Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 6:37 PM Last edited by gazania : 7th Feb 2016 at 8:07 PM.
I, too, am constantly confused about where to go if you want to share info about lots, but don't want to upload them. I'm hug-bugged, and have no desire to use AGS right now, though I have downloaded it in the past, so no matter how proud I am of my lots, I would think it really awful to knowingly upload them for some poor, unsuspecting Sim player to get this nuisance. Those who did not know they were hug-bugged is another matter. They did not do this knowingly.

Someone on Tumblr suggested that those of us with Hug Bug Herpes should still upload lots, but with a bold disclaimer, and in a designated section. Those of us affected won't be re-infected if we downloaded No Sim Loaded after this all happened, and those unaffected who have already downloaded it ... or even those who have not ... will be forewarned, and have a good chance of not getting it in the first place, even with the affected lots. At least that what I've understood after reading a few dozen Hug Bug posts. Someone else on Tumblr .... I think it was iCad, but if I'm wrong, someone please correct this ... brought up a good point. Those of us who have been hug-bugged don't have some awful diseasel on the level of Crumplebutt borkage. The Hug Bug is an annoyance that, once you're downloaded either/or Dolphin's hack or NSL. usually doesn't show its ugly face in your game once you have done so. In fact, you pretty much forget about it unless you created a cool lot and have a desire to upload it. If you don't ever want to upload a lot, you can live happily ever after.

But for now, I simply include shots of my lots, and if anyone asks, will include floor plans, I have joined a couple of fine lot-building groups, but if we ever want to share lots more openly outside the group. but don't intend to upload them (this thread has been a whole lot of fun ... I've even downloaded more of the above suggestions. I need more dead potted plants, darn it!), where is the proper thread for that?

Like others here, even though unofficially, it's a thread for all creations, the implication I received from the Creators' Forum (and I'm apparently not the only one who thinks this) is that this forum is for stuff you intend to upload somewhere. In addition to the SDHB, I feel I'm still a beginner. Advanced-beginner (I do love building cheats!), but a beginner nonetheless. I don't know how to retexture too well, for instance. I've recolored, but for MY use, and only a couple of times. it's not good enough for a uploaded lot. I learn from my lots, and have fun making them. That's all.

And while this specific thread is for critiques, it's also for other things. It's kind of a WCIF, and there are more suggestions than actual critiques, which I like a whole lot. There is a difference. Would that go in a Photo section? Photo sections are more for ... photos. Completed lots. I like the informality of this thread. No "Oh my gosh, I want to make this perfect for MTS/TSR/Tumblr/LJ!" A few of us are just having a little fun and brainstorming off each other.

Well, the lot builders' groups are pretty cool, and not once have I felt the urge to mumble apologetically, "Mycreationhere ... it'snotverygoodandallbut ... " The people have been supportive and super in these groups. Perhaps put the pictures in the photo section and join one of these fine groups for more discussion? There are nice people there. They haven't written, "WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!" Not yet, anyway.

By the way, Pizzatron ... lovin' the lot! Also, I smiled at the list of Castaways stuff. I don't care if there is no bamboo on any lots within fifteen lots of my abandoned lots (I had two versions but packaged only one, so one got nuked when I had to nuke the hood, unfortunately), that bamboo bush has been a staple in my abandoned/rustic lots for at least a couple of years. Nothing like peeing in a thicket of strategically-placed bamboo shoots, I say!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 8:07 PM
These are the rooftrims, Pizza - you use them with Honeywell's defaults - no need to go back to Maxis

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=555589
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#28 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 9:31 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 10:05 PM
I just read this thread at General Discussion, and went to see are there some news in CFF, and here's the thread. First time in my life experiencing thread teleportation !

Also, on the note of how this looks, I've been thinking about miknig some things have their "dirty" and "broken" state on. You can do that with testingCheats I think. Just Shift+Click on counters, toilets, sinks... basically, anything that gets filthy (You have to have a sim, though).
Mad Poster
#30 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 10:54 PM
Well, rather leave the Sim out - in case you change your mind, Pizza
Field Researcher
#31 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 12:49 AM
Since it seems you haven't found it yet:

http://rdnussimaginethat.blogspot.c...stroom-set.html

These are the toilets you're looking for.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Inventor
Original Poster
#32 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 8:19 AM Last edited by Pizzatron-9000 : 8th Feb 2016 at 8:50 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo
Yes, I always watch that show when it's on. It's morbidly fascinating.

And actually there was a second one like Life After People...I forget the name...but it had some interesting facts. But I only saw it air once. Seems LAF is more popular lol

By chance, it wasn't Aftermath: Population Zero, was it?

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
It is evolving well, Pizza

Thank you kindly, Petro. More on that in a wee bit.

Quote: Originally posted by gazania
And while this specific thread is for critiques, it's also for other things. It's kind of a WCIF, and there are more suggestions than actual critiques, which I like a whole lot. There is a difference. Would that go in a Photo section? Photo sections are more for ... photos. Completed lots. I like the informality of this thread. No "Oh my gosh, I want to make this perfect for MTS/TSR/Tumblr/LJ!" A few of us are just having a little fun and brainstorming off each other.

Well, there is that. But we could also consider it an exhibition of sorts, whether for the use of certain cheat codes, the possible combinations of vanilla elements or the many applications of custom content...not just this thread, but perhaps all threads within this forum. I'd be willing to bet that I'm not the only one here who went ahead and downloaded...let's say, that Demolition Set.

Well, the lot builders' groups are pretty cool, and not once have I felt the urge to mumble apologetically, "Mycreationhere ... it'snotverygoodandallbut ... " The people have been supportive and super in these groups. Perhaps put the pictures in the photo section and join one of these fine groups for more discussion? There are nice people there. They haven't written, "WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!" Not yet, anyway.

*sets about planning the first thread in this forum to elicit a "WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP" response.* >;-D

By the way, Pizzatron ... lovin' the lot! Also, I smiled at the list of Castaways stuff. I don't care if there is no bamboo on any lots within fifteen lots of my abandoned lots (I had two versions but packaged only one, so one got nuked when I had to nuke the hood, unfortunately), that bamboo bush has been a staple in my abandoned/rustic lots for at least a couple of years. Nothing like peeing in a thicket of strategically-placed bamboo shoots, I say!

I haven't tried that bamboo patch potty yet. Normally, using a bush to relieve Bladder is strictly the providence of Sloppy male Sims. Are Neat men and any women able to use this bamboo copse as well?

These are the rooftrims, Pizza - you use them with Honeywell's defaults - no need to go back to Maxis

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=555589

Oh, excellent! Thanks again, Petro! I must have overlooked that one somehow.

I assume that I should only pick one to install. Maybe I should go with that dark brown wood, or maybe the black/dark gray...yeah, black and dark gray can go with almost any other color, right? I'll go with that file!

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Thread moved to cff. Typically this is for pre-uploading, but hey, maybe you'll change your mind?

Mmm...I don't know, really. I may as well package the lot, just in case. But this lot's already packing a heap of CC to keep track of, including content that I already had. It could be a booger to list it all, and the upload's guaranteed to get rejected if I don't. I guess we'll see.

Thanks, by the way.

Well, rather leave the Sim out - in case you change your mind, Pizza

Of course. I always package lots in their original, pre-occupied state. It keeps things clean and simple that way, and that means problem-free reinstallations if I ever lose my game and have to reinstall everything from scratch.

Quote: Originally posted by EmeraldFalcon
Since it seems you haven't found it yet:

http://rdnussimaginethat.blogspot.c...stroom-set.html

These are the toilets you're looking for.

...oh, did you say "toilets"? Sorry, I was looking at those old-fashioned urinals which run all the way to the ground! I only see those in buildings which are many decades old, like that century-old prison where I was working two years back. I wonder why we stopped building those full-length urinals and switched to the little "one whole hunk of ceramic hanging on the wall, just waiting to break off" kind.

I'll install those public restroom fixtures in a little while; thank you for pointing me in that direction. And this 'Imagine That' Sims site is a new one for me! I might have to explore it in a little bit.

So I got to thinking about those wall portions that I made with ConstrainFloorElevation. And one problem with using CFE to smush or stretch walls is that you can't put any other walls, ceilings, floors and such next to them; if CFE is False, then you'll distort the architecture in all sorts of undesirable ways, and if CFE is true, then Build Mode simply won't let you do it. So then I got to thinking about those Demolition Set doors, windows, fences and other options, and I thought, "Why would I need those CFE walls when anything they can do, the Demolition Set can do better?"

So I deleted all of the CFE walls, added a combination of walls and fences (the Truss kind and the Wall Shoring kind), then added various "doors" from the Demolition Set to make the broken walls look even more broken. Then I extended the broken ceiling from wall to wall (which CFE formerly wouldn't allow) and tossed in another Hole Border cornice. Too bad the Demolition Set doesn't include any options for torn sheet metal, but I think that my new TV shed looks peachy as it is.

It turns out that the boarded-up windows from the Urban Renewal set are actually under Buy Mode -> Decorative -> Curtains, not under Build Mode's Windows. So that's why I wasn't finding them before! Having found them, I added a Breeze-E window (or however it's spelled) and laid a full planking on its inside, and a partial planking on its outside. I like that look.

Before turning my attention back to the house, I added some more details to the outside yard. The perimeter got two orange warning cones to help cover one of the gaps in the "Keep Out" fence...

...I dug into those new Castaway options to add one of those boulders that Sims could sit on, if only because vanilla TS2 doesn't offer boulders in that size...

...and I topped off this ex-column with the Demolition Set's "mini-fence" of broken rebars.

Okay, back to the house!

As I did with the ex-workshed, I deleted the CFE half-walls from the former front room, leveled the terrain around the bay as needed, added full walls around most of it, then added a boarded-up Sims 2 Store window and a combination of broken walls from the Demolition Set. Having done that, I added ceiling/subroof tiles to the now-existent full walls, then spruced them up with more Hole Border Wood cornices.

(I swear, I set that one diagonal broken wall to a "gray stone" edge! I don't know why it keeps showing up red. Even the wonderful Demolition Set is not without its flaws, it seems.)

Then I moved inside. One bedroom lost its two stools, which were promptly replaced with a weathered-looking Doctor Utility couch. I also changed the colors on the clothing chest to something more aged in appearance.

Then I stowed a bunch of random stuff in the attic, because that's what people do with attics. How many times have we heard of someone buying an old house, then finding all kinds of cool historical stuff when they go to search the attic? Attics over old houses are friggin' treasure troves, man!

That gramophone was old, but perhaps a little too old. So I stuck it in the attic...

...and replaced it with this salvaged radio that was old yet not too old. I think it came with that Urban Renewal set that Venusking recommended, but don't quote me on that.

So that's where I am now! I'll have to tinker with those roof edge recolors and Public Restroom bits as soon as I fire the game up again, which should be in just a few minutes, after I visit my own fridge and dig out a Mountain Dew and a cup of Dannon yogurt. BRB.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 10:06 AM
Pizza - you can install all the rooftrims - they are all in my game and the work well with the defaults by Honeywell.
Inventor
Original Poster
#34 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 3:40 AM
Pizza - you can install all the rooftrims - they are all in my game and the work well with the defaults by Honeywell.

Well, I know that we can change the roof patterns and the roof types, but I've never seen a way to change the roof edge colors; just like various other details (like the sky, water color and so on), you only get to choose one default, and it applies throughout the entire game. Or did Honeywell find a way around that?

Also, I went back and replaced the cheapy vanilla toilets with a couple from the Public Restroom Set that EmeraldFalcon suggested:

And even though they don't resemble the broken sink like the pedestal sinks do, I added two sinks from that set as well:

I'm not sure if the broken sink will impede the function of a working sink which has been move_objects'ed to the wall right over it, but I'll give it a shot. Other than that tidbit, I think that the Abandoned Romero House is ready for packaging.

"But Pizzatron! What about the Castaway goodies that lorinsv60 and Gazania recommended?"

Well, it turns out that the pipe-legged sink, the worn loveseat, the salvaged stove and the salvaged radio are among the Castaway goodies. The sittable boulder's a converted Castaway item too, and it looks pretty nice where it is. As for the leafy, bambooey stuff, I tried placing a few bits of it here and there, like the beds and the coconut tree. But ultimately, none of those distinctly tropical objects looked right with the "suburban wasteland" vibe of the Romero House. However, I was able to find the perfect place for those Castaway goodies...not just a lot, but an entire neighborhood where those objects would be more than welcome:

And so, on behalf of the native population of Moku Lahahana, I thank y'all. :lovestruc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 4:02 AM
Love your grotty lot, those toilets are perfect.

I don't think you are allowed to upload castaway stuff in lots here. I am wondering where you got that bedding and the rubbish bin though, two items I don't have.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#36 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Love your grotty lot, those toilets are perfect.

I agree. EmeraldFalcon struck gold with that set.

I don't think you are allowed to upload castaway stuff in lots here.

Huh. Why would that be, though? Possible file location conflicts for Simmers who have both TS2 and Castaway Stories installed, perhaps?

I am wondering where you got that bedding and the rubbish bin though, two items I don't have.

Between downloading all of the goodies HERE and HERE, you should have most of everything. I believe that the latter page is where I got the Tiki-looking trash can.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 6:11 AM
That's where I got what I have from, perhaps some of the links don't work any longer. I could be wrong about the castaway stuff but it might be worth posting and asking in Creator Issues. I thought it was more to do with stuff that is EA game content that we didn't pay for. MTS have all of those kind of annoying rules.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#38 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 3:20 AM
So after calling it "done" and packaging it, I finally got around to moving some students in and putting the Abandoned Romero House through its paces. The end result? Zombie toga parties.

So for those of you who contributed nicely and positively, you're wonderful people and I thank you aplenty. Looking back over everything here, it seems that we somehow overlooked tancred's suggestion about Martine's diner in all the hustle and bustle, but I'll go ahead and give that one a look too. If nothing else, the Romero House probably won't be the last shabby lot that I build. I might even build a shabby diner at some future point.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 4:36 AM
I will probably be looked at weirdly later today, since I have just laughed loudly (very loudly) at your Greek house
Excellent work. both the build and the story. (Rotten pieces of flesh in the food... )
Inventor
Original Poster
#40 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 3:32 PM
That's where I got what I have from, perhaps some of the links don't work any longer.

I think that I might now have an idea what the problem is here.

Trash cans are usually found under Buy Mode -> Miscellaneous -> Miscellaneous. But for some reason, Pescado (or whoever adapted the Castaway Stories items to TS2) catalogued the tiki trash can under Buy Mode -> Appliances -> Miscellaneous. So you might already have it; you just haven't looked in the right spot because its "right spot" isn't the usual right spot.

Check that catalog listing and get back with me, will you?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#41 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 5:38 PM
You can use Castaway stuff in your upload but it cannot be included in the package lot, it needs to be linked to a Custom content not included

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Inventor
Original Poster
#42 Old 23rd Feb 2016 at 1:41 PM
So basically, it would be a packaged lot without any Castaway stuff, possibly with a few tantalizing screenshots to say, "This is what this lot could look like if you added these Castaway items, and here are some links to where you can find them." I'm not sure if I see the whole point of going through the trouble; anyone can already add any CC to their lots in any way, Castaway items or otherwise. All you'd be doing is stoking their imaginations a little.

Thanks for clearing that up, though.

@joandsarah77 Did you find that trash can yet?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 23rd Feb 2016 at 8:16 PM
That's very possible Pizza. I'll check again when my medieval game is open.

I had a feeling that would be the case with castaway stuff in an uploaded lot. It is still worth it though Pizza. if you say in the blub 'download these first' then install my lot, the lot will come with those things in place. So you package the lot with the stuff, then untick it all before saving it again.

~Call me Jo~
Page 2 of 2