Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2017 at 12:01 AM Last edited by Averex : 2nd May 2017 at 1:33 AM.
Default Help With TS4 Cottage-Style House?
Hi everyone

I've always been a terrible builder, but I've recently been trying to improve enough to be able submit something to MTS. My first attempt at this is a cottage-style house with a sort of southern look to it. I live in northern Florida so I often see a lot of houses with this style, so I thought it would be good to start with something I'm familiar with.

This is the look of the house I'm taking inspiration from:

I've finished the exterior of my version of the house, and this is what I've come up with:

I can't exactly pinpoint what it is, but something about it is a bit off-putting. Maybe it's the fact that it ended up looking a lot larger than I initially intended. The roof also looks a bit off (roofing is probably my least favorite part, no matter what I can never get it to look the way I want it to).

What do you guys think? Are there things I should fix to make the house look better? If so, what should I do to fix them?

Thanks for the help!
Screenshots

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st May 2017 at 7:22 AM
Good start! If you want the house to more closely match the reference picture, I'd suggest lowering the highest gable a bit below the peak, changing the style of roof on the porch and adding a contrasting element to the middle portion. Looking forward to seeing the inside!
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 1st May 2017 at 8:40 AM
Hi Averex
You are off to a good start. Please edit the title of this thread so the first word is TS4, so everyone knows which game you are using to build. Thanks!

Do you want the cottage to be as close to the inspiration picture as possible, or more like "in the style of" type of build? I am very fond of small cottage style homes, so I am excited to see how this progresses.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd May 2017 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
Good start! If you want the house to more closely match the reference picture, I'd suggest lowering the highest gable a bit below the peak, changing the style of roof on the porch and adding a contrasting element to the middle portion. Looking forward to seeing the inside!

I fixed the roof by changing it to a half gable and tried to make the house smaller, but I ran into the problem that is basically the reason that I hate roofing:

I really don't know how to fix this. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Also, could you elaborate on what you mean by a contrasting element?

Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Hi Averex
You are off to a good start. Please edit the title of this thread so the first word is TS4, so everyone knows which game you are using to build. Thanks!

Do you want the cottage to be as close to the inspiration picture as possible, or more like "in the style of" type of build? I am very fond of small cottage style homes, so I am excited to see how this progresses.

I'm trying to make it look as much like the inspiration picture as possible.
Screenshots

My Claim to Fame
Scholar
#5 Old 2nd May 2017 at 3:26 AM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to lowering the middle gable - the one with the peach colored shingles on it in the reference photo. You'll notice that it doesn't go all the way to the top/peak of the perpendicular roof. I'm afraid the only way I know to match the roofs back up for the small front section is to either expand the small front section back out to the original outer wall or pull the outer wall behind it in by one space too. It looks to me like the two sections share a common outer wall but I'd have to see the floor plan to know for sure. I think that the reference house has a hipped roof on the porch. You might try that and see if it works. What I meant by contrasting was the peach shingles/siding used in the middle gable in between the green sections in the reference photo. My apologies for not being more clear. You've done a good job matching the major elements of the reference photo! I, too, love little houses. Looking forward to updates!
Alchemist
#6 Old 2nd May 2017 at 3:16 PM
I've tried it ingame (TS3) myself, and the solution I have might require resizing your home, since proportions make a big difference when it comes too roofing, too.
My construction is only 10x14 at its deepest.

Facade:

Right elevation:

As you can see, I've built the front extension one block longer than the porch, as it appears to be like that in the original design. This helps against the clipping porch roof.

Left:

Here I've done what has been said before, created just one exterior wall without odds and angles, making it easy to put on the roof.

The small size of the home doesn't mean you can't put anything in there, or have a floorplan which isn't 'cottag-y'. The pictures below show what you *could* do, with the smaller, previously mentioned dimensions (10x14). (Tile flooring=Kitchen/bath/utility; Wood/Carpet=main/living/bedrooms)
Screenshots

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#7 Old 4th May 2017 at 7:33 AM
Love you Johnny!

New at Simszoo
Alchemist
#8 Old 5th May 2017 at 3:23 PM
@Averex
Did it help you in some way?

@attuned
Let's not rush things, okay?

#9 Old 5th May 2017 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
@attuned
Let's not rush things, okay?

New at Simszoo
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th May 2017 at 8:07 PM
I haven't returned to the house yet. Building honestly frustrates me a lot because I'm not good at it so I decided to take a breather before trying again lol

My Claim to Fame
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 8th May 2017 at 7:06 AM
Hi @Averex
I am a fan of you sims, for TS2 and TS4.

Building definitely takes some practice and patience. I think roofing is nearly everyone's least favorite part. I know when a build is giving me headaches, I need to put it aside for a while. Sometimes I come back to it and sometimes not. If/when you return to this project, we will be here.

New at Simszoo
Alchemist
#12 Old 13th May 2017 at 1:26 PM
Patience is a key, too. Sometimes you need to work slowly and patient on a building for it to look nice.