Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 7:12 PM
Default Removing 'garments' from a top
A while back, I wanted to have a trendy leather jacket for my female Sims but since I couldn't find any, I just modified this item from the Store. My changes made the jacket look a little more like I wanted, but I really didn't like the shirt and scarf under it. I was just wondering I could remove those so that only the jacket remains. I want to have it as an accessory, so that I can use it with any shirt I want, or none at all. Now here's the problem: I don't know how to remove the geometry, and I probably wouldn't manage editing the textures either. Can someone tell me what I could do to remove it, or alternatively, could someone be bothered to do it for me?

package file

Thanks
~ Pi

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Grijze Pilion
A while back, I wanted to have a trendy leather jacket for my female Sims but since I couldn't find any, I just modified this item from the Store. My changes made the jacket look a little more like I wanted, but I really didn't like the shirt and scarf under it. I was just wondering I could remove those so that only the jacket remains. I want to have it as an accessory, so that I can use it with any shirt I want, or none at all. Now here's the problem: I don't know how to remove the geometry, and I probably wouldn't manage editing the textures either. Can someone tell me what I could do to remove it, or alternatively, could someone be bothered to do it for me?

package file

Thanks
~ Pi

I guess it's not really helpful, but if you export it in Milkshape as a obj. Import it like an obj. in Blender and then in Blender you can use 'L' and then use the 'delete' button... I could help you getting rid of everything but the jacket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 8:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
I guess it's not really helpful, but if you export it in Milkshape as a obj. Import it like an obj. in Blender and then in Blender you can use 'L' and then use the 'delete' button... I could help you getting rid of everything but the jacket.

I tried opening the mesh in Milkshape, these errors appeared:
Quote: Originally posted by me
Default skeleton used.
and
Hashed Bone 0xFEAE6981 not in skeleton.

After dismissing both errors, a clusterfuck of blue orbs appears in the render windows.

I changed the mesh and textures anyway.
But something has gone horribly wrong, and the morphs are now all over the place. This is beyond annoying.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 10:32 AM
I tried opening the mesh in Milkshape, these errors appeared:

I changed the mesh and textures anyway.
But something has gone horribly wrong, and the morphs are now all over the place. This is beyond annoying.

I'll take a look at it ^-^ Seems that there is more to it than just deleting the pieces but also some bone problems.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 11:30 AM
I'll take a look at it ^-^ Seems that there is more to it than just deleting the pieces but also some bone problems.

Alright, thanks!

insert signature here
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 9:27 PM
So I made it into an accessory, but I haven't tested it in game yet. Although I am aware of a Normals problem, that I can't seem to fix but you won't really notice if I am right. I'll give you the TSRW save and the package ^-^

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2y36o0so...RYEDIT.zip?dl=0

The thing that I encountered with the older mesh in the package was the fact that it was in a way 'locked' and now I understand why TSRW doesn't like store items like these, since they don't have a BONE as tag but GEOM as tag. Let me know if you encounter something weird though! I'll try to fix it, but it should work!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 10:10 PM
Wow, it's looking great in my game. I'm gonna see how I can improve it further - some basic mesh editing and some texture work will do wonders. Thanks so much for your help!

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 3:33 PM
So I've been looking into the jacket and there's a few things I've noticed.
  • There's 3 meshes in the package file, 2 of which are of another item. I'll assume this is the accessory you cloned it from and if not, do these meshes serve as LODs?
  • I don't know what you did with the normal map but I'm kind of liking the graininess it gives the jacket. The uneven texture gives the jacket a more, what's the word, leathery look. The details are all off, though. Can you tell me what you did to generate the normal? I'd fancy having the best of both.

insert signature here
Virtual gardener
#9 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 6:41 PM
So I've been looking into the jacket and there's a few things I've noticed.
  • There's 3 meshes in the package file, 2 of which are of another item. I'll assume this is the accessory you cloned it from and if not, do these meshes serve as LODs?
  • I don't know what you did with the normal map but I'm kind of liking the graininess it gives the jacket. The uneven texture gives the jacket a more, what's the word, leathery look. The details are all off, though. Can you tell me what you did to generate the normal? I'd fancy having the best of both.

OH Yes! I forgot to tell you! I used a reference mesh because regular bracelets don't have morphs (And I wanted to make it base game compatible). And I forgot to add the LODS to it. And I guess the reason why the texture was all that is because I usually export the multiplier as a PNG instead of a DDS because if I would import it into Photoshop, the DDS version gets all glitch-y and the transparency background gets lost. So I'm sorry if there was a Jacket that I didn't set as 1024x1024 and sharpened it. I made the Normal map myself because I wasn't sure that if I would use the old one, it would give 'bump' at places where it shouldn't. Like the scarf that was attached to it. I made a tutorial about it here: http://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.co...-for-the-sims-3

I wouldn't mind fixing those LODs. I just thought about that 3 hours after I uploaded it >-<
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 6:58 PM
OH Yes! I forgot to tell you! I used a reference mesh because regular bracelets don't have morphs (And I wanted to make it base game compatible). And I forgot to add the LODS to it. And I guess the reason why the texture was all that is because I usually export the multiplier as a PNG instead of a DDS because if I would import it into Photoshop, the DDS version gets all glitch-y and the transparency background gets lost. So I'm sorry if there was a Jacket that I didn't set as 1024x1024 and sharpened it. I made the Normal map myself because I wasn't sure that if I would use the old one, it would give 'bump' at places where it shouldn't. Like the scarf that was attached to it. I made a tutorial about it here: http://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.co...-for-the-sims-3

I wouldn't mind fixing those LODs. I just thought about that 3 hours after I uploaded it >-<

I've replaced those meshes with the actual mesh for now. I'll probably do the same thing with the normal. I'll post a picture once I get it done.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 10:52 PM
So here's the jacket now:

I went back to the old normal map since that worked best. I need to re-learn how to generate normals since it kept going wrong. I still wanna edit the mesh and the textures some because I think the jacket's too long, and I'm not 100% satisfied with it's current shape and design. Unfortunately it doesn't work with a lot of tops, but there's still a dozen or so ones it'll look okay with. Mostly basegame tops, actually. A little creative CASting can make anything look good, though.

Package file

insert signature here
Virtual gardener
#12 Old 15th Jan 2016 at 8:36 PM
So here's the jacket now:

I went back to the old normal map since that worked best. I need to re-learn how to generate normals since it kept going wrong. I still wanna edit the mesh and the textures some because I think the jacket's too long, and I'm not 100% satisfied with it's current shape and design. Unfortunately it doesn't work with a lot of tops, but there's still a dozen or so ones it'll look okay with. Mostly basegame tops, actually. A little creative CASting can make anything look good, though.

Package file

I actually scaled it a little bit (just like almost nothing) so it isn't even noticeable. But If you would like to use it for "bigger' meshes, you could scale it more. Especially the torso. But Accessory coats are always having trouble with any overlapping top meshes. It's better to have a textured top or a really thin one, because Accessory coats doesn't like those big meshes. But it is looking good already!