Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 3:39 AM
Default Pet Peeves In the Sims 3
I have a few pet peeves about the Sims 3...

- The lighting. If you place one light in the room, the corners are dark. Place them in the corners, the center is dark. Place them all around, it looks terrible. Only way to fix is use the buydebug ones.

Okay ya that's my only one.

scooby dooby don't
Advertisement
Alchemist
#3 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 6:40 AM
After playing a genie for the first time, I hate how they roll the "Make House Spotless and Sparky" wish every time there's a dirty object in the room (even a plate). It's particularly nasty because:
1) even if I cancel the wish, it comes back immediately (the very moment that "wish gone" sparkle disappears, there's another "Make House Spotless and Sparky" wish behind it);
2) all the sparkles on the lot make the game lag terribly. It's almost like watching a GIF.

Oh, and I also dislike how I can't set zombies on fire multiple times in a row. After blasting one with Fire Blast, I only get the option for Ice Blast on him (and vice versa). What gives, EA?!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
After playing a genie for the first time, I hate how they roll the "Make House Spotless and Sparky" wish every time there's a dirty object in the room (even a plate). It's particularly nasty because:
1) even if I cancel the wish, it comes back immediately (the very moment that "wish gone" sparkle disappears, there's another "Make House Spotless and Sparky" wish behind it);
2) all the sparkles on the lot make the game lag terribly. It's almost like watching a GIF.

Oh, and I also dislike how I can't set zombies on fire multiple times in a row. After blasting one with Fire Blast, I only get the option for Ice Blast on him (and vice versa). What gives, EA?!
oh, I hate the genie thing. My child genie sim, literally 5 seconds after I fulfilled it, would roll it again. If I cancel, same thing. And I can accept it and do nothing, but then it just takes up space. And for me, it's even if there's no dirty object.

scooby dooby don't
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Isn't that how it is in real life?

Anyhow, there are various lighting mods you can try to find one to your preference. I personally like my nights darker, so it is more realistic.
do you have a link?

scooby dooby don't
Alchemist
#7 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 11:11 AM
BrntWaffles also has a ton of lighting mods, but I second Buhudain's mod.
I also recommend using the Skyrim star field by BrntWaffles; together with any lighting mod, the nights look amazing.

Yeah, in the end I gave up on the genie, meaning I removed their Genie trait via cheats. His magic was draining too fast and he did too little to make me feel sorry about replacing his occult status with that of a Witch.

Another thing that's mildly annoying but not enough to make me actually hate it is how you can't move fish, insects and gems/ores from the family inventory directly to a chest, fridge or another sim's personal inventory. When you have relatives dying and their inventory getting transferred to yours, it's annoying to have to move dozens of gems on the floor, then to the inventory so the sim can have them cut (same goes for the fish and fridge).
Alchemist
#8 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 11:21 AM
Routing issues.

ROUTING ISSUES.

Apparently, 5 miles in any direction is not enough space, according to routing issues.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 9:19 AM
My biggest pet peeve was the bug-fest known as EA's "story progression" ruining our games.My next one was every world being pre-populated with no options for starting unpopulated unless we made our own custom worlds.I had to create my own worlds and load up with tons of Mods including 88 NRaas Mod files just to have it be playable or it ends up turning into this awful unplayable nightmare.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 6:18 PM
Seconding the routing issues. Speaking of which, one of my biggest pet peeves is not being able to move sims through moveobjects on without them melting through floors -_- I wish I could just teleport/invite over a bunch of people like I did in TS2 and then place them in groups in different rooms on different floors on the lot when throwing a big party, instead of having them crowd outside my front door and route-fail all around each other in the hallway.

Another pet peeve is the lack of room for expansion in some EA worlds. I know there're custom worlds/improved versions out there, but since I'm relatively new to TS2 and still trying the EPs out one by one, it's a pain in the ass to not be able to go past the 3rd gen in a world without getting a dozen SP pop-ups every day about couples or families not finding a place to live.

And ah, sims rolling wishes to buy/use certain objects available all the time. For the last time, James, you're supposed to be a five-star celebrity diva and movie star, stop wanting to go play hopscotch with your son's teenage friends every time they come over.
One Minute Ninja'd
#11 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 8:31 PM
I really freaking hate it when a simple game of tag ends up in the pool. In winter, to add insult to the stupidity.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 8:54 PM
all those ugly premade EA houses. I literally just moved a family of 3, soon to be 4, into starlight shores and immediately had to build them a custom house because the available options made me cringe. and oh man, when I went into sunset valley to play the bachelors for bit? I almost cried at how ugly their house was.
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:09 PM
Zombies cant turn other sims into zombies, to my knowledge at the moment. Staying on the zombie topic, is there a mod where the pervious statement is fixed (Where Zombies can turn other to zombies like how vampires can turn others into vampires.)
Test Subject
#14 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:18 PM
Why can't my puppies go down the stairs to pee outside? Why can't they get a toy from the toy box? I can't even train them to hunt. When my dog was a puppy she could safely go up and down stairs, get her toys from her toy box, and we trained her to hunt about a week after we got her. EA, why do you just have the aim to make me go, WTH ARE YOU DOING RETARDS?
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 12:48 AM
-Lighting

-Ugly townies + Houses (Why I only play in one town, Sims 2 style)

-My game "processing" and never stops when I try to create a large household in cas.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 2:11 AM
Routing issues in general are pretty bad, but the horses are the worst.

They did so much else decently in that EP, did they just give up before fixing horse routing?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 3:16 AM
Lighting- shadows fading out when your camera is near ground level really ruins worlds. If there's a mod to fix this, let me know!

Broken multi-storey lighting since World Adventures. Also, ugly lighting for sims. Shadows are too flat outside, and too dark inside.

Choppy and non-integrated expansions (Late Night & Showtime!)

Ugly babies- need to have their model replaced.

Sims not as quirky and endearing as sims in the Sims 2.

Shortcuts in animations- disappearing into a car, merry-go-round,etc.

No true Open-for-Business expansion, meaning no true grocery stores, etc.

Inefficient programming meanings glitches and errors + routing errors for horses

Still, I wouldn't give up the open world for anything else outside of a Sims 2 remake (no, the Sims 4 does not count).
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 5:15 AM
I don't have showtime, but Late Night is one of my favorite expansions and it isn't choppy at all. You probably have a sim stuck in a high-rise shell. Download NRAAS overwatch to solve this issue.

I think what they meant by choppy and non-integrated is that late night and showtime should've been one expansion pack instead of two because they have a similar theme. at the least, we should've been able to have singers join bands. instead we got two separate packs that have basically no integration.

Quote:
]*sigh* unfortunately it gets worse when the horses start taking watertaxi with Island Paradise.

nraas go here has an option to turn off boat routing, which I use in every world that isn't isla paradiso. in isla paradiso itself the only thing I can think of is to get rid of horses entirely.

wow. I don't even bat an eye at things like horses taking water taxies anymore. I just sort of expect that sort of thing from EA at this point.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 6:02 AM
Not a mod, but TAB-camera mode will have full shadow at any angle. The reason is if they have shadows that fully extends out through the game, it would lag even more. So if you are taking screenshots etc..., switch to the TAB-camera mode.

Quote:
Download the dynamic shadow mod (link above) to get better shadows.

If you look behind the sim, the shadows still fade out- and it's a problem when you have long views. I asked about this before (http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...ht=shadow+fade), and was directed to this mod (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=367164), which looked promising. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work.

Quote:
Hmm, I've always been under the impression there are no multi-story lightings. When I build something with "high ceiling," I use "buydebug" for the area lighting. Place the area lighting on the 1st floor and place the actual light fixture on the 2nd floor.

The bugdebug lights are a semi-fix, but the gaps still show. I believe that before World Adventures, at least the exterior lighting was multi-floor, and if you take a look at pre-World Adventures (very rare) images, they show it:

http://modthesims.info/d/376150

I don't remember anything about interior lighting, though. Here's a small tip though- lights not on lots still illuminate properly, so I use those instead in CAW.

Quote:
I don't have showtime, but Late Night is one of my favorite expansions and it isn't choppy at all. You probably have a sim stuck in a high-rise shell. Download NRAAS overwatch to solve this issue.

I mean in terms of content integration. Features were not properly fleshed out, which is a real shame.
Alchemist
#22 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 7:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SachiGlowdream
Zombies cant turn other sims into zombies, to my knowledge at the moment. Staying on the zombie topic, is there a mod where the pervious statement is fixed (Where Zombies can turn other to zombies like how vampires can turn others into vampires.)

Yes, they can, via biting. I've even had ghost zombies biting other ghosts and them turning into zombies
Then again, this is only NPC zombies. I haven't tried with playable ones.

Um... go to edit world and click the "modify world" button, you can actually create more empty lots.

Sadly, that only works when unroutable terrain doesn't get in the way. Plus it's ugly to have a lot in the middle of nowhere, especially if it's a community lot :/

I agree with MysticCandy about Starlight Shores. When I opened it up I set out to give it a major overhaul - basically rebuilding every lot that allowed it with the high rise shells from Late Night and the skyscraper tops from Roaring Heights. It's supposed to be a big, modern city, so why all the short and ugly buildings In the end I gave up on it before I even started playing. And yes, I had to add a LOT of 30x30 lots because the unroutable terrain didn't allow for bigger ones.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 1:30 PM
Yeah it is highly world dependent, but it does give the option of adding lots, some better than others. I also like chopping up lots, you know sometimes you have 64x64 lot and it is just a waste of space, rather chop it into 2 or more lots.

Hmm, I'm under the impression some worlds get broken routing when you chop up their lots, though? I've heard that some community lots in the town center of Roaring Heights stopped working for some who tried this, for example.

And then there's the reputed overall broken world routing that appears at times when adding new lots. I got away with it safely in Bridgeport and SV, but my RH is lagging something terrible ever since I tried this, even with Overwatch and ErrorTrap. There may be other reasons, of course, but it does seem a little bit coincidental for it to appear now after having done this where before there was none. (I'm still in the beginning of 2nd gen, so it's definitely not an overpopulation issue, either.)
Page 1 of 3