Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers wanted*** bed with heart shape cut out and two cushions

by Samekh Posted 29th Mar 2005 at 9:42 PM - Updated 23rd Oct 2008 at 2:48 PM by whitesiren

84 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 83 Feedback Posts
Page 3 of 4
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#51 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:22 PM
Try this one too. They wont hurt but they might not all work. I can definately import and export .obj files into and out of gmax now and I think I've tracked down all my downloaded plugins now. You have some stamina!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  GMaxSLGRAB.zip (16.5 KB, 12 downloads)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#52 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:31 PM Last edited by Samekh : 30th Mar 2005 at 6:35 PM.
Damn and blast, I hate it when I get cut off in the middle of trying to explain something. You might have figured it out now anyway. Are you ready for your cushion tutorial yet?

GMAX can't reproduce the low-poly concave and convex surfaces that exist in the Maxis original objects by the way. That's why my meshes are so high poly. I've tried with bathtubs and things and I can't get them to look smooth. Perhaps GMAX isn't the one for you. It is FREE though, and quite sophisticated and 'hands on'. That's why I like it anyway.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:37 PM
Still not working, I am giving up all hope lol.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#54 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:46 PM
Go to chat. I'm going to chat now. It's quicker than refreshing and posting replies. The football is on now and I'm getting cabbaged. I'll try to help you more in chat.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#55 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:48 PM
I'm banned! Why am I banned?
Field Researcher
#56 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:53 PM
Heheheh, are you? Madness! I wondered why you weren't showing up...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#57 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:55 PM
I had a couple of arguments I think. I PMed once because I was tricked into it (like passing bits of paper at school and getting caught with one). I'm not sure. It's very embarrassing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#58 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:57 PM
Have you ever been banned? Will I be forgiven? I've sent an email to Delphy. They weren't big fights - particularly the second one. I backed off at the first sign of trouble and I thought I was completely exonerated from all blame!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#59 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:59 PM
Maybe it's for the best... Will you ask the moderators what I did? Please.

And then tell me.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:03 PM
I am not familiar with chat, never been on it before. Besides, why aren't you allowed to PM?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#61 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:10 PM
It's like whispering in someone's ear at a party I think.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:13 PM
Uhhhhhhh, ok then.... I mean why can't you is it because the moderator people need to see what you're seeing or something?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#63 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:17 PM
Also. Breadbin!

What JWoods said sounds right. It's a question of uv mapping (there is a free uv mapper out there somewhere but gmax can map objects and you can see the results before you export). You may have your object trying to use just a small portion of the texture image you want to use and, therefore, it's stretching the pixels to fit. UV mapping is complex and difficult to do right but, for instance, if you're making a breadbin and you want it to be all the same texture (wood for instance) - use the same size image for your map as the maxis object you cloned to make the object, and spread the vertices around the whole image to take it all in. Is that any help?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#64 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:20 PM
I'm not sure that was the naughty thing I did. I'm still waiting to hear from Delphy - if I ever do. This is really depressing because I loved the chatroom after a hard day trying to mesh. I was talking about fungi with exotic and slightly erotic names the other night! Maybe that's it. Oh, no. Done it again.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#65 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:29 PM
You're in the chat room, aren't you?!
Mesh Maestro
#66 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:37 PM
Here is a free UV mapping program... http://www.uvmapper.com/

Remember to save the "Map and the Object"
When you import into the mapper Just import the actual object not the shadows otherwise you will be mapping the shadows as well... After you save the object bring it back into your 3D editor and put the shadow objects back save and "walla" you have a nice UV mapping of your object...

Another thing I want to mention that has been bugging me since reading this thread yesturday....
Remember what we are all doing out here... When a creater uploads a file for testing it is for just that... If you do not like the cushions find a bed you do like and test that.... Testers roles are to test the objects integrity in game.. These threads are not for telling the creator to change the structure of his mesh to satisfy their own liking... I realize the matter is cleared up but remember what we are all doing here...
I
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#67 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:46 PM
Is that why I've been banned?! Anonymous - come here.

Joking..
Honest...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#68 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:50 PM
It's quite useful this - being banned. At this point (hard day meshing, looking after child, doing the ironing and housework etc.) I'd usually be in the chat room but now my comments are

SET IN STONE

for me to humbly reflect upon afterwards.

Why am I banned.

The only new thing I did was on Sunday which was to introduce a friend of mine, nicky maldive, to the chat room. I can't believe she's stymied me.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:53 PM
Samekh, I am working on my bread bin thingy. Uv mapping isn't gonna help either, it maps it as a square...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#70 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:58 PM
Have you got gmax? Can you import it into gmax? It depends on what shape (in gmax) it roughly looks like but I'll talk you through mapping in gmax if you want.
Field Researcher
#71 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 8:01 PM
Well, gmax doesn't wanna import objects so it's not gonna work Besides if it's not even displaying a change in colour would uv mapping really help?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#72 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 8:06 PM
In gmax you use the same size image your base clone object uses. I believe there are ways of changing the image size (for when you replace texture image) but - way too complicated for me. I alway use the object (to clone) with the closest number of meshes I want and a really big texture image to use. Does your mesh use one texture image or two?
Field Researcher
#73 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 8:08 PM
Just one texture, it was cloned from the 12th century vase. The blue one with a white pattern.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#74 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 8:12 PM
You can't import. Under the hammer icon (top left) maxscript button are you getting this option?

It's gmax importer version 2 apparently. Haven't I given you that? Where is it? If you don't have it. Scream at me. Everyone else does. I can help you map in gmax if you have it.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#75 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 8:14 PM
Top ish, top right sorry.
Page 3 of 4