Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 7:58 PM Last edited by ankoyume : 3rd Mar 2018 at 9:08 AM.
Default Death Eaters' Dark Mark for Evil Witches [Solved]
As I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, I would like to do the dark mark tatoo for the theme TV. But I'm struggling with opacity / transparency. My upload is in the moderation queue for changes required. I don't want to make a mistake this time.

Can you tell me which version seems better to you ?
(All in-game screenshots)

Version 1 (just for you to see the evolution, I won't believe you if you tell me that's the best !) :

Version 2 : New shape

Version 3 : New shape with less transparency

I even wonder if it wouldn't be better to remove even more transparency, because the dark mark is supposed to be ... dark.

Ankoyume
Screenshots

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 10:16 PM
I just realised that in the movie, the serpent faced the other way : I have to flip it right/left.

Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 6:42 AM
I really love this idea.
I think the last one is the best.
What were the remarks for the changes required?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
What were the remarks for the changes required?

Thanks for your comment.

I have submitted the first version only and the changes required was to make it sound like it's part of the skin. But I hadn't understood in the first place, and I've remade all the thing : it's better now. But I really think that it's too transparent now (I've gone too far to the opposite extreme).
The moderator have just confirmed my feeling by PM.
So I'll do another one, much less transparent and post it here, so that I can have your advices.

Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ankoyume
Thanks for your comment.

I have submitted the first version only and the changes required was to make it sound like it's part of the skin. But I hadn't understood in the first place, and I've remade all the thing : it's better now. But I really think that it's too transparent now (I've gone too far to the opposite extreme).
The moderator have just confirmed my feeling by PM.
So I'll do another one, much less transparent and post it here, so that I can have your advices. :i)

The second one is indeed too much but the third one is quite allright I think.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 6:29 PM
So, here is a darker version (sorry for the quality of the picture, I was in a hurry, I have to go). You can see that it's part in-game, part in GIMP.

How do you think ? Is it better or not ? Should I try something in between ?
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 7:25 PM
I would suggest something in between, but the thing I notice most is that, the more transparent it is, the more it actually appears to be a part of the Sim's skin, which you'd want with a tattoo. At the same time, you want it to be dark enough to notice... Not having the first clue as to the process of making something like this, I would think that the best option (if possible) would be to just make the very edges of the Mark more transparent, so there's a bit more of a fade as you go in towards the center.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 9:30 PM
are you ever going to upload this
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CMPunkGTS96
are you ever going to upload this

As soon as it will be ready, of course. It was for january theme, but all month themes are ok for this month.
I'll try something inbetween. But because I'm not so good in bodyshop, I'm not sure to succeed in darkening only the edge.
Thanks for your comment, Zarathustra, it's really appreciated.

Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 10:16 PM
Hello !
So it took me some time because I wasn't home.

Here is the last version (version 5) and I think it is the right and final one.
Just wanted to have your point of view to be sure it melt well with the skin, before I post it.

There is the version 5 on dark maxis skin :

Screenshots

The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 7:28 AM
@Ankoyume
what i was talking about was this(see picture below),all of the grey is removed and the outline(dark part)stays,so it fits all skins,then your 40% and voila!
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 12:11 PM Last edited by ankoyume : 8th Feb 2016 at 2:32 PM.
Oh ! But how do you do that ? I used the contrast thing to have more black, because when I've tried to remove the grey it looked funny ... But it might get better after the 40%.
It seems I have to try again.

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 1:02 PM
You can just do it manually, making the gray area less opaque than black. I would sugest to not delete the gray fully, but just erase it manually with a bit more than 50% eraser opacity.
I do not use Gimp, but PAINT.net, so I might not be right. Gimp has layering function, right?

Also, It would be much nicer if you found an image of tatoo that has a better quality, seeing the size you plan to make it in.

EDIT: There are transparent dark mark tatoos all over the internet. A quick Google search should get you a good quality, transparent tatoo.

Here's the best I could find: http://www.katiecoffy.com/death-eat...14/10/logo1.png
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 3:01 PM
Thanks for your advices. I think that you might be right : I should try transparency instead of deletion.
However, I've already tried the internet and it looks "ugly" when reduced to 30 x 90 (see version 1).

So Here is the 6th version. I have quite succeeded in removing all grey parts. Then I put a 40% transparency.
Now I think it looks great on dark skin. But perhaps it's too pixelated on pale skin.

Is it right like that ?
Or perhaps the whole image needs more transparency (50% or 60%) ?
Or perhaps I shouldn't have removed the grey but just add a lot of transparency (80% or 90%) ?

So I've made version 7 with not deletion of grey but transparency 80%. Then 40% transparency on the whole image like for version 6.

Does it look better ? Version 6 or 7 ?

@lidiqnata, @mixa97sr,@Zarathustra, @lientebollemeis, thanks for you all who commented on this thread.
Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 4:12 PM
I like the version7. Difference is extremely small, but 7 looks more consistent. It's not so noticeable on black skin, but it certainly makes a difference on white one.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 5:19 PM Last edited by ankoyume : 9th Feb 2016 at 1:09 AM.
Thanks for your reply, mixa97sr. I so agree with you.

One positive answer is enought to me : I'm gonna upload the version 7, but now I have to take a lot of pictures ... (I hate this).

See you soon !

Edit : Ah!! Impossible to connect to my account ! And when I was ready to upload my overlay ! I can just partially connect. I'll try later ...

Edit : Now I can connect to my accompt and I have uploaded my work.

Thanks to you all for your advices and comments !