Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 6:41 PM
Default Staying interested in a legacy
Hey guys, I'm getting pretty bored of my year-old legacy save, and I don't know what to do to keep it spicy. :/ idk. I don't want to delete it, because i'm pretty attatched. Just tired of it I guess
Any tips?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 8:20 PM
Legacies tire me out sometimes too, it's inevitable. What usually gets me interested in mine again is either starting a new (fairly different) save, or leaving the game alone for a while and doing something else. You could also go by your sims' wishes instead of planning their lives out for them, if you don't already do that (in short, less micromanaging and more "letting the game do what it wants").

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 8:37 PM
I am wondering..what is your sims lifespan for that legacy?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I am wondering..what is your sims lifespan for that legacy?

I use the default lifespan for all my games
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Legacies tire me out sometimes too, it's inevitable. What usually gets me interested in mine again is either starting a new (fairly different) save, or leaving the game alone for a while and doing something else. You could also go by your sims' wishes instead of planning their lives out for them, if you don't already do that (in short, less micromanaging and more "letting the game do what it wants").

I try to do that, but I think I'm a little bit too storyteller in my core haha, I always have a plan
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SabinaHarrietJ
I use the default lifespan for all my games

By default you mean, *normal* lifespan?
See, I always play on Epic..and was wondering if this was the reason I always get tired of my families.. no point starting a legacy, I know I won't go far before I stop being interested!
I thought..if I play on Normal..then I won't have time to get tired of them..lol
Oh well..I tried.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
One Minute Ninja'd
#7 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 10:24 PM
One thing that I find helpful is moving my legacy family to a new town. While perhaps not the pure legacy "challenge" approach, it keeps things interesting exploring a new town and making new friends. Another is moving into a new legacy house every so often, which again keeps me interested in continuing. Typically after the first generation, your family has enough money to move into all types of new homes, so going from a traditional to say a very contemporary home can liven things up. Again, that might not be classic "legacy" play, but as I'm playing for my own enjoyment, I figure I can "make" the rules fit my play style.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
One thing that I find helpful is moving my legacy family to a new town. While perhaps not the pure legacy "challenge" approach, it keeps things interesting exploring a new town and making new friends. Another is moving into a new legacy house every so often, which again keeps me interested in continuing. Typically after the first generation, your family has enough money to move into all types of new homes, so going from a traditional to say a very contemporary home can liven things up. Again, that might not be classic "legacy" play, but as I'm playing for my own enjoyment, I figure I can "make" the rules fit my play style.

I haven't actually tried that before I think I'm too strict on myself doing challenges sometimes. I recently got Hidden Springs, Aurora Skies and Monte Vista. Which do you think I should move them to? They're in Appaloosa Plains right now
One Minute Ninja'd
#9 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 11:25 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Hidden Springs, but if you have it you should check it out at least once. AS and MV are both very nice worlds, despite the crapped up snow in AS (of all worlds, but there is a fixed version out there, here's the link to save the search http://sigmundsims.tumblr.com/post/...of-aurora-skies ).

MV is really nice and the architecture is unique, which unfortunately creates the problem of either moving into an existing EA home (something I just don't do), or building something appropriate to the style. It's not the sort of world you can just save your legacy with the house to the library and plunk down in MV. Well, you could, but chances are the build style will not blend well unless your "legacy home" is already in that sorta Tuscany design.

Really, just the change of scenery and new sims to meet makes a big difference. The family I have now dates back 57 generations (I have an archive saves folder with samples from all generations if I ever want to make some gigantic family tree) which I started in 2014. For the past while I keep moving them between Roaring Heights (one of my favorite EA worlds, and a fave world period) and Angel City. This current house has been with them for about 6 generations now (I think). It has all sorts of little stuff from earlier generations scattered in it such as the gifts from school trips, acting awards, other professional rewards, and just assorted stuff passed on from the earlier generations, so I have some sense of continuity with the founders. Having a fresh environment for the new generations to explore keeps me going. I think if I went back to try and just remain in a single world for all the generations I'd lose interest in legacy play.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 3:37 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 30th Mar 2016 at 3:52 AM.
You can always split a legacy where you take one of the less-important siblings/heirs/cousins and send them off into a new world to start a challenge or another playstyle.

Kind of like spreading seeds in the wind and seeing where those take root, or taking cuttings from the family tree and planting new ones. On top of that, you can start to develop a larger web of stories to play with!
Alchemist
#12 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 6:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
You can always split a legacy where you take one of the less-important siblings/heirs/cousins and send them off into a new world to start a challenge or another playstyle.

Kind of like spreading seeds in the wind and seeing where those take root, or taking cuttings from the family tree and planting new ones. On top of that, you can start to develop a larger web of stories to play with!

This and what nitromon suggested are great ideas. I once moved a sim's sister to France to live with her spouse there permanently, and a generation later her daughter (my sim's niece) came to visit the home town

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 7:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I have a suggestion and it is something I've done before.

It will require you to have NRAAS traveler.

1) Start a brand new game. Choose a homeworld that is NOT the same as your current legacy world.
2) Play around, do whatever, but don't travel. Then just save the game. Then quit the game.
3) Copy the NHD file of your legacy save into your NEW savefile.

Now your old legacy world and all the people inside, etc... will be preserved in your new game as a vacation world. When you travel there, they would all still be there and they will progress without you like any vacation world. You can now focus on your new world, yet still be able to visit your old world or even have them visit your new world as tourists.

---

If the above is confusing, here's an example:

1) My legacy world is Sunset Valley. I'm tired of it and want to try something new.
2) I start a new game in Bridgeport. Then I save the game and quit.
3) I copy "Sunset Valley_0x0859db3c.nhd" into my new save game. Just the nhd file, nothing lese.
4) Now when I play my new world in Bridgeport, I can use Traveler to visit Sunset Valley, which will have my old legacy world, all the sims, all the lots, etc... as a vacation spot. After your 1st travel to your old world, the world is now linked to your new world and your old legacy sims will visit Bridgeport as tourists.

I do have NRaas Traveler, but I'd never thought about using it in that way, so thanks
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000

This is a cool idea. Thanks for the thought!
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 10:33 PM
I have a legacy world I started playing a few years ago and after awhile they can get a little "stale". I do pretty much what some of the others in here have suggested using Traveler. I now have 4 worlds linked with extended families and friends living in other worlds and they all visit back and forth in the 4 worlds and also often vacation together is a couple small worlds I've remade into resort worlds. Rotating families as well spices things up a bit.
There is more detail and suggestions Here On The Traveler FAQ Page.
Scholar
#16 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 6:44 AM
Just tried Traveler for the first time and set it up just like nitromon said, and I have to say it's pretty neat. I don't have World Adventures so I never even considered Traveler before, but luckily I found out it works without that EP and gave it a try. The only problem I see is that I can't seem to invite anyone I met from the other town when I get back to my main town, but I'm sure that's because I don't have World Adventures. I only tried it on a test save, but I'll probably set up my main save to use Traveler since it will provide a nice option to change things up when the main town gets dull. Thanks for mentioning that nitromon, now I have something different I'll be able to mess around with!
Alchemist
#17 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 3:20 PM
I'm not a legacy player at all but since I've played with the same family line since from the release of the base game, I guess in some manner I could be called one anyway. I've never gotten bored, just the opposite... I can't give the family up, I'm too attached to it now. Anyways, I play with normal lifespan and the "chosen one" from each generation always does something different than the one before. Each generation usually have 3 to 4 kids, so I have a larger group to choose from. Each chosen one always gets a new home because I like build and decorate but get bored to the houses after one generation and because I don't want to live in the same house as the parents.

I also change towns quite often, usually after every two generations. Of course, all the tombs are taken with each time, so no passed generation gets lost. If the chosen one is female, then she will marry a male. If the chosen one is a male, he will always marry a male. In that case, though, surrogate mothers are used to keep the family line intact. Also, the person whom the chosen one marries, is always premade/game generated sim. Doesn't mean I wont give them a slight touch-up, though. And, I don't like ordinary 9 to 5 jobs, so to speak, so hardly any of my sims have a normal job.
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 5:24 PM
Whenever I'm tired of my legacy family, I normally just make an interesting person. Just let the newest member of the household be really evil, and have it's goal to be ruining other sims lives. Or make a heartbreaker or try to have alot of kids, it normally does make the family more exciting.