Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 6th Jul 2005 at 2:52 AM
perhaps i lost the original comments...that's all i can think of. whenever i have copied comments over to regroups (renamed to the original group name and put in order), they have only held the title of the group, no additional data. both of those last images i posted were from meshes that i only edited in milkshape (and barely altered) with no additions... i still don't understand texture mapping, but i was under the impression that i didn't need to do that unless i added parts to the mesh. oh, and yes, i'm definitely using the correct plugins.

thanks again...this is a never-ending saga!
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 6th Jul 2005 at 1:47 PM
Could you .zip up the .ms3d file of the finished mesh, before it was exported and attach it here? It's much easier to see what the problem could be that way.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 11:04 PM
i think i've got it! of all things, it was SimPE that was the problem...and not me! that's a big relief. i noticed that sanmoo had said that they couldn't use the latest version of SimPE with hair, so i got the older version and now everything is working again!
Scholar
#29 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 1:45 AM
Glad you got it working.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 23rd Sep 2005 at 8:45 PM
So I have made my first Sims 2 hair mesh but I don't have the animations. I mean the hair moves with the head properly and I have played around with asigning vertices to the neck etc. But even when I just re-import the exact same mesh after just looking at it but not changing it in MS3d 1.7.5, the hair does not swing or float when the sim moves, like the original hair does.
Where am Igoing wrong?
Scholar
#31 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 11:00 AM
It's not going to swing or float after editing.

You aren't doing anything wrong.

That is done by the secondary vertex assignments - MilkShape can't do those.

The other option is to export as an .obj file, then use the MeshTool to turn it back into a GMDC. That will preserve the animations, but also means you will be limited to only moving around the existing vertices of the mesh.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
It's not going to swing or float after editing.

You aren't doing anything wrong.

That is done by the secondary vertex assignments - MilkShape can't do those.

The other option is to export as an .obj file, then use the MeshTool to turn it back into a GMDC. That will preserve the animations, but also means you will be limited to only moving around the existing vertices of the mesh.

Thank you so much. So do you mean export the original mesh from SimPE with the export button, then import wavefront object into MS3d, move vertices around and export as .obj?

What about Auto Smooth? Smoth all?

Then how exactly should I turn it back into a GMDC?
1 Load 3d File (my .obj from Milkshape)
2 Load Sims 2 Mesh (the original .5gd)
3 Settings (everything checked except overwrite names)
4 Save File

Then replace the GMDC as I would a body mesh?

You must think I'm an idiot needing it spelled out in the tiniest detail.
Thanks again.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 2:53 AM
That kind of worked. It's so weird, on the left side of the head the hair is all bouncy and great but on the right side it doesn't move. What could that mean?
But thank you because it's still pretty cute and I'm excited to have gotten this far.
Page 2 of 2