Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 9:44 PM
Default Doorlock that keeps out some of the household members, but allows in NPC
So I'm currently playing the Landgraab's household and hired a butler, because the house is just way too big to manage even if I have a live-in servant and make the actual Landgraab family to do the chores. I made a servants' room in the basement for my live-in servant. There's a bunkbed in that room and I set the upper part of the bunkbed for the butler. The problem is, the main household members keep wanting to go there to use the shower, sleep on the bunkbed, eat on the table, etc. They have a much fancier, spacious, beautiful house and bigger and nicer bed alotted to them and I don't understand why they'd do that. So I kept it locked for the main Landgraab family so that only the servant can enter. Now the locking the door part was helpful to keep the Landgraab family out of the servant's room, but because of that the butler can't go there to sleep and I have to summon her every time at the mailbox. Is there a way to keep a room locked for specific house members but open for the butler?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 1:11 AM
1 - The Barrier to Entry item from the EA store, originally part of the Le Cinema Plumbob set, includes a security door that can be set to keep everyone except for your Service Sims out. The doors aren't especially pretty for a residential lot, but CASt can help a little.

2 - The next version of the NRaas GoHere mod, currently in beta testing, includes the ability to lock doors more selectively and use an almost infinite number of filters as defined in MasterController (beta testing version of MC also required) on any type of door or gate. It's still a little buggy, but available for anyone who wants to help test it out.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Update+History+Testing
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 1:26 AM
Yes I ran into this problem a lot too. What I notice is sims will go to the nearest location to take care of business. And they do not seem to calculate floor level. Thus, hypothetically, if you place the butler's room in the middle of the lot, even on the fifth floor, all sims will try their best to climb ladders and get there.

However, I thought MasterController already has functions to lock doors with options such as allowing you to specify which names to be locked out. You can simply put all the sims' names on it.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 1:30 AM
One of the later EPs and patches (Uni probably) included a somewhat better door locking function than that which came with the game originally. But no, this is not a function of MasterController alone.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
One of the later EPs and patches (Uni probably) included a somewhat better door locking function than that which came with the game originally. But no, this is not a function of MasterController alone.

I didn't install Uni intentionally, because this game is just taking up way too much space in the computer, and it lags a lot already . It's playable, but could definetely be better. Plus I thought that going to univ part was not so important in the story progression. However, I do have Seasons installed which I'm pretty sure came out later than Uni.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Yes I ran into this problem a lot too. What I notice is sims will go to the nearest location to take care of business. And they do not seem to calculate floor level. Thus, hypothetically, if you place the butler's room in the middle of the lot, even on the fifth floor, all sims will try their best to climb ladders and get there.

However, I thought MasterController already has functions to lock doors with options such as allowing you to specify which names to be locked out. You can simply put all the sims' names on it.

The servants' room is located on the edge of the lot, and the main living quarter is towards the center but the sims do move around a lot around the house during the day, and they just can't use one of the bathrooms on the first floor for some reason. I would pause the game, put a sim in that room using moveobjects in the build mode to bring them right in front of the tub or the toilet, and they'd still go out of the room and go around the wall and complain they can't get to it. Maybe that's why they register the servants' room's toilet as the one nearest. As for NRaas MasterController, I have it installed, but couldn't figure out how to get to that function to lock doors for specific sims. I did figure out some other useful things, like retrieving dead babies but I didn't know I could use it for that purpose.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 3:03 AM
Seasons was just before Uni, but I really meant the patch that came out around that time. Not the EP itself.

Problem is that I've had this testing version of GoHere in place for so long now that I've forgotten exactly which door locking commands are available without it and am not near enough to my game to check. I just remember that they are often not sufficient when you want to do more than keep your doggie from waking you up 10 sim minutes early every morning.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 8:32 PM
1 - The Barrier to Entry item from the EA store, originally part of the Le Cinema Plumbob set, includes a security door that can be set to keep everyone except for your Service Sims out. The doors aren't especially pretty for a residential lot, but CASt can help a little.

2 - The next version of the NRaas GoHere mod, currently in beta testing, includes the ability to lock doors more selectively and use an almost infinite number of filters as defined in MasterController (beta testing version of MC also required) on any type of door or gate. It's still a little buggy, but available for anyone who wants to help test it out.

I just checked the doors in the build mode one by one, and couldn't find "The Barrier to Entry" door. I do have Showtime installed, but couldn't find it. Maybe it's because I'm building on a residential lot? I haven't tried the NRaas GoHere mod, if it's beta testing I'm a bit hesitant because I'm not good at computer and if something goes wrong...I don't know if I'd be able to recover it. And in the Sims a lot of things could go wrong.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 3:16 AM
Barrier to Entry wasn't part of Showtime. It was part of the Le Cinema Plumbob premium content set from the EA store.
http://store.thesims3.com/setsProdu...&section=UpSell

It's also now available separately:
http://store.thesims3.com/productDe...=OFB-SIM3:62502

You don't need to place the fancy ticket machine to use the doors or restrict access to them as desired; inactive sims purchase tickets if you actually choose to invoke a price for entry without using the machines anyway. The security doors look like regular doors, except uglier and they have a flashing security light next to them. The Barrier to Entry gates and turnstiles can also be used the same way, with or without the ticket machine.

The beta testing version of GoHere isn't breaking anyone's games. But it does still throw a lot of unnecessary script errors (that can be ignored), it hates our own Careers mod Academic module (the Education major/degree in particular) with a fiery passion, and occasionally (rarely) sims are locked out of places that they shouldn't be. But all that will be fixed in time.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 3:46 AM

Can't wait for this to be released! It will be so useful for my Uni Sims who need to keep out annoying roommates from their bedrooms but need to lure their sexual conquests into the room.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
Can't wait for this to be released! It will be so useful for my Uni Sims who need to keep out annoying roommates from their bedrooms but need to lure their sexual conquests into the room.

From the way I recall Uni rommates behaving, just setting out objects that they cannot stand being around might be sufficient. You know, like bars of soap and textbooks to actually study from.
(just kidding, this won't really accomplish anything )
Scholar
#12 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 12:05 PM
Will the GoHere lock work with Bonehilda? I don't like that she's locked out too if I lock a door, I always have too unlock the doors to let her make the beds or clean assinged bathrooms.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by arathea
Will the GoHere lock work with Bonehilda? I don't like that she's locked out too if I lock a door, I always have too unlock the doors to let her make the beds or clean assinged bathrooms.

Good question. If one of my colleagues or someone else who is already playing with the beta version doesn't respond, I'll test this out. I've actually never had a Bohehilda in any of my games.
Site Helper
#14 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 4:37 PM
The options without the testing version of Go Here are Lock for everybody, lock for everybody except current household, lock for everybody except me, and I seem to have the option to specify sims for this door although I've never actually played with it because I'm mostly locking the garden gate to keep zombies out of the lettuce.
(I know EA owns Plants vs. Zombies, but veggie-eating zombies that are only zombies during the full moon aren't zombies. They're were-rabbits. One game full of them is enough. /rant)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook