Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 8:30 AM
Default Can My Neighborhood Be Salvaged
I'm sort of starting to hate Sims 2. Sims 2 is a great game, its a lot of fun, but its time consuming its work and your neighborhoods corrupt so easily. I moved a previously occupied house into the sim bin and placed it in another neighborhood. I thought I knew about everyway to corrupt your neighborhood, but I was wrong because I did this thinking my houses would be fine and now I am seeing signs of corruption.

In one of my houses the children have empty wants & fears slots and have adult LTWs. Another of my teen sims is marked as being engaged to his married uncle instead of you know family. I tried rerolling the wants for the children the slots remain empty. The family tree for the teen who appears as engaged to his uncle is intact- for now. But this is actually sorta of depressing. I've been building this neighborhood for over a year. My legacy is a rebooted from a previos hood and the third gen is going to college. I actually feel like I was getting somewhere.

Can this be salvaged at all? Anyone know. Anyone have any ideas?

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 8:46 AM
That's bad. Moving occupied houses into the bin or between hoods is one of the major ways of causing corruption. When you moved it you should have even seen a pop up warning. That particular hood can not be salvaged unless you have a back up, but you can continue your legacy in a new hood. If there is no backup you need to write down the stats of the sims you want to keep. For example their personality points, one true hobby, skill points, zodiac and job level. You then extract the sim in simPE, open body shop and clone the sim before deleting the extracted one. Your sim will be in CAS ready to place in the new hood and you can use SimPE to set their stats and DNA.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 9:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's bad. Moving occupied houses into the bin or between hoods is one of the major ways of causing corruption.

It was a previously, not currently occupied house. According to the sims wiki this also causes corruption. I am hoping its not as bad as moving an occupied house to the sims bin.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 9:18 AM
Sorry I obviously didn't read properly. The current thought is we are not sure if it's safe or not, that's what Mootilda said. If the house was emptied of furniture that should have got rid of most sim references. Leaving the furniture in with the stay all shrub isn't a good idea. Have you done anything else? Removed an NPC containing download like a multi Poly tech mod or a moving item like a farm animal or anything that you can think of. Children with a LTW would be a direct result of shredded sim data which as far as I know can only happen if a sims character file has been shredded.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 10:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Sorry I obviously didn't read properly.

no worries.

Quote:
The current thought is we are not sure if it's safe or not, that's what Mootilda said. If the house was emptied of furniture that should have got rid of most sim references. Leaving the furniture in with the stay all shrub isn't a good idea. Have you done anything else? Removed an NPC containing download like a multi Poly tech mod or a moving item like a farm animal or anything that you can think of. Children with a LTW would be a direct result of shredded sim data which as far as I know can only happen if a sims character file has been shredded.

I don't think any of the lots were furnished. I like to furnish my lots around my family's personalities, so I'm fairly certain they would have been empty at move-in.

I haven't done any of the things you mentioned. I used clean templates. I've only had one mod for my poly-tech and my ideal plant sim. I can't think of what could have caused shredded character files.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 10:59 AM
What about in setting up the clean templates? Perhaps you did something wrong? Not that knowing will help this hood as it's already toast, but if you know what you did you can avoid in in future. What does the hood checker say?

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:02 PM
I never had a corrupted neighborhood since 2008 (when i bought Sims 2). And I even abused of the 'delete-all-character' cheat.

About the Bin, there is a default house that has already a family in the bin, when you start the game (it comes from Pets). What about that?

Che il sultano mantenga le tradizioni nella propria terra, ma non tenti di imporle ad altri regnanti.
That the sultan may keep his tradition in his own land, but not attempt to force them on other rulers.
(Vlad Țepeș)
Theorist
#8 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:14 PM
Just because you didn't see the corruption doesn't mean it wasn't there. It can take time to show up, and if you switch 'hoods a lot, you might not notice. But if you used deleteallcharacters or did something else on the Hood Corruption page, your 'hood was corrupted, whether you noticed or not.

There are two occupied lots that come with Pets. Those are safe. The programmers did some special magical programmers-only thing that regular users can't do to make them so. Putting an occupied lot in the bin using the button supplied for users to do so is not safe and will corrupt your 'hood.

I recommend that everybody read this article, since it has lots of good, game-saving information: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:46 PM
Ms. Doren, take heart - I've been playing Drama Acres, which I know is corrupted out the wazoo, for at least three years now (not sure at what point I corrupted it). When something goes wrong, I use tools to fix it enough to play. SimPE can fix the family thing tree. Sometimes moving house is enough to fix the want slots. Clearing gossip with the batbox and running the HoodChecker can help you get rid of a lot of corruption-causing elements. Sometimes want slot emptying is caused by mod conflicts - Andrew Gloria thought his Veronaville was a goner for exactly that reason, but experimenting in other hoods proved that the problem was in his downloads folder, and now he's playing his Veronaville again.

If you want to keep playing this hood, you can keep playing this hood for awhile. No telling how long.

But I find the knowledge that Drama Acres is corrupt and will die someday oddly liberating. Every time I think of something that would be fun to do, and then think of a reason not to do it - generally "but the neighborhood is already so huge!" (because somehow my best ideas tend to come with new characters) - I also think: "But Drama Acres is dying anyway. Who cares if it's too big?" And I jump in there and use the cheesecake, create the warehouse full of homeless teens, Try for Baby, open the new business - and it always pays off in fun, and the neighborhood is still here. Yeah, sometimes I have to reset LTWs. Sometimes i have to restore from backup. Sometimes I have to play around blank want slots. Sometimes I have to do complicated things in SimPE. But I always enjoy my neighborhood. Which is the point.

And when it dies, I will mourn; but I will also start a new neighborhood, and have fun with that, too.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 2:01 PM
Yeah, you can't really do anything
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
There are two occupied lots that come with Pets. Those are safe. The programmers did some special magical programmers-only thing that regular users can't do to make them so.

Are you sure they didn't just create an empty neighborhood and the Sims on the occupied lots were the only Sims in the whole neighborhood? Or are there more references there that I'm not aware of?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 3:58 PM
We aren't sure how they did it. I'm pretty sure Mootilda said on here somewhere that she thought it probable that the reason the lot bin families weren't corrupt was that the designers worked in a completely empty environment. If so, a sufficiently careful creator could do the same, using AGS/empty templates and appropriate spawn-suppressing mods.

It would have to be a "download at your own risk" situation, because without access to the source code/extensive testing even Mootilda couldn't be sure.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 8:18 PM
JoeandSarah my progress in this hood has been slow so I've had it long enough that i don't quite remember what I did when I set up my hood. I did let the FT premades spawn and now I am wondering if that caused the problem. I did check the tutorial I followed and it didn't say this was a problem, but I've looked at more recent tutorials on the wiki and they give more involved directions for keeping EP pre-mades from spawing as well. The hood-checker did clear out a bunch of corrupt files, but some remain.

these:
User files:
Sim has no Character file: 0x007E SimID=0x00000950
Sim has no Character file: 0x007F SimID=0x00000956
Sim has no Character file: 0x0080 SimID=0x0000094E
Sim has no Character file: 0x0081 SimID=0x0064C514
Sim has no Character file: 0x0082 SimID=0x0064C513
Sim has no Character file: 0x0083 SimID=0x0064C512
Sim has no Character file: 0x0084 SimID=0x0064C511
Sim has no Character file: 0x0085 SimID=0x00558507
Sim has no Character file: 0x0086 SimID=0x00558506
Sim has no Character file: 0x0087 SimID=0x00558505
Sim has no Character file: 0x0088 SimID=0x00558504

I am assuming these are the shredded character files.
Memories:
Subject does not exist: 0x013E Kalin Danvers: Met SimID=0x00558505
Subject does not exist: 0x0209 Ray Syrcau: Met SimID=0x00558505
Subject does not exist: 0x0209 Ray Syrcau: Met SimID=0x00558507
Subject does not exist: 0x020D Rolfe Syrcau: Met SimID=0x00558507
Subject does not exist: 0x020D Rolfe Syrcau: Met SimID=0x00558504
Subject does not exist: 0x020F Ivan Syrcau: Met SimID=0x00558504

All of the memories are linked to sims that have met aliens, actually they are all linked to males that have become impregnated by aliens via telescope abduction. Which I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the polytech mod I downloaded or a mod conflicting with my polytechs somehow....I can't think of anything that would do that, but we all know how that goes....

I'm going to load the game and see if the alien kids have intact family trees. Sims don't actually get memories of meeting individual aliens, do they so perhaps this is normal?

Peni- Thank you. I suppose I could look at this as an opportunity to learn how to edit sims with SimPE since I've only ever used it to extract sims and recolor the occasional painting...I moved the family with the kids that had the empty want slots and their wants did reset. But they still have LTW's other than grow-up. I'll do some testing with downloads and also have a look at older back-ups to see if I can pinpoint when the corruption might have started.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 9:13 PM
When I manually added a "met aliens" memory for Skye Weiss, the Hoodchecker always picked up on it as invalid, which I presumed was because the PT never spawned (Skye's alien children were created in CAS). Perhaps something similar is going on here? As far as I could tell there were no stray bits of code created. You're right that individual sims don't get specific memories, just "met aliens," in an unmodded game. If the multi-PT mods piggyback on the base game coding for alien impregnation, I wouldn't expect them to get memories of meeting the alternate PTs, either. This is presumably all related.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 10:10 PM
I can relate to the love-hate of Sims 2. I love the game, but it is so much work and it's so frustrating when it doesn't cooperate. I've been rebuilding my corrupted hood for almost two years, and just as I'm finally getting back up to par, the old problem has resurfaced and my game is crashing all over the place. Killed all interest in playing, but I know it'll come back, and when it does, I'll try to deal with it.

I find it helps to take a break and do something else. When my game joy dies, I create things, or clean my downloads.
Theorist
#16 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
Are you sure they didn't just create an empty neighborhood and the Sims on the occupied lots were the only Sims in the whole neighborhood? Or are there more references there that I'm not aware of?

Nope, not sure at all. I do know that's very difficult to do right, and impossible to do in a vanilla game, so as Peni suggests, perhaps they had a magical programmer equivalent of AGS and noregen hacks.

Or maybe they just downloaded AGS and the noregen hacks from the community. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out they did.

But the point was that we the community are not sure how they made those occupied lots in the bin from Pets safe, so we the community can't consistently recreate the effect of safe, occupied lots in the bin. But we do know for sure that just moving an occupied lot to the bin using the game tools isn't how they did it.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 12:13 PM
Did you make sure to remove all the offworld loiterers? Those can create ghost references as well.