unusually long hours, high standards in both academic and vocational terms, and strict rules. Most students, however, choose to stay at SimHampton's secondary school.

There is a university outreach programme available for students in the primary and secondary school. It is deemed "private school" since it's not bound by SimHampton's syllabus, but as it is students attending lectures at SimHampton University (which is owned by the High Ruler) and getting degree credit for it, Students who attended university outreach for 8 years (um, days) are awarded a degree. If doing fewer than 8 days, a % chance exists of this being converted to a degree. A student with 9 or more days (out of a maximum of 21, if all possible childhood/teen days were spent in the outreach programme) can get a second degree. If a degree-holding student (whether possessing one or two Bachelor's degrees) then goes to university, they will do a Master's course and automatically be allowed full-length semesters. Occasionally, a student doing this ends up with two bachelor's and one Master's degree, all in different subjects (Xavier Student, I'm looking at you). Their degree-level studies are mostly paid for by the government as these are classed as part of their formal education. A $200 contribution is charged to each participating household, but this is refunded if the Sim/household is exempt from taxes.

All secondary students, regardless of education option, is eligible to take the SUET each month. This is an imaginary 4-hours-including-two-compulsory-breaks exam (which I once wrote a sample paper and mark scheme for) with questions on every major subject at university and also a "generic" question. Among the students, it is legendary for the very wide variety of difficulty levels, from "my toddler sibling could get this right if only they could read" to "what do you mean, this topic actually exists?". The point of this is purely to gain entrance to SimHampton University; young teenagers and those not interested in entrance are actively encouraged to doodle on the exam paper or otherwise use it to quietly amuse themselves. Most students will attempt it 2-3 times during their teenage years.

In any case, an A- or better is needed on the SUET to gain entrance into SimHampton University in the usual way. It is also necessary to beat local competition. as there are never more than 8 entrants to SimHampton University per month. They must all start in the same place (dorm or house) and stay there at least a month before joining other options (different dorm/house, seminary, Greek house). Sometimes, there are other options.

Adults and elders may study for a(nother) degree as a career. This is not only exempt from tuition fees, but also pays a fairly generous salary. Win-win!

Banking

Loans exist, but are limited to 10% of the borrower's home lot value for personal purposes. There are few takers - if you are eligible for a loan, you probably have enough money not to need one. That's the way the rulers of SimHampton like it - more ability for them to borrow money when needed for the town. (As it happens, the town is in credit rather than debit, but the option is always nice).

Law and Order

Until the matter of Blaise Pehagalian's murder is solved to the police's satisfaction, nobody can leave Polgannon to go on holiday, university or to move into a SimHampton household. They can, however, visit people in SimHampton. Likewise, SimHampton citizens can't move into Polgannon until the police close that particular case. (SimHampton University, for its part, thinks the law is being unnecessarily restrictive and has temporarily shut its doors in protest. Don't worry - all the staff remain on full pay).

On more general terms, Polgannon and SimHampton have completely separate legal systems. Polgannon's will be based on a Sim(pl)ified version of English law, and for the most part criminals are fined or given stern warnings at present. SimHampton's perhaps takes more explanation.

Low-level criminals have insurance to cover the fines and community service they may get for their actions, but high-level criminals have a chance of being sent to prison. Furthermore, a fairly wide variety of one-off crimes are punished with prison time. Prisoners must go to a small cell, where they are expected to spend their time reading and gardening (every cell has a small allotment and a bookcase with sofa). Prisoners who behave well enough to go on supervised probation may also have an entry-level job. Once prisoners appear to have learnt their lesson, they are released. However, prisoners sometimes escape or find a way of breaking the law in prison. If they do, they are given more time in prison. Build up too much penalty, and all that awaits at the end of the prison sentence is exile. (Where to is a mystery since there's not really anywhere to go).

Cemetary and related matters

All neighbourhoods must have a cemetary. Polgannon has St Genny's Church. SimHampton has the Royal Park and sometimes its own church. SimHampton University tends to use some quadrangle in the corner. Occasionally, a Sim will choose to have a gravestone at home, surrounded by blue flowers and bamboo, instead.
Scholar
#23 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 4:26 AM
These are the rules for Sheffield. My other 4 hoods exist for the purpose of having different rules.

Mayor and Other Officials
For the most part, I only allow one Sim at the top of a career track, two on level 9, etc. There are some exceptions: there can be any number of professional party guests and space pirates, and any number of Captain Heroes (but only one Police Chief, so there's a bottleneck on that career track).

Employment
Sims can only apply for jobs on a Monday (unless they graduate and join a household partway through the week, in which case they can apply on that day and it is considered that they are still using Monday's paper). All Sims can use the newspaper but only graduates can use the computer.
For most jobs, a Sim must 'apply' by rolling percentile dice; the number they need to be successful depends on their education, lifetime or current wants, and (if looking to make a career change) their position in their current job. Criminals and adventurers are considered self-employed and can take a job immediately it shows up; Sims who want to be in the military are automatically accepted unless they are very unfit.
Sims may be made redundant on Sunday evenings, again via percentile dice. Self-employed Sims, those whose job is described as 'freelance' by Maxis, and members of the military are exempt, as are Sims on maternity leave and Sims who have just been promoted. If a Sim has gained the 'plead for job' aspiration benefit, they may roll again if the first roll indicates redundancy. A Sim who is made redundant will be familyfunded with any outstanding vacation pay and must then call work and quit.

Extra Money
Unemployed Sims get welfare benefits, paid on Sunday night. If they are renting, they get $1000 for each bedroom they are considered to need, plus $300 per elder, $200 per adult and $100 per child. They are also entitled to a Crib Allowance of $500 when their first child is born.
Sims on low incomes can get the Crib Allowance and a prorated amount of other benefits.
College graduates can write one article a day on Monique's computer.
Any Sim who is able to give financial advice may do so, but it has to be an autonomous action.
Any Sim with a yard can grow and sell vegetables.

Teens
Teens are instructed to do homework only if they roll a want to do so, or if they want to get the Young Entrepreneurs Award and need to maintain good grades to keep their job.
Teen employment is optional and any money earned belongs to the teen.

College
Any Sim can go to college, if their school grade is high enough. College Sims are mostly played on fast-forward and are only instructed to study if they roll a want to do so. College is generally free, except for dorm fees of $500 for the first semester and $200 thereafter; with several Sims in a dorm, this easily covers the bills and maid service, and Sims get a share of the outstanding funds when they leave.
Academie Le Tour offers an additional tuition program, designed to ensure that a Sim actually completes their degree. This costs $40,000, payable in full in advance. The military covers this for officers' children and for any Sim whose LTW is to become General.

Banking
College students are required to open a bank account and deposit everything except their dorm fees. Other Sims can have a bank account if they wish.
Mortgages (mortgage bushes) are available for employed Sims who have at least one child and need to get out of overcrowded rentals.
Sims on welfare may use Cyjon's loan jar, but the loan must be repaid immediately they get their next welfare payment. If they can't pay, they have to sell stuff, move in with relatives, or move to a tiny hostel room.

Law and Order
Any Sim attempting to steal a newspaper or knock over a garbage can will be smitten by the mighty batbox!
Telescope peepers must pay their victim $1000 for the first offence; if they offend again they must pay $5000 and forfeit their telescope.
Students who start more than two fights are expelled from college, regardless of grades. If they had paid for extra tuition, there is no refund.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#24 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 11:22 PM
I really love everyone set rules here. :lovestruc It help with more adding rules for the Sims thanks FranH for starting this post I enjoy reading everyone rules.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".