Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 12:17 PM
Default Safest place to buy the whole Sims 2 games?
I want to buy all the Sims 2 and stuff packs for the PC, I seen them all at amazon site but had bad experiences with only getting a disc in the mail and no box or guides, so I'm hesitant to order from amazon.

Are there any safe reliable places or sites to buy DVD/CD rom PC version of all the Sims 2 games and stuff packs?

Please no digital download sites like steam, some mods Don't work with digital version's.

Thank you Craig
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mechanon
I have the UK disks for the basegame and all the expansions for PC and am now a mac owner with no desire to ever own a windows machine again. They're all in good nick complete with everything.

Anyone got any idea what they're worth or where is a good place to off load them?

Maybe you guys can work something out. XD
Field Researcher
#3 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 1:55 PM
When you had bad experiences with Amazon, did you buy new or used? Buying new might be a safer option. You could also look on eBay for sellers with good feedback, and as far as I know, if you don't receive your order as described, you can get money back from eBay. You could also try looking at your local game shop (I find that our local game shop still sells many old games, including some Sims 2 EPs) or maybe a used game shop near you?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 2:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Maybe you guys can work something out. XD

Unfortunately I just maxed out my last credit card buying this smartphone this month and can't charge anything tell it's paid off.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vixxen
When you had bad experiences with Amazon, did you buy new or used? Buying new might be a safer option. You could also look on eBay for sellers with good feedback, and as far as I know, if you don't receive your order as described, you can get money back from eBay. You could also try looking at your local game shop (I find that our local game shop still sells many old games, including some Sims 2 EPs) or maybe a used game shop near you?

I bought Seasons off of eBay, and it was supposed to be new, but was most definitely used. I supposed it serves me right for ordering from someone with only 50% positive feedback though... o_0
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 2:39 PM
Even if you buy used, as long as you get the code with the disk is all you need.

You can get all the info for the game at: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_2

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 2:50 PM Last edited by Rusty55 : 29th Sep 2014 at 3:01 PM.
I bought most of mine from amazon. Some were new, others were good used ones. Some of the used ones came with the manual and code and some didn't. However I did google for the codes that I needed and found ones that worked with my games.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by C_Guy
Unfortunately I just maxed out my last credit card buying this smartphone this month and can't charge anything tell it's paid off.
I think Charity was suggesting that you PM mechanon to see if you can come to some sort of a deal between you. He wants to sell his disks; you want to buy some! Only real problem I can see is that you're probably on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Unless he runs some sort of retail business, mechanon probably can't take payment by credit card anyway.

[EDIT]mechanon's post is in Stupid /Random Questions today.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bnefriends
I bought Seasons off of eBay, and it was supposed to be new, but was most definitely used. I supposed it serves me right for ordering from someone with only 50% positive feedback though... o_0

I only trust people with 90%+ positive feedback Reputable sellers are usually even willing to work out any issues so long as you don't give them negative feedback, as they realize reputation is more important than a few bucks
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 6:23 PM
Safest place to buy the whole Sims 2 games?
Is amazon using Paypal. If any thing goes wrong you have both Amazon and Paypal to go after the seller, one or the other will refund your money if needed.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 7:06 PM
At the moment eBay should be considered one of the least safe places to purchase anything including sims games.

The Brooke Family Legacy - Family Tree
Theorist
#12 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 8:18 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 29th Sep 2014 at 11:13 PM.
I've been on Ebay for 15 years, and in over 150 purchases I've only had 1 that was somewhat disappointing, for which I left negative feedback.

As others have said, as long as you buy from a reputable seller who has close to 100% positive feedback, there shouldn't be a problem. I've seen plenty of complete Sims 2 collections recently for as little as $50 Buy It Now. They start even cheaper with auctions.

With Amazon, I've only ever bought books used, and have not had any issues, but I would hesitate with other products, including computer games, because if the item turns out bad, there is less recourse for the buyer, other then perhaps through PayPal, but I'm not familiar with their Amazon policies.

Remember that PayPal was originally created to allow easy money transfers on Ebay, and in fact is owned by Ebay, so they have a mutually complementing relationship where it is in their interest to satisfy their customers. PayPal wants Ebay buyers and sellers to be happy.

During my 15 years on Ebay I've frequently heard supposed horror stories of unsatisfied buyers - and even sellers. In cases of unsatisfied buyers, it almost always turns out to be the naivety, carelessness and greed of the buyer that caused the heartache. This is typically revealed once the buyers tell you the details of the transaction.
The Ebay feedback system is there for a purpose, and if you buy from someone who has only a 50% positive feedback rating, then you deserve what you get, to be frank about it.

Also, there are a good number of people on the 'net who criticize Ebay for...political reasons, believe it or not. Not going to go into the How's and Why's of that, but it's there.

So my suggestion for finding a complete collection of TS2 is Ebay, followed by local used software or book stores, but you're unlikely to find complete collections there.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 8:31 PM
It was one of the hitmen games I bought at amazon.com that delivered a hitmen game with no box or manual.

I don't recall having any issues with amazon.ca, but then again I started looking at the sellers reputation percentage after getting that one bad hitmen sale.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 8:35 PM
I found all my copies of the Sims 2 EPs at my local used games store, check the one near you (if there is one near you.) You won't find the whole collection in one trip (at least I didn't, different ones were available at different times. I lost my Mansions and Gardens disc and bought a new one off Amazon.

The thing that bugs me about Ebay is the seller's fees (I used to buy and sell). All my buying experiences were great because I knew to look for sellers with close to 100% feedback scores. My selling experiences sucked alot of the time because of Ebay's 10% final value fee and Paypal's 2.9%+.30 fees.
Theorist
#15 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
I found all my copies of the Sims 2 EPs at my local used games store, check the one near you (if there is one near you.)

Bookman's is the place to go, eh? The one at Speedway and Wilmot typically has the best game selection, but I hit all three periodically. Have you been to the one up in Phoenix - and if so, how is it?
Theorist
#16 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 10:15 PM
It was one of the hitmen games I bought at amazon.com that delivered a hitmen game with no box or manual.

I don't recall having any issues with amazon.ca, but then again I started looking at the sellers reputation percentage after getting that one bad hitmen sale.

The problem with buying used stuff at Amazon is that the sellers only have 1 or 2 short lines to describe the item - and no pictures at all. All they can basically say is, "Yeah, I've got one for sale and it's good, trust me".

Compare that to Ebay, where the prospective buyer can ask questions before he bids or buys. The one good fall-back question to ask with things like computer games that require manuals and codes is, "Is the item complete?". If the seller replies with an unquestionable "Yes", then you're covered if it turns out not to be so. If the seller hesitates in his answer, then you know you need to either ask more questions or avoid altogether.
Use common sense. All the communication tools are there, use them.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 10:21 PM
I bought a second hand bundle off ebay to have a second set for my daughter. $100 got me every EP and SP (except Holiday )and every prima guide. I bought it off a power seller with good feedback. They said it had hardly been used and I believe them, it looks in very good nick. Since I bought every EP and SP for myself as it first came out I say that was a great deal. So yes, I would try Ebay and just pick your seller.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Bookman's is the place to go, eh? The one at Speedway and Wilmot typically has the best game selection, but I hit all three periodically. Have you been to the one up in Phoenix - and if so, how is it?

I was in the one at Speedway and Wilmot last night and they had no more PC games at all. That is where I did get mine, but now that they don't have PC games, its just the one on Grant and Campbell that has PC games at all. They had a few when I went in.

I never go to the one in Phoenix so I couldn't tell you (I don't make the 2 hour drive to Phoenix if I don't have to.)
Theorist
#19 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
I was in the one at Speedway and Wilmot last night and they had no more PC games at all. That is where I did get mine, but now that they don't have PC games, its just the one on Grant and Campbell that has PC games at all. They had a few when I went in.

I never go to the one in Phoenix so I couldn't tell you (I don't make the 2 hour drive to Phoenix if I don't have to.)

Did you look at all the carousels? I know they didn't have too many last time I was there, but they still had one carousel.
Well, that's too bad. All one sees anymore at game stores are the x-box and gamestation games and the like. The fools, don't they know PC games are better?
Haven't been to Phoenix myself for six years, the place is a nightmare - the heat, the smog, the endless highways with endless traffic - it's like a slightly smaller LA.
Instructor
#20 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:28 AM
Amazon is good for sims 2 and used codes are all over the internet if not included no biggie.

Goodwill/Secondhand stores that carry Dvds are a good place to look you may find some every once in a while for dirt cheap.

Idk how craigslist works in Canada if they even use that
But yeah I got my seasons and AL off of there so yeah!!

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Field Researcher
#21 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 7:13 PM
All of my Sims 2 media were bought on Amazon.

My advice for buying anything used on Amazon is to actually view the seller's description of the item by actually viewing the page with the list of all used offers (accessed by clicking the tab labeled "Used from $xx.xx (Save nn%)"). The thing I look for are actual descriptions like this ficticious one: "Disc in excellent condition with few scratches, includes box and torn-off manual page with legible game key." Descriptions like "DVD only in paper sleeve", a very low price/astronomical shipping, and/or listings with below-average spelling and grammar I avoid. Reputable Amazon sellers also want to avoid disputes and negative feedback so with a little due dilligence it's very easy to find a quality item there.

Secondhand/thrift stores vary with the area. The ones in my part of the world are an excellent place to buy clothing and books yet awful for electronics and media due to the socioeconomics of the region and store policies (ex.: "no, you cannot see the DVD before you buy it on an as-is basis, we keep it locked up in back for a reason." Nevermind!).

Craigslist I have buying and selling experience, not for computer games but I would if someone was listing something I wanted. You want to search your local area only, consider only offers from local sellers (some people list their item as in-town while they actually are 50 miles away) who provide a detailed item description, self-taken photos of the actual item in question (no stock/internet photos), provide a local phone number, AND agree to meet in a public place to make the sale. This sounds like a lot but that's how to avoid being scammed on Craigslist.

(Note: I just learned what "tl;dr" means from another site; for those: read the seller's item description, and if it sounds too good to be true it is!)
Forum Resident
#22 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 3:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vixxen
I only trust people with 90%+ positive feedback Reputable sellers are usually even willing to work out any issues so long as you don't give them negative feedback, as they realize reputation is more important than a few bucks

I'm usually the same way, but I decided to be nice and give her a chance since she was a new user, and she had the lowest price of any of them. It wasn't really a big deal, just the fact that she had down that is was new and it wasn't; at the price I paid, I more or less expect something to be wrong, and I was just happy it wasn't pirated (I would have turned the seller into the authorities if it had).
Mad Poster
#23 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 11:48 AM
This thread finally inspired me to get the one EP I really want -- OFB. I have been looking for it locally for some time with no success. I ordered it through Amazon from a firm called Hospicare, a charity in Devon, south west England. Their price for it (new) was an amazing £1.95. While the delivery and handling charge was a bit steep in comparison at £4.04, it still meant that I could get it delivered to my door for a very reasonable £5.99. Well I ordered it on Monday, and it arrived this morning (Friday) just as described. It was indeed new (shrink-wrapped_) with the manual and game code inside. Top marks all round!

If it gives me anything like the pleasure I've got for the £7 I paid for my original Double Deluxe, it will be far more than worth it!

Unfortunately it was their only copy, so I can't recommend anyone else to buy OFB from them, and I don't know if they have any other TS2 stuff. But that's my experience of buying TS2 new on Amazon today, and I have to say my experience has been excellent.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 9:22 PM
That's excellent! I wish I could say the same about charitable organizations in my part of the world. I've noticed Amazon doesn't really promote seller ratings the way other sites do, but I bet the seller would love that feedback.

Speaking of which, and anyone please feel free to let me know if this should go in the "stupid questions" thread, but I have an EP I've never installed (University Pack, to be specific) that was obviously imported to the US as it has a PEGI rating on it as opposed to ESRB (this wasn't anywhere in the description and I didn't think of it until I got it). Would I mess up my installation or computer by installing it?