Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 3:24 PM
gimp help with pattern making
Hi everyone,

I'm using gimp to make a pattern whilst following HP's tutorial. In the channels window of gimp both red and green layers are the pattern (which is a black and white demask pattern) so I worked out that if I set the red layer as the white background and then the green layer as the pattern it works, but when I go to save it comes up with this message:

DDS: It appears your image may be a volume map,
but not all layers are the same type, thus a volume
map cannot be written (Perhaps some layers have
transparency and others do not?)

I'm just really confused, if someone could link me to a tutorial that uses gimp to make a pattern or if someone does it them self and wouldn't mind helping me i'd be very happy

Thanks

Scoob
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 5:56 PM Last edited by Gangreless : 9th Aug 2009 at 6:24 PM.
I think I might have to write a tutorial for pattern making in gimp, there really isn't a very good one around. I think you might not be composing the colors back. Here are the basic steps for patterning in gimp:

Open new 256x256 file
Right click on layer and set alpha
Decompose colors
Switch the order of the layers so you have Red on the bottom, then Green above that, then Blue and Alpha on the top
Make sure red is all white
Green should have your pattern. Since you just have 2 colors you just put your pattern in white with black bg here and then Blue and Alpha should be all black.
Now compose the colors and in the popup choose RGBA then make sure that all the colors match up below and click ok.
NOW you save that as the dds.

I will be begin working on a tutorial for making a pattern in gimp from start to finish today, even if nobody else needs it, I can always use something to look back on every now and then when I forget some small little thing XD

Ok, so the TSR has a tutorial for gimp http://www.thesimsresource.com/work...tern%20Tutorial

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 6:56 PM
The layers as such are not supposed to have transparency (you can have different shades of grey, but the layer's opacity must be 100%).
Also, make sure all your layers are the same size.

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift, that is why
We call it the Present.
Test Subject
#4 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scoob94P
Hi everyone,

DDS: It appears your image may be a volume map,
but not all layers are the same type, thus a volume
map cannot be written (Perhaps some layers have
transparency and others do not?)

Scoob

Volume Map means, that you have more then one Layer and that's wrong.
before you save the .DDS, you must compose the Components (fig.9-- fig.13 of the TSR-Tut)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 8:27 PM
Thank you, I finally got it worked out some time this afternoon thanks again