Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
#5676 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 7:49 PM
Thank you! Mystery solved!

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Advertisement
Inventor
#5677 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 4:59 PM
What are Mysterious Mr. Gnomes for? Like what do you do with them, except maybe collecting?
Hanging with the Gnomies
#5678 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 5:19 PM
@chokolady What do you mean, what are Gnomes for? We are the summit of all being! There is no end to our purpose, plus we are entertaining, too.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Mysterious_Mr._Gnome
Inventor
#5679 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The Gnome
@chokolady What do you mean, what are Gnomes for? We are the summit of all being! There is no end to our purpose, plus we are entertaining, too.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Mysterious_Mr._Gnome

I read that and my question is what I do with you almighty beings except... well collecting you I guess? What other mighty purposes might you have? xD
Site Helper
#5680 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chokolady
What are Mysterious Mr. Gnomes for? Like what do you do with them, except maybe collecting?

It depends on how much imagination you want to invest in that game....
If you don't care about them, then yes, they are only good for collecting or selling. If you name them, watch them, keep track of what they are doing, and even cry if you have Generations and they die of old age, they are almost a Sims game within a Sims game. They can, purely at random, end up in a lot of poses that a tiny bit of imagination will make into a story going on behind the scenes of your regular game.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Inventor
#5681 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
It depends on how much imagination you want to invest in that game....
If you don't care about them, then yes, they are only good for collecting or selling. If you name them, watch them, keep track of what they are doing, and even cry if you have Generations and they die of old age, they are almost a Sims game within a Sims game. They can, purely at random, end up in a lot of poses that a tiny bit of imagination will make into a story going on behind the scenes of your regular game.

Ah I see now
#5682 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 10:42 PM
Where can I find deathfish in Barnacle Bay? There's two graveyards but neither of them has a pond so I can't fish there. Do I have to buy the land and install a pond?
Top Secret Researcher
#5683 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Where can I find deathfish in Barnacle Bay? There's two graveyards but neither of them has a pond so I can't fish there. Do I have to buy the land and install a pond?

From Carl's guide HERE.
Scholar
#5684 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 11:29 AM
Less a stupid and more curiosity question. When putting things into a world, before playing, would you put in nothing but the necessary rabbitholes for jobs/locations? Or go the whole hog and not play until you also have a small/big park, gym, library, etc?
Site Helper
#5685 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 4:15 PM
I would put in everything my test sim was going to need/want, and add the others as the game progresses. I would just make sure there was enough room for everything.

So a bookworm might want a library, but the local (unplayed) athletes are going to be out of luck for a while until I decide to add a gym.

Lab Assistant
#5686 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
Less a stupid and more curiosity question. When putting things into a world, before playing, would you put in nothing but the necessary rabbitholes for jobs/locations? Or go the whole hog and not play until you also have a small/big park, gym, library, etc?

Oh dear. It takes me forever to get to the point of actually playing the game. Step A: Bulldoze everything. Step B: Place the very small number of lots I'm actually satisfied with from the bin. Step C: Build custom everything else. Step D: Customise the lots from the bin, because they are not satisfactory after all. Step E: Create sims and basic origin stories (or I might stop playing the world after all that work...). Step F: Go over the checklist (yep, that's a thing) and add missing lots. Step G: Go over the long list of rabbit holes again to discover one that looks nice, and build a lot for it. Step H: Build a small outdoor gym, even though the town has three gyms at that point. Step I: Create the sim I want to play. Step J: Create more sims, because there are not nearly enough and I don't like reusing. Step K: Actually start playing. Step L: Oh wait, this lot could use some more work. Step M: Game explodes under the weight of customisation, so some lots need to be scrapped and rebuilt. Step N: Fatigue and no playing the game for weeks. Yeah... I should probably try the Nothing is free challenge at some point
Out of curiosity, how do YOU play, CatMuto?

omnis mundi creatura
Lab Assistant
#5687 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 12:46 PM
Is it wise to make a sim and give them only one trait?
Scholar
#5688 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kin.gyo1413
Out of curiosity, how do YOU play, CatMuto?

Well, I prefer custom worlds - I just notice that they DON'T lag as much as regular ones, even if I use the fixed versions. And, lately, I've been redoing the custom Alocasia world over and over and over, putting in rabbitholes and one custom Sim. Then I alter some settings (less cluttered CaS screens, alter Woohooer settings, etc) and then make a family, build them a house, repeat. And when I have about 5 families together (ranging from 1 to 4 sims households), I tend to get bored and start anew... so I have had moments where I redo the same world over and over, but without actually playing.

I'd like to add the dive lots to other custom worlds - and I followed an easy tutorial on how to do it, but I don't know what consists of 'deep' water and the dive lots have the ugly algea stuff poking out from the water...

And I often forget to add Gyms, Libraries or similar before I finish, so I need to rush and put those things in...

Quote: Originally posted by Fulishagirl

I dunno if this is a thing that would be a question of 'wise' to begin with... I mean, I'm sure it works and there's nothing wrong with it. Just that the sim may not have a lot of specific activities...
Site Helper
#5689 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fulishagirl

It kind of depends on the trait. There are some traits (Absent-Minded; I'm looking at you) which are extremely annoying even when they are ameliorated by having other traits in the mix.

Others will simply make your sim more obsessed with things than normal. Activities will generate wants, jobs will generate wants, and EP content will generate wants, so you will have a reasonable supply of them. But, as CatMuto said, they won't have as many abilities that come from a trait as they would if they had more traits. And any wants that were generated by a trait will be generated by the same trait, so you might get tired of seeing them.

Mad Poster
#5690 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 11:17 PM
Ooh, I've got one. What if the only trait you were to give them was Unstable? That means their other traits are subject to change. But there are no other traits, so therefore they must be stable. Paradox?

(loud beeping sounds) Norman...coordinate...
Site Helper
#5691 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 1:16 AM
I needed that laugh! Thanks!

Lab Assistant
#5692 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
I dunno if this is a thing that would be a question of 'wise' to begin with... I mean, I'm sure it works and there's nothing wrong with it. Just that the sim may not have a lot of specific activities...

Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
It kind of depends on the trait. There are some traits (Absent-Minded; I'm looking at you) which are extremely annoying even when they are ameliorated by having other traits in the mix.

Others will simply make your sim more obsessed with things than normal. Activities will generate wants, jobs will generate wants, and EP content will generate wants, so you will have a reasonable supply of them. But, as CatMuto said, they won't have as many abilities that come from a trait as they would if they had more traits. And any wants that were generated by a trait will be generated by the same trait, so you might get tired of seeing them.

Funny, I actually was considering making Absent Minded my sim's only trait (I'm making a touhou sim, Koishi Komeiji, and thought about giving her 1 trait since that's all she has). But if the wants are static and always repeat...guess I should add more then ^^; it's a really stupid question to ask, but I was curious since the game itself can generate sims with 1 trait and people also don't give em' any less. Is Absent Minded a really bad trait? I've had it before, but it never did anything bad for me.

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Ooh, I've got one. What if the only trait you were to give them was Unstable? That means their other traits are subject to change. But there are no other traits, so therefore they must be stable. Paradox?

lol, I wonder if Unstable can generate them traits they don't have in the remaining slots; sounds like an interesting challenge (try to fullfill a LTW while your traits are randomized constantly).
Mad Poster
#5693 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 10:18 PM
Absent Minded can get annoying when you give them something to do and they "forget" before they get there and the action drops from the queue.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Theorist
#5694 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 10:30 PM Last edited by tizerist : 21st Jul 2016 at 10:11 PM.
Here's a question which may or may not be stupid
How comes I sometimes load up a hood and a household will have 'stranger' sims suddenly living in the house? They can't be fully interacted with either...When I move the mouse on them it literally says 'Firstname Lastname (Stranger)'
What mechanism makes this BS happen? I have immigration totally locked down in NRaas SP too. It still happens.
Anyone else got this?

edit: thanks barbarat, I'll try messing around with that and see how it goes.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#5695 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 11:47 PM
The only thing I can offer up is you could have roommate services enabled. Click on a Sim in the Household>Phone>Real Estate & Travel Services>Roommate Services>Enable/Disable.
Top Secret Researcher
#5696 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 5:23 PM
I had that happen... the uninvited sim shows up. I took great delight in murdering the cheeky invaders. Then I felt bad when I saw I had roommates set to on.
Lab Assistant
#5697 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 5:53 PM
I have just noticed, there are six people in my current family, but only for the oldest son (still a child) it says 'Take shower', whereas the others can only 'Shower'... he's a friendly good loner, but is that tied to his traits and if so, which one? What a peculiar quirk to include in the game, anyway.

omnis mundi creatura
Alchemist
#5698 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor

I was curious about this, so I checked and apparently nothing will happen if Unstable is the only trait the Sim has.

Just call me Nikel
Site Helper
#5699 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 5:53 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Unstable affected the Hidden traits and Occult stages?

Edit: I'm glad EA never had that thought!

Top Secret Researcher
#5700 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kin.gyo1413
I have just noticed, there are six people in my current family, but only for the oldest son (still a child) it says 'Take shower', whereas the others can only 'Shower'... he's a friendly good loner, but is that tied to his traits and if so, which one? What a peculiar quirk to include in the game, anyway.

I never noticed this but I will check the next time I'm in game.

My own stupid question: I have been trying to access a tutorial from the old Sims 3 forums. For the last 5 days, every time I click on the bookmark link, I get to see Liam. I am VERY fond of Liam, but enough is enough. Does anyone know if the old TS3 forums will be back online- ever?
Page 228 of 385