Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 8:15 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 17th Mar 2018 at 3:26 AM.
Default Newbie help with first mod of Maxis object - making autonomous
Hi, all, I've read the few tutorials about TTAB and extracting the Pie Menu Functions and changing the motives/advertising, etc. and I attempted to package the .xml files for the Logs of Burning and modify them. I was hoping to make the Light the Fire happen autonomously. It was already set to 32, but had no advertising. I tried a few modifications, particularly trying to advertise comfort since the camping sims would be looking for that, but even after removing all hammocks, tents, etc., sims go into comfort meltdown but still don't go near the logs. Is there something else blocking this interaction or have I just messed up somehow?
All tips appreciated!

EDIT: I updated the file. It seems to work in my game.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  autofire.zip (2.5 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Works in my game. Campers autonmously light fire.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Hi, all, I've read the few tutorials about TTAB and extracting the Pie Menu Functions and changing the motives/advertising, etc. and I attempted to package the .xml files for the Logs of Burning and modify them. I was hoping to make the Light the Fire happen autonomously. It was already set to 32, but had no advertising. I tried a few modifications, particularly trying to advertise comfort since the camping sims would be looking for that, but even after removing all hammocks, tents, etc., sims go into comfort meltdown but still don't go near the logs. Is there something else blocking this interaction or have I just messed up somehow?
All tips appreciated!

If 32 in TTAB doesn't work, it may be in the Guardian BHAV.

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 12:31 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 10th Mar 2018 at 12:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ankoyume
If 32 in TTAB doesn't work, it may be in the Guardian BHAV.

Thank you. I haven't gotten this far, yet. I will read tutorials, but, can you point me in the right direction in this particular object? Right now the Guardian BHAV is Interaction - Light Fire TEST.
Instructor
#4 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 7:04 PM Last edited by ankoyume : 10th Mar 2018 at 8:09 PM.
can you point me in the right direction in this particular object? Right now the Guardian BHAV is Interaction - Light Fire TEST.

Would be easier with the group number.

EDIT : Ok I've three of them in Mansion and Garden (0x7FFD4F2D + 0x7FE44FE8 + 0x7F8C96C8), and none of them seems to test for autonomy. It should already be an autonmous action. Something else must be blocking it but I can't seem to find what : there's only TTAB, guardian and portal OBJF (this one is not a portal).
I've read somewhere that param 0 in an interaction idicates if it is autonomous or not. ButI don't know if it will help at anything

Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 5:06 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 13th Mar 2018 at 12:33 PM.
Would be easier with the group number.

EDIT : Ok I've three of them in Mansion and Garden (0x7FFD4F2D + 0x7FE44FE8 + 0x7F8C96C8), and none of them seems to test for autonomy. It should already be an autonmous action. Something else must be blocking it but I can't seem to find what : there's only TTAB, guardian and portal OBJF (this one is not a portal).
I've read somewhere that param 0 in an interaction idicates if it is autonomous or not. ButI don't know if it will help at anything

Thanks, that's what I feel, too, something else is blocking. The one this file is from is 0x7FE44FE8. Originally it had no motives advertising, but changing that didn't help.

I'm not sure what this means, except that I need to learn how BHAV works, but I tried copying the Light Fire to a new menu item, "I Light Fire," it showed up. It still wouldn't tempt Sims to use it autonomously, but when I had the sim "I Light Fire," the fire never went out. It was the eternal marshmallow roaster ever after.
Instructor
#6 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 12:59 AM
Thanks, that's what I feel, too, something else is blocking. The one this file is from is 0x7FE44FE8. Originally it had no motives advertising, but changing that didn't help.

I'm not sure what this means, except that I need to learn how BHAV works, but I tried copying the Light Fire to a new menu item, "I Light Fire," it showed up. It still wouldn't tempt Sims to use it autonomously, but when I had the sim "I Light Fire," the fire never went out. It was the eternal marshmallow roaster ever after.

Maybe the interaction isn't used per se, but must be pushed from another object (some controller perhaps). It must be the reason why it wasn't advertised.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 8:56 PM
Maybe the interaction isn't used per se, but must be pushed from another object (some controller perhaps). It must be the reason why it wasn't advertised.

I hadn't thought of that. What could it be, though? Oddly, they do stack the wood autonomously.
Instructor
#8 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 1:21 PM
I hadn't thought of that. What could it be, though? Oddly, they do stack the wood autonomously.

I figure out now that I was saying nonsense : if it is pushed from another BHAV, it means it is already autonomous.
However, you said it was already 32, so I think that you shouldn't try to make it autonomous, but rather test in which case it would be autonomous and change that.

What I mean is the sims are maybe already able to light fire autonomously but for instance, only if their temperature is very low... See if you can find when the sim do it autonomously, then fast push error to find which step was used and know then what to modify. Perhaps the test for this interaction is in the "Main Process autonomy" from Person global ?

Scholar
#9 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 4:26 PM
You need to actually give sims what is advertised, if comfort is advertised then you need to give them some comfort gain by doing the action.
I have a set of (adult) interactions where relationship gain and memories can be switched off, within a short time of switching those gains off sims stop doing them autonomously. It seems the game reads the op-codes ahead to determine what actions a sim should do.
Advertising is more used to determine if a sim stop doing something, for example if sim's energy motive is getting very low and the current action is advertising energy gain the sim will continue, otherwise the sim will stop and look for something else.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 10:24 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 17th Mar 2018 at 3:19 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
You need to actually give sims what is advertised, if comfort is advertised then you need to give them some comfort gain by doing the action.
I have a set of (adult) interactions where relationship gain and memories can be switched off, within a short time of switching those gains off sims stop doing them autonomously. It seems the game reads the op-codes ahead to determine what actions a sim should do.
Advertising is more used to determine if a sim stop doing something, for example if sim's energy motive is getting very low and the current action is advertising energy gain the sim will continue, otherwise the sim will stop and look for something else.

Thank you, Chris! That's great information. I hadn't seen that anywhere else, so I'll try that.

As for letting them get cold. No. I had them making snow angels in their swimwear until they all turned grey, but they didn't go near the logs. And in fact, once they have snow on them, the logs no longer have actions available. I gave them the giant crate bonfire thing, but they didn't go near that either and even if I light it, it has no warming effect.

I'll try editing to give them comfort.

UPDATE:

Ok, I edited it to max comfort and it worked. They will now light it autonomously. However... you know how in some families, even if the fire is lit and burning well, someone's going to come along and poke it and add more wood and... yeah. Now they won't stop lighting it. So, somehow I've broken the in-use test or something. I also suspect that I've broken whatever makes it burn out. We may have an eternal flame situation here. But, at least, it's an autonomous eternal flame.

Still working on it.

UPDATED UPDATE:

I think it works now. In my game, campers light the fire periodically even if motives are high. Since they are camping, the frequency seems appropriate. Fire burns out as expected. I had changed the BHAV to raise comfort, but wasn't able to get it working properly (I'll research more). I removed the BHAV, so no in-use issue. This file only juggles the advertising.
Instructor
#11 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 11:19 PM
Congratulation !