Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 10:35 AM
Default Are normal maps working correctly ?
I successfully added a normal map to a top, with the normal map shown leftmost in the attached image. It is saved as DXT5 ARGB, with exactly the same bitmap in RGB and in Alpha channel, then imported in TSRW.

The result (shown in two different angles in the image) doesn't have any raised/sunken look rather than beeing inverted...

Can anybody please explain what I'm missing ?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 11:08 AM
I wrote here a guide for a correct normal map:

http://www.ts3wiki.com/index.php?title=Normal_Map

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 6:41 AM
I was following your guide already, teko, and learnd that I have to copy the greyscale map to the alpha channel too.
Nevertheless the effect in the image above is not what I was expecting =)
Anyway, thanks for your answer...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 7:09 AM
The image attached shows the original afTopShirtTurtleNeck, which comes with a normalmap.
To me there is no 3D detail visible, this looks flat painted.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 9:06 PM
The normal map is usually only rendered ingame.

It matters what greyscale image you copy into the alpha channel. Having generated a normal map in Photoshop you need to copy the Red Channel to the Alpha Channel. And the Green Channel needs to be copied into the Red and Blue Channel. Just as explained on this picture:

http://www.ts3wiki.com/index.php?ti...ap-Channels.jpg

This is quite important otherwise the visual result in the game will be odd.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 6:04 AM
In a greyscale image the three color channels are identically, thats why its grey =) So copying any to the alpha channel should be fine...
I'll check the stuff ingame, maybe CTU's rendering isn't appropriate.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 8:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by theWul
In a greyscale image the three color channels are identically, thats why its grey =)

That is where you are making the mistake. You first need to convert the greyscale image to a normal map, which will make it something in the range of blue/purple, then you have to copy the channels in the right order.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 5:26 PM
Hmmmm....

Maybe I'm terrible wrong, but as far as my understanding of normalmaps goes a simple greyscale image (put in the proper channels) should render the lighter colored areas raised, and the darker colored areas sunken.

For the attached image (the upper left corner is a screenshot from photoshop, all channels shown), the main part shows the ingame rendering with every graphic option set to maxium.

For testing the "4"s are placed in different channels:
The left "4" is in all 3 RGB channels.
The middle "4" is in all 3 RGB channels AND in the alpha channel.
The right "4" is only in the alpha channel.

In my opinion the middle "4" looks ok at first glance, but sadly it has no 3D-effect, zip ZERO NADA 3D.

I really would appreciate if anybody could post an ingame screenshot of a plain clothing (no drawn multiplier or reflection maps) with a noticable 3D-effect.
Screenshots