Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 6:56 AM
Default Legacy through modern times (1910-2010)
This is 5 generation challenge based in America (1910-2010). This is based on quick google searches and what I remember from history classes.

Things I don’t care about:
• How you chose your aspiration and likes/dislikes: Chose by whatever method you prefer but understand that some aspirations will be harder to work with during certain generations.
• How you pick your heir.
• How frequently you move houses/change lots.
• What you do with your non-heirs.
• Use reward objects if you want but I feel it takes away from the game.

Things I do care about:
• No servos.
• No slaves (moving someone in just to cook/clean).
• Nothing in any era that seems wildly out of place.
• You can move teens out at any time but if you move them back in later you must play them an equal amount of time as family and you must remove the amount of money they bring to the house.

General info:
• If you chose the military career track during war times you must roll to see if you are killed every promotion you get. Use https://www.random.org/ to randomly generate your number. If you get a 1 you die (kill off your sim).
• The next generation will take effect when a certain number of children have become teens. If you don’t have that number of children then start the next generation when the last child becomes a teen.

1st gen : 1910-1930 (WW1 and the roaring 20s)

You start with the family farm, living off your crops and selling any extra you have.
Build a 1 room cabin furnished with minimal furnishings.
• Book case
• Couch (if you want)
• Table and chairs (up to # of family members)
• Beds (up to the # of family members)
• Fridge & stove
• Phone (yeah not historically correct but you can’t send letters so bla)

No:
• Radios, tvs, etc.
• Obvious electric light. (Use candles)
• Downtown (make a market or trading post)
• University for the children of this generation (unless father is at the top of the business track, then only males.)

You must “try for baby” every time you “woohoo” (condoms not available) and you must “try for baby” at least every 5 sim days.

Careers:
Men: Business, Education, Farming, Military (1-89 is your # range)
Women: Education, Farming.

*Next generation starts when the 3rd child becomes a teen.*

1930-1950 (The Great Depression & WW2)

So depressing is the Great Depression!
• You can’t sell crops for money until the 3rd Teen becomes an Adult.
• If you are NOT at the top of the business track when this happens use “family funds” to decrease money to $0. You must quit business if you took that career.
• If you are at the top of the business track use “family funds” to half your money. You can keep your job.
• No university unless father of previous generation is at top of business track. Females can attend.
• You must “try for baby” every time you “woohoo” and must “try for baby” at least every 10 sim days.

Add to this generation:
• Radios & electric lights.
• Larger shopping center.

Great Depression ends and WW2 begins when the 3rd Teen becomes an adult. At this time roll 1-10 for every teen & adult male (with 15 or more days left in adulthood). If you get a 1 or 2 you are drafted into the military, quitting the job you currently have until the beginning of the next generation.

Careers
Male: (depression) Criminal, Education, Farming, Medical/Science (if attended university)
(WW2) Business, Criminal Education, Farming, Medical/Science, Military (1-56 is # range)
Female: (Depression) Criminal, Education & Farming.
(WW2) Business, Criminal, Education, Farming, Medical/Science.

*Next generation starts when 3rd child becomes Teen*

1950-1970 (Baby Boom & Swinging 60s)

• Females must quit their job at the beginning of the generation. They may go back into that career after their last toddler becomes a child but must start at the bottom again.
• Must “try for baby” at least every 3 days until you have at least 4 kids.

Add
o Dishwashers
o TV (cheapest one)
o Anything else that seems appropriate to the time period.
o Upgrade the shopping center if you want.

Careers:
Fe/Male: Artist, Business, Criminal, Education, Home Business, Journalism, Law, Law enforcement, Military, Medical, Politics, Science/ natural science

*Next Generation starts when 4th child turns into a teen*

1970-1990 (Thawing of the cold war & 90’s tech bubble)

• Can buy anything reasonable for this era.
• Must either move to a new house or completely update everything in the house
• Must buy a car (best you can afford)
• Must buy 1 outfit for each person.
• No longer must “try for baby” (YAY!!)
• Downtown is available
• Females must take a job once the last toddler becomes a child.
• Fulfill lifetime want

Careers: All

*next Generation starts when the last child turns into a teenager*

1990-2010 (bubble and bust)

• Can buy anything that is reasonable for this era.
• Must either move or upgrade everything
• Must have best computer you can afford
• All children must have their own rooms
• Must buy new outfit every time a child ages up.
• Must buy ALL baby/toddler related items. Redecorate for each additional child.

Toddlers must:
• Learn all basic skills (talk, walk, toilet)
• Max out one of their other skills (creativity, logic, charisma)

Children must:
• Max out at least 3 skills
• Get into privet school

Teens must:
• Max out all skills
• Go to university
• At least one teen needs to be an over achiever

Adults must:
• Make sure to be attentive to their children. Talk/play with them before and after school.
• Have a job and reach the top of their career
• Fulfill lifetime want

Once the last teen becomes an adult you have to roll (1-10) to see if you lose your job during the Great Recession. Start over in a new career.

Scoring:
I seriously think scoring is stupid. Enjoy the story you’ve created!

Military deaths:
http://gizmodo.com/5774387/what-wer...ng-in-every-war
WW2 Drafting
http://history.stackexchange.com/qu...ww2-and-vietnam
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 10:17 AM
This looks like a great challenge and I must say I have to give it a go. Starting it today as its a day off and I have the time I'd like to point out though, that by 1910 there was electricity and condoms. :D
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by seveneighttwo
This looks like a great challenge and I must say I have to give it a go. Starting it today as its a day off and I have the time I'd like to point out though, that by 1910 there was electricity and condoms. :D

Also phones (1876).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by seveneighttwo

True but they weren't widely available in the rural parts of the US until later and that is where the challenge starts. https://www.energyilluminated.com/t...electricity_use
Besides, more babies is more better?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Also phones (1876).

Again, when did they become common place? Google tells me early 1900s but I suspect that was an upper class thing and not something that the farming class would have until after the 1930s.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 8:18 PM
The fifth Anne of Green Gables book features Avonlea (a rural farming community) getting telephones. Not sure what year the book's supposed to take place. Late 1800s I guess. It isn't until the last book when Anne's youngest daughter is a teenager that WWI breaks out. Also, in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, the main character's aunt works in, well, a factory that makes rubber products. Book takes place in the 1910s leading up to WWI. But that was in a big city and I don't know how acceptable condom use was viewed during those times, especially in rural communities.

Sorry, I get my history information from reading kid's books.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 9:40 PM
The telephone was everywhere by 1900, including in small towns. The telephone lines going coast-to-coast in 1916 even spawned a poplar song: "Hello, Frisco, Hello."
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vladora
The fifth Anne of Green Gables book features Avonlea (a rural farming community) getting telephones. Not sure what year the book's supposed to take place. Late 1800s I guess. It isn't until the last book when Anne's youngest daughter is a teenager that WWI breaks out. Also, in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, the main character's aunt works in, well, a factory that makes rubber products. Book takes place in the 1910s leading up to WWI. But that was in a big city and I don't know how acceptable condom use was viewed during those times, especially in rural communities.

Sorry, I get my history information from reading kid's books.

Not like its much less reliable then google
Quick google search tells me that condoms weren't likely in use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...gal_impediments
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
The telephone was everywhere by 1900, including in small towns. The telephone lines going coast-to-coast in 1916 even spawned a poplar song: "Hello, Frisco, Hello."

Personal phones in what is essentially a homestead? I'm not saying that people didn't have them, just seems to me to be out of place since we are starting on a small farm in the middle of no where. But it doesn't really matter anyway because how else are you supposed to get friends to come over and call the fire department?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Interesting challenge! I think I would create a spin-off challenge that sets during the Renaissance period, spanning two or three centuries, from the 16th century to the 18th century or 19th century.

I would love to see that!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 8:21 PM
If I wasn't starting a new hood and don't want to always be switching out default replacements, I would probably do this challenge. I just wouldn't have as strict requirements on the 1990-2010; there are still people in this generation I know who share bedrooms and don't have computers, for one thing.

The switching of generations is a bit confusing, though. Can you give a more clear description of the start and end of each generation? Generation 1 seems to end when the 3rd kid becomes a teen, but the rest end when the 3rd kid becomes an adult. Also, what if I have less than 3 kids in a generation (barring the baby boom generation)? How would I handle the generations then?

Thank you.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Nov 2015 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
If I wasn't starting a new hood and don't want to always be switching out default replacements, I would probably do this challenge. I just wouldn't have as strict requirements on the 1990-2010; there are still people in this generation I know who share bedrooms and don't have computers, for one thing.

The switching of generations is a bit confusing, though. Can you give a more clear description of the start and end of each generation? Generation 1 seems to end when the 3rd kid becomes a teen, but the rest end when the 3rd kid becomes an adult. Also, what if I have less than 3 kids in a generation (barring the baby boom generation)? How would I handle the generations then?

Thank you.

Response to the first bit : Sure, there are people who didn't have computers during that time but they were pretty common place by 2000. All of the generations are generalizations of that era. What I recall from that 1990-2010 (the majority of my life) was a lot of emphasis on possessions, position, and wealth, hence the redecorating. My mother (raising kids 1979-2010) recalls fearing that we kids would be left behind because she didn't have us enrolled in sports and music and academic camps, hence the major focus on getting your kids skills built up.
The last generation didn't have much restriction (access to money, can buy anything, can do any job, ect) so it made sense to make it the "gotta be super parent and super employee and keep up with the Jones' " .
If you don't want to play with certain restrictions I would never dream of telling you not too.

Response to the second bit: The info about generation swaps is located in 3rd paragraph under "General info". If you don't have the number of kids listed to move on to the next generation you move on when the last child becomes a teen. The generation switch is also stated at the end of each time period.
Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 8:34 AM
This challenge is really interesting! I've been playing it for a while and I'm currently on Generation 2 (1930 - 1950). So much has happened so far!
I started off with a couple in WW1, James and Emily Patzer. They lived on a farm in a small cabin. James worked in the military, doing his bit for the war (luckily he survived), while Emily worked on the farm. They had 2 children, Amelia and Charles.
Amelia married Robert Charvat and Charles married Marie Mazza. They all lived in the cabin (now converted into a 1930's house) until James and Emily died of old age, then Amelia and her spouse continued to inherit the property, while Charles and Marie moved into a place of their own.
Robert and Amelia have 3 sons together: Edward (teenager), Christopher (child) and Jonathon (toddler). Robert and Amelia are both elders. Robert and Edward are working in the Business career track during the Great Depression. Amelia is currently a stay-at-home wife, caring for Christopher and Jonathon, and trying to salvage any small amount of money her husband and eldest son bring home to put food in her children's mouths.
Charles and Marie have 2 children together: Geoffrey (teenager) and Edith (child). They are a few days before reaching their elder years, so I don't think they'll have any more. Similar to Amelia's family, Charles and Geoffrey work in the Business career track, while Marie stays at home caring for Edith. However, when her daughter becomes a teenager, Marie wants to get back to work as soon as possible, as she is not coping well with the lack of money.
That's what's happened so far. I'm really enjoying this challenge, and I'll update soon!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 19th May 2016 at 1:38 AM Last edited by butler-pate : 19th May 2016 at 3:08 AM.
This is so neat!! I've been wanting to do a thing like this for a while now, so I'm going to do a kind of altered version of this. But with a few less restrictions and different generation/time period setup (gen 1 is 1910s, gen 2 is 1920s, etc. I know it doesn't really make sense time-wise but I'll do what I want haha)

I'm going to get started on it today with all the CC and such, I'll probably post my progress to MTS