Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 6:37 PM
Default CASParts?
OK, I'm confused. While sorting my CC (way too much) I've come across a full 10% of my CC that are clothing, accessories, etc. that have no CASPart in the package. I am assuming that these will not show up in CAS and are certainly not editable in CTU. Any way to fix these or are they OK the way they are? Most of these are from good designers (including some from MTS) so this surprised me.
At this point I've simply removed them to an undisclosed location.

Thanks,
~M~

If you're too busy to laugh; you're too busy.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 8:10 PM
This is... very weird. Perhaps they're default replacements, i.e. custom textures for EA hairs? What resources do they contain? Could you perhaps link to the download page for one, or attach it here? I'm sure there's a perfectly bloody obvious explanation - it just hasn't wandered into my brain yet.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 8:35 PM
I just grabbed the first one that I saw from here. The creator is CmarNYC. Since she is an incredible modder, I certainly don't think she would be sloppy with her work... one of the reasons that I'm confused with this.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=371019

All three files have no CASPart and can't be opened in CTU. Most of the other files that I've found simply have an XML, png, and comp file in the package. I have about 50 of these from ATS3. Some files I've picked up from the exchange and I'm willing to concede that a lot (if not most) of the posters there really don't know what they're doing.

I'll try to track down a few other links.

~M~

Mother Function
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hywminstrel
I just grabbed the first one that I saw from here. The creator is CmarNYC. Since she is an incredible modder, I certainly don't think she would be sloppy with her work... one of the reasons that I'm confused with this.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=371019

All three files have no CASPart and can't be opened in CTU. Most of the other files that I've found simply have an XML, png, and comp file in the package. I have about 50 of these from ATS3. Some files I've picked up from the exchange and I'm willing to concede that a lot (if not most) of the posters there really don't know what they're doing.

I'll try to track down a few other links.

~M~

The Cmar download you linked to is nothing but default replacement meshes...there's no reason to have a caspart file. A .caspart file itself can be thought of as a "placeholder" in Create-A-Sim for a new CC item. Default replacements are not *new* items, so they need no caspart.

Now then, if you've downloaded other files that have no caspart files, are you sure they are CAS content? A door, or a couch will not need it caspart because it has nothing to do with Create-A-Sim.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 8:51 PM
OK. That's kind of what I thought about that file so that clears that one up .

I may have found a common thread to the really odd ones. It seems that they are pack files that I've extracted into packages. Here's an example of that.

http://www.aroundthesims3.com/cloth...casual_03.shtml

The third dress on the page.

Thanks for the help with this.

~M~

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 9:19 PM
That's not a new dress, that's just a CASt style of the EA afBodyDressShortFlared_folds. I love Sandy, but it baffles me when she uploads stuff like that :/ She also has real uploads with new meshes and textures, which are lovely... bah, those crazy French.

For CASt presets, the xml contains the pattern and colour info, the png is presumably the thumbnail, and the comp... don't quote me, but I would assume that that means compositor, or possibly complate. I have no idea what a complate is mind you, but I beat my head against them repeatedly when trying to default replace some patterns.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 10:03 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info . It's been years since I modded for Sims 1 and 2 and I'm trying to get into 3. I'm one of those people who want to know what everything in my files mean ... there's a word for that (anal) but I prefer to be called curious .

I have a major project (for me) in mind and I really want to do things right.

Both of you helped a lot.

Thanks

~M~