Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 8:07 AM
Default A couple of really basic (I hope!) questions on starting recolouring
Hi all.
I'd love to learn how to make CC because I'd love more accurate historical clothing for the game. Yeah, there's a lot out there, I'm pretty sure I have it all, lol, but not enough for me.

Well, I was playing round with meshing tutorials and meshes and so on but I decided to start simple as I am a complete n00b at this (oh yeah, official warning!). All I ever managed to do for sims 2 was really simple things like paint stripes on stockings or draw aprons onto dresses and change the colour of dresses.

So, I though recolouring meshes we already have was a bit more simple.

Two things I want to do. First is to take a skirt that has one recolourable channel and change it to four (or three at the least). Is this http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...0Mask%20Editing the tutorial I want for that? (not sure on the propper names for how to do tings, so I wanted to check!)

Second thing I want to do is to take a great mesh that has been badly photoskinned (a word I learnt yesterday, see, I'm a noob!) and completley re-colour it, as in get rid of all the photoskinned texture and start again. Same with another dress, I wish to remove a drawn on detail. I don't want to change the actual 3D textures (is that the bmp map?) on these items.

I'm trying to find a tutorial telling me how to do that but I get confused with what I'm looking for, is there one or is it simply a matter of extracting the right thing and opening up the right file in an imaging program? (in which case, I'd love to know what to extract and what to open!)

Thanks in advance for your help! I have actually spent the last couple of days reading (or trying to) tutorials and downloading all the things and add ons and playing round with the programs. As mentioned I got pretty far with altering a mesh before I decided to start (hopefully) ultra simple.

Sci-fi meets 19th century boarding school story-- Future's Present-- A Sims 3 Story

A random legacy with a rainbowcy theme set in a post apocalyptic world-- Recolour

I now have a blogger-- Kathleen's Sim Stories-- for both my stories for those that prefer to follow and comment there
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 8:40 AM
wat programs are you using?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 8:47 AM
Hi, I have GIMP, CTU, Milkshape and s3pe.

Sci-fi meets 19th century boarding school story-- Future's Present-- A Sims 3 Story

A random legacy with a rainbowcy theme set in a post apocalyptic world-- Recolour

I now have a blogger-- Kathleen's Sim Stories-- for both my stories for those that prefer to follow and comment there
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 9:01 AM
CTU:
You can enable each channel for the mask texture in the Design tab/Designs/patterns/ABCD
In the last tab ''other'' you change the design type to 4 channel RGBA
The mask texture format needs to be changed from DXT1 to DXT5interpolatedalpha
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 11:36 AM Last edited by Kathleen_Anne : 9th Jan 2013 at 1:49 PM.
Thank you! This is after I've done the (linked in the first post) tutorial, yes?

Oh, and is the recolouring thing I was talking about in the second part, is that actually called making base textures? If so then this http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ew_Base_Texture is the tutorial I want, yes? I just want to make sure I'm not trying to use the right tutorials to do the wrong things. Fish can't climb trees that well and all that