Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:22 PM
Default Miraculous conception?
Could it be that baby Jesus has arrived in my game??!

I was playing an apartment lot with one family, then I got a notification that another of my playable sims on the same lot (but in a different apartment) was pregnant by a playable male sim elsewhere in the neighborhood. I have ACR (autonomus casual romance) in my game so assumed it was something to do with that, but then when I looked at both their memories, neither of them had even met, yet alone had chemistry or any kind of relationship with one another. Weird.

Have you had anything odd like that happen in your game? Actually it's sort of good because the male sperm donor in question is a character I want to use as a new family lineage. I guess he must have read my mind and decided to impregnate by telepathy!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:58 PM
Having ACR only works for the current lot that you are on and if this happens elsewhere in your hood then it could be hood corruption.

I would get 1 program and 2 mods for your game.
Program: HoodChecker http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=456523
2 mods: http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=7875.0
Cleaner Gameplay
•BO - No Sim Loaded: Remove a lot of junk controllers, tokens, and other broken stuff, without the need for a Batbox
•BO - No Trash Memories: PREVENT gossip and silly repetetive memories from being generated

Now there is more mods out there that will help with hood corruption and you may need them to but for now get these 3 and run the program and see what you get.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Link Ninja
#3 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 6:45 PM
I had a time when a woman became pregnant without woo-hooing. She had actually given birth to a baby that was glitching out and stuck to the father so I disposed of it (in the days before I knew deleting sims was bad) and moved them to a new house. When they arrived the mother immediately changed into maternity despite not having woohoo after the birth of her glitched child, and then immediately after that, had this miracle baby.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 10:28 PM
Thanks marka93. I downloaded and ran the HoodChecker and it fixed a lot of things.

I'll download the Simbology BO mods too.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 10:55 PM
That's. Really. Strange. O_o

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 10:28 AM
Sounds like a good story opportunity (if the hood isn't broken). The Messiah has arrived! XD
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
...2 mods: http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=7875.0
Cleaner Gameplay
•BO - No Sim Loaded: Remove a lot of junk controllers, tokens, and other broken stuff, without the need for a Batbox
•BO - No Trash Memories: PREVENT gossip and silly repetetive memories from being generated.
What exactly is the problem with gossip and "trash" memories?

Personally I use the original Version 1 of No Sim Loaded, which removes Sim Loaded tokens and nothing else, and I definitely don't want No Trash Memories, because I like the memories (like the "Met Sim" memories) that Pescado and Boiling Oil think are "trash". I had some reason why I chose the basic version of No Sim Loaded rather than the final one, but I can't remember exactly why. It might be because I like to occasionally look at my Sims' gossip in SimPE, to see what they're talking about. (It probably says something not very nice about me that I want to listen in to their gossip. ) I then manually delete the gossip using the batbox "Delete Gossip ... from All" option. I find that this generally removes all the gossip in the neighbourhood. However I see that there's a "special" version of No Sim Loaded which doesn't remove the gossip, so I might try upgrading to that version.

However I'm quite sure I don't want No Trash Memories because to me those memories tell me a lot about the history of that Sim. So I'm surprised that some people see No Trash Memories as an "essential" mod, because I see it far more as one that depends on your playstyle.

Am I really endangering my Sims and their Neighbourhoods because I like to keep the "Met ..." and "Learned to cook ..." memories?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 2:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
What exactly is the problem with gossip and "trash" memories?

Over time your gossip and trash memories can get to many and may cause corruption. (Every sim will gossip and it will over time become very large amount and this is what can cause corruption.)

You can also go in and configure the mod to leave the "Met so and so" and any other memory that you would like to keep.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 3:02 PM
AFAIK the"met sim" memories are unlikely to cause corruption directly; but they are thousands of bits of data that are subject to natural degradation and which your game has to deal with every time a sim comes on stage. You know how hamburger goes bad faster than steak because it has so much surface area to encounter air and accumulate/breed bacteria? "Trash" memories provide a lot of surface area.

Gossip is a problem because it's designed to travel and to pick up new data on the way. If you look at gossip in SimPE you can see how complexly it's structured, with one sim basically appropriating another sim's memories and spreading them virally. A lot of game-disrupting corruption occurs when bits of data get attached to inappropriate people - that's what's so devastating about deleting sims or packaging them to the lot bin; bits of their data are left lying around the neighborhood looking for a sim with an empty slot where the data can fit.

Personally, since I have my sims gossip a lot (it's the shortest talk interaction and anyway I like to see what stories they're spreading), I prefer to let those memories form, and clear them periodically with the batbox. This may not be "best practice," but it's the most amusing one; and since I know two out of the three neighborhoods I play are corrupt already, there's not much point to reducing my amusement in the interest of "best practice."

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 3:29 PM
Thanks marka93.

I do periodically delete all the gossip with the batbox, so I hope I'm all right there. I really like all the visible memories, so I don't think there are any I'd want deleted. I'm always wary of deleting invisible ones too, because I just don't know how the game might use them. (See my post and the following ones here, for what appears to be an example of the game using a memory as a sort-of reminder to itself to do something.) So I'm dubious about deleting Attraction markers and the like in SimPE. The "special" version of No Sim Loaded that I mentioned might take care of some of those, but I fear that No Trash Memories would wipe out some of my Sims' most cherished memories (like the very first time you met the girl that you later married). From what you say, No Trash Memories might be more configurable than the batbox (FFS Lot Debugger); I've never risked running "Delete Trash Memories" there, because I'm pretty sure it would take stuff out that I'd rather keep. I'll maybe upgrade my No Sim Loaded and just have to take a chance with the rest. By Sims standards, mine live a long time, so they're liable to remember a lot.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:09 PM
I didn't get 'no trash memories' for the same reason. I thought it removed too many memories that I wanted my sims to remember. I also have the version of 'no sim loaded' that doesn't remove gossip.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 10:18 PM
I've looked at the list of "trash" memories that Boiling Oil's No Trash Memories can prevent, and I can honestly say I wouldn't want my Sims to be without any of them. . . . With only one possible exception, which won't apply to me unless and until I get University: I don't like the "Never went to college" memory because (as a graduate myself) at a very deep level I hate the implication that a Sim who never went to college is in any sense an inferior person to one who did. University can be great fun (and more) for those lucky enough to go (in Real Life and no doubt in The Sims), but that doesn't mean that those who follow a different path in life are in any sense failures. Having got that little rant off my chest, whether it will be worth my while downloading the mod and editing it so it prevents that memory and no other I don't know; I'll worry about that if and when I ever get University. So, with that possible exception, No Trash Memories is not for me, and I'll not delete them with the batbox either -- I just don't agree that they're trash. In fact I'm very glad Maxis put them in, and sometimes I really wish they'd remember more.

Peni, your attitude to your Sims's memories seems not dissimilar to my own. Do you sometimes read the gossip in SimPE too? Or can you pick it up in-game from the speech icons and the Simlish? I've never read any "bad gossip" in the Real Life sense -- i.e. I've never read anything that was untrue, but I have seen some fairly juicy morsels in there, I think the best one being, "Have you heard about Jihoon LeTourneau? He refused to make out with Gordon Cornton." Gay Romance Sim Gordon was probably very pleased when I did delete that little bit of gossip. I can't imagine he was pleased to know everyone was talking about him. (Of coursed Gordon had brought the incident, and the resultant gossip, on himself by kissing another boy in front of Jihoon, who thought he was Gordon's boyfriend.)

And, Peni, do you ever delete the so-called "trash" memories (presumably with the batbox)? Or do you, like me, let them stay and hope for the best (trusting in HoodChecker and frequent backups to protect your game)? Because I too don't want to sacrifice my enjoyment of the game for the sake of "best practice".
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 10:37 PM
I use BO's No Sim Loaded which trashes gossip and I clear memories with the bat box. I do wish it didn't delete so many memories but I'm a natural hoarder so I thought better use something that leaves me no choice or I might keep it all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 12:16 AM
I dump gossip periodically, and "trash memories" less often, when I feel like they might have accumulated to the point of contributing to game lag. My sims meet a lot of people and I'd never be able to find a Met memory if I went looking for it, anyway.

I interpret conversations from the speech bubbles, and personal conversations and gossip are usually clear enough - fire at Brittany's house, saw Estebanico having public woohoo with Bad News Bev, did you hear Frank and Amanda got engaged finally? When conversations get to be wall-to-wall "met somebody" icons, that's another sign it's time to dump trash memories. Gossip gets old eventually, so I don't feel bad about dumping it after it's had a good long go-round; but it's far too tedious to delete individual bits of gossip, so inevitably I wind up dumping something juicy and recent, too.

It's a good idea to check memory with the batbox occasionally, even if you don't plan on deleting anything - because if there's a corrupted memory on the lot, it will detect that and you can target them specifically for deletion. A memory that's already corrupted is a big deal. It's one of the things I check for whenever I haul out the batbox for any reason. No need to leave those in there!

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 12:58 AM
Once I've loaded a lot and cleared out anything that I can find on the bat box I get that satisfied Spring cleaning feeling. No dust bunnies in here!

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 2:31 AM
My problem with the batbox is that there are too many options I don't understand on it. Generally I use it to change LTWs, remove all gossip, and to remove Mystery Sim memories from new Sims who I believe have led sheltered lives. And that's about all. As with Boolprop TestingCheatsEnabled, my rule of thumb is "If you don't know exactly what it does, don't click on it." So I wouldn't know how to use it to remove a corrupted memory. I run HoodChecker frequently, and use the /Remove option to fix anything that's broken, but I don't think it's actually removed any corrupt memories since it sorted out all the ones that Maxis left in Veronaville. How do I remove corrupt memories with the batbox?

How many are too many "met Sim" memories/ I just checked Julian Moltke (Andrew's boyfriend) in SimPE, and he's met 56-57 Sims, which probably means most of the active Sims in Veronaville and its Downtown. Is that too many? The problem is that some of the oldest ones are some of the most important to me, so I'm very, very reluctant to remove them. I do see that he's been listening to an awful lot of gossip lately though, so it's high time I deleted the gossip in Veronaville!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 2:56 AM
Click on the batbox. Choose "memory." If there's a corrupted memory on the lot, you'll get an option to delete it on the pie menu. If the option isn't there, the corrupted memory isn't there.

How many would be too many would be a personal judgement call. If you don't think there's too many, there's not.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 3:52 AM
Do you have a hack that makes visiting sims selectable? Because I have had sims use ACR to get pregnant when they weren't members of the currently in play family but were selectable.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 5:14 AM Last edited by jodemilo : 2nd Oct 2014 at 5:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Do you have a hack that makes visiting sims selectable? Because I have had sims use ACR to get pregnant when they weren't members of the currently in play family but were selectable.

There are probably other mods, but I use this one at Simlogical (the cat teleporter). Not only can you summon any playable sim in your hood, you can also make it selectable once it arrives, even "move in" if you like, as well as "zap" any unwanted sims on your lot. I've never had any problems with it. I use it more often on community lots when I want to get some kind of "scene" or story going.

http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...Teleporters.htm

Oh I forgot to add, you can also make selectable non-playable characters (townies, downtownies) and, if I remember correctly, NPCs (although I haven't tried that for a while).
Mad Poster
#20 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 6:34 AM
I never figured out what frobnication did on the batbox. I was never brave enough to try it either.
Alchemist
#21 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 8:47 AM
My sister once had a sim that became pregnant through making out
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 9:06 AM
In my test of time hood my sandtribe only had single leaf beds on the floor so I gave them a hammock, she got pregnant while he just stood there.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 10:31 AM
Just to reassure people a bit about memories (which is one of the areas I do know something about), you can do a lot with memories without problems and virtually everything in the way of corruption can be resolved by deleting them. The kind of corruption they have also doesn't really affect the game in the way other types of corruption does (like deleting sims, for instance, which is much more serious). Met memories are not generally a problem. In themselves they're not a problem by which I mean they don't get corrupted usually and they're fairly simple and if you wipe them out, your sims will just get a new one the next time they meet up with that sim (I think - it's been a while since I did that). Sorry to sound a bit vague but I actively manage memories with SimPE and take care to make sure things like that stay as they should, making corrections as I go. The biggest issue is that the game sometimes converts them to invisible (just change them back) or duplicate them in your sim or other sim's memories (delete). I don't care for wiping certain memories either and so don't use any of the automated wipe functions you can get. I also use a few custom memories which I want my sims to keep. AFAIK Pescado and others included the options to wipe Met memories just because you get a lot and they don't like cluttering up a sim's memory. You can delete any number of trash memories (by which I mean the memories sims pass on to one another - I don't regard Met memories as trash though Pescado and others do) and I do it all the time. I effectively wipe trash memories manually rather than use the batbox. Mystery Sim memories will regenerate in certain circumstances BTW so if you really want to remove those, it's a good idea to check again. Once the sim is fully initialised though they stay gone. Attraction markers are just that, they show where your sim is attracted to another sim. I sometimes make them visible (they are properly invisible) because I like to see where certain sims have illicit attractions. You can delete them at will though they will come back once the sim meets the sim they are attracted to again. For that reason, I don't usually make a habit of deleting them.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#24 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 1:43 PM
If you have any kind of risky flavour packs with inteen, some of them cause pregnancy through sims never met. I had Lilith run away from home and she got a risky pregnancy, I think they're supposed to have the father assigned as a sim they know well, but it can also be a stranger and in this case it was a stranger. I suppose that makes more sense, because she actually ran away rather than hiding in her boyfriend's house where they would just call her parents!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...