Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 11:11 AM
Default Bored with Quests?
Is this happening to anyone? I find myself playing more and more in Free Time mode building up my Sims' skills and relationships that going on actual Quests. I'm at the Imperial Domination Ambition with my same Kingdom from the first one and I'm just doing the necessary quests to annex all the territories. I'm not head over heels about he Ambitions either, I was somehow hoping that unknown and awesome things would get unlocked (I don't know, like real new territories, or buildings) but I modded my game to unlock the Ambitions and the Achievements and there's just some nice new furniture and some outfits, most of which already showed up disabling the clothing filter. I guess I'll port my Kingdom to the next Ambition, just to see if it brings some advantages to my Sims (I like this one where you annex the territories), but it's not like it's a goal I'm looking forward to or anything.

I don't know, I guess I'm just not a competitive person...

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 3:51 PM
I'm bored to tears with the same quests. Bah.

. . . because sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hang onto.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 4:08 PM
And here I am still trying to figure out how to enable cheats. Lulz...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 4:20 PM
I'm tired too. When i discovered that ending one reign means restart from zero witn nothing new to gain i used the cheat "setqp 999,999" to complete the quests in my first kingdom, conquered or allied with other countries, taking my time with my blacksmith to forge (it's the most good heroine of the bunch)
All my heroines reached level 10, and with the blacksmith i managed to forge the beautiful Angels Armor and that tainted sword you find in pieces in the beast pit. Handed them to my knight, used merchant to travel to other countries (place things in the cargo its pain in the ass)
I created a new set of male heros and started a new Kingdom then, but almost instatly i got bored -_-
I think this time Ea guys failed.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 4:42 PM
Yes.

In fact, I haven't touched Medieval in awhile because I'm bored with it.

I need my Sims to AGE, dammit!
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 4:50 PM
Well, I age the children, that's already something, and with "edit in CAS" you can add wrinkles and grey hair to your Sims...

Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 6:59 PM
I think there is something seriously off with the way TSM was designed. I personally like the quests very much; I like the general idea and mechanics behind (though I must admit - they do get seriously repetitive after some time). BUT, I really don't like the way game forces you to do things - play quests, finish ambitions, do this, do that, or you will be punished. Without cheats you can't even play your favorite heroes whenever you want. For a Sims fan being forced to tell a story written by someone else, instead of making my own, is tedious and boring. Hence, I don't get the game design here.
Test Subject
#8 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 7:09 PM
they should at least have a better battle system , and make the quest give stuff like better armor and weapons.. the battle system is almost impossible to contoll because the other sim moves to fast. ALSO! they should realllllyyyy make their be a way to change the size of the rooms , their is hardly any room for my sims to walk and they keep complaining about stuff in their way ><" im pissed i got this game, i dont want to go back to regular sims 3 cause i like medieval settings way better : ( i wish ea would just remake it and give people their money back.. =_='
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 8:17 PM
Well... They are probably working on expansions. At least - I hope they are.
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Apepis
I think there is something seriously off with the way TSM was designed.

Agreed.

I played three kingdom ambitions, back to back, chaining monarchs... all pretty much without having to repeat quests, at least not with the same "approach". That was quite a lot of gameplay hours (more or less three weeks -- includes a lot of time dressing sims, redecorating, picking flowers and so on ), so I don't feel ripped off. I did get sucked in to some of the lil short stories embedded in the quests.

However, by the time I got to kingdom 4, there was no way to avoid repeating, and redecorating to make the world feel "different" wasn't enough anymore.

To me, as a "gamer's gamer" (I play a lot of different kinds of games), what's missing is high-level goals that reward more diverse gameplay. In terms of achieving kingdom ambitions, the only way to really do it is via quest selection. You want renown? Pick the quests that have high RP rewards. Security? Pick quests with high security rewards. Conquer the world? Do the annexation quests. And so on.

On the one hand, that leaves no scope for choosing quests because they look INTERESTING... and on the other hand, making QUEST SELECTION the big strategic choice the player has to make correctly in order to win is asking way, way too little of the player.

Especially since you can't really FAIL a quest (without bugging it out, that is). But the way to maximize querst performance is, counterintuitively... to drag out the quest as long as possible >< Which makes it much harder (and less interesting) with short quests than long ones.

So, yeah. The game is more fun than I expected... but what is actually fun about it has almost nothing to do with the reward structure they gave us :/
Test Subject
#11 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 1:39 AM
Personally at first I liked the quests a bit. I mean after realizing they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. But like many of you the repetition is often pretty tedious. And I don't like how they expand the game over all. Cause it's like you achieve so many goals but it doesn't really show the impact in the Kingdom too much unless you are marrying someone off or something. But I thought there would be more territory exploration as well. But not even close.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 12:45 PM
I was trying to start a new Kingdom, and, no, it's too repetitive. And I like the Kingdom I'm playing, but I get more and more the feeling that EA has sold us a half-baked game. I really like the graphics and the look of the game, but gameplay is nowhere near what it should be. Those who like playing the Sims (like me) will be dissapointed with the lack of real relationships, skills, building and aging. Those who like other types of action/fantasy games will probably find it limited and bland. Who are they trying to market this to, really? Not to mention all the bugs the game has (blue eyes, stuck pregnancies etc.)

Test Subject
#13 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 2:06 PM
I'm getting pretty bored too, I'm not even reading everything anymore. Leveling up my heroes is basically what I like most. That and discovering all the plants and rocks. Yeah, pretty much bored with it :S
Scholar
#14 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 5:32 PM
yes very bored of game
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 5:46 PM
I think they need more user creativity input. Even the painting in the sims 3 could keep a person entertained for awhile with the different types of paintings they can make. For these poor sims, they can only whittle a horse. I've whittled the horse over 200+ per sim. I guess I kept hoping it would end up something other than a horse.
Test Subject
#16 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 6:48 PM
I was in the process of creating a medieval neighborhood in my Sims2 game. I put it off when I heard of the medieval game, while playing the game, I found myself wishing it was more like Sims2, or Sims3. So I'm going back to play them. I never was one who liked doing quest! I play the Oblivion game, but have yet to play out the quests! You have options of doing other things in the game. I tried to go through the list of quest, but I just don't find them fun! I just want to run the village, and make it grow and expand. But the game is to limiting! The houses are a joke! And why does the spy and the knight have more space than the merchant and Physician? Its not easy to have family sims getting around the objects, then you got sim townies coming in and out! And why isn't there any farms, with farm animals!!! If it wasn't for my own imaginative play and using mods, I would have stopped playing a lot sooner! I noticed a file called 'installedworlds', in the game files. This gives me hope that there is more in store for this game. Maybe there will be a actual neighborhood village with larger homes, and more rooms. Hopefully we can build or add homes in it, and shops! I would love to have a bakery! I made my hero's with this in mind, building up their money and skills. And maybe we will be given the options to transfer them into this new world. If EA does have more in store for this game, they better hurry up!!!!
Test Subject
#17 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 9:41 PM Last edited by Fox Maiden : 19th Apr 2011 at 11:09 PM.
I agree as well. I got bored with Sims 3 and havent touched it since. I heard of TSM before it was released and was like OOOH!! And then I buy it and its like some abomination-love-child between Sims and an RPG game. I thought it would be more like Sims but with a mideval twist. Not... this.

Im sorry... why was this comment edited out? It wasnt a request, I was simply musing in my post.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 10:52 PM
Yes, they lend us an unfinished game! There are good things about this game, but also many ugly and annoying ones: the game it's too much restrictive and the "ambitions thing" is very stupid! WHy they've done this instead of a single long-term campaign? You have to use cheat if you wanna see your heroes gaining experience and grow.
Better for EA releasing not a patch only, but an entire expansion totally free (yes, in dreams i know -_-
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 6:11 PM
I speed through the ones I have already completed but if I play a different class that I haven't played the quest with before, I'll take my time There should be more time to enjoy the game without the rush.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 8:29 PM
Yea, i really regret buying this game. I mean, it's a nice idea, but you can't have legacies, you can't control your spouses and children. It is so damn limited. It just looks nice.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 11:51 PM
NEW KICK: Using the Cheats Enabled / Annexing all Territories, (Which enables the Foriegners to show up in your Kingdom.), i SHIFT-RIGHT Click the foreign sim characters, (Enabling you to control them...); Then, i steal anything cool in their Inventories and SHIFT-RIGHT Click my Kingdom Sims to pick up the new stuff at the Forge....
Yes, it's getting ho-hum....doesn't it alway's? ;°))
Test Subject
#22 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 12:39 AM
Well... I am still playing a lot, and still not bored I think the game will keep me interested for some time, probably more than the Sims 3 did.
Maybe the fact that all my heroes have a completely random personality helps in making each kingdom a new experience. Only time I got bored was when I tried playing in "free time" - I needed new, fresh heroes to renew my interest.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 8:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kaliban
Well... I am still playing a lot, and still not bored I think the game will keep me interested for some time, probably more than the Sims 3 did.
Maybe the fact that all my heroes have a completely random personality helps in making each kingdom a new experience. Only time I got bored was when I tried playing in "free time" - I needed new, fresh heroes to renew my interest.

I'm a lot like this too. I really like rolling new characters and coming up with new themes for the different ambitions. Having the different throne rooms really makes a lot of a difference imo. I've had a Viking Kingdom, an Elf Kingdom, a Kingdom with a ditsy Princess type monarch that made all the wrong choices when I quested with her, and I recently set up a kingdom with the evil wizard from one of my other games. In my opinion just one Kingdom wouldn't be enough.

~~like a dirty dog
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 11:27 AM Last edited by Blooplie : 27th Apr 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Default Quests gettihg monotonous
I really like the game, but I have never beeen one to play quests and I am getting frustrated with always having to do that. I wasn't aware you could play in freetime..thats for that tip..
Test Subject
#25 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 3:01 PM
I finished all the ambitions with platinum levels and I'm one level away from completing the Watcher thingy! I did all that actually playing, and I didn't use any mods to unlock my achievements, now I'm stuck with the worst achievements to unlock and I'm seriously loosing interest to complete the whole thing though it's bugging the hell out of me! I already did all the ambitions so my motivation is very, very, very low

I adore the game but it is hard to stay motivated when you have to do everything again and again and again....
Page 1 of 2