Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 2:57 AM
TSRW Errors (well THEY won't help me.)
Ok, so here's the easy question.

Where's the help forum for TSRW? I can't seem to find it on their site.
Since I can't seem to get much help from them, I will ask YOU amazingly talented people

I'm trying to replace a multiplier-or a mask or a specular for that reason, that I have created in photoshop, and TSRW won't let me. It gives me the error message:

Error when loading preview.

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Being a total noob, I have absolutely no idea what that means. I will ask my mentors again, but the first time they told me to crop the image so that if there was anything outside the boundaries of the image. I did that, to no avail.
This error may come from the fact that I am doing this project between two computers.

Ideas?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 3:06 AM
TSRW is weird sometimes.... it will crash for no reason at all and give you strange errors, most of the time you didn't do anything wrong, I would love to hear if there is an actual explanation but it's probably just the program being dumb

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 3:12 AM Last edited by clakell : 16th Nov 2010 at 3:56 AM. Reason: update
So does anyone know if i'll eve actually be able to retexture anything? Should I use CTU and not be able to see the outcome?

EDIT: I think i fixed it, if you go into gimp and save as, it works in TSRW. No change in settings or anything. Weird, huh?
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 3:55 AM
its a error because of texture file, also once had it but cant remember wat it was....
Just redo it.

Import a default game texture and past yours on it, layer by layer if you have to.
Export in the correct format with nvidia plugin(with PS that is)

edit,
Keep in mind that the textures are saved in a diffrent format.
Multi is DXT5 interpolated alpha
Mask is DXT1 no alpha or DXT5 with interpolated alpha(depends if its a 3 or 4 recolor outfit)
Spec is DXT1 no alpha
Overlay is DXT5 interpolated alpha
Normalmap is DXT5_NM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 3:57 AM
I didn't have to redo it, but yeah that could have been the problem. I use about four more conversion programs, mostly because I have Photoshop on my Mac, and I have everything else on my PC.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 4:06 AM
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 9:11 AM Last edited by whiterider : 16th Nov 2010 at 9:23 AM.
If you can't see the result in CTU either then it's probably an issue with the texture file itself, not the program(s) - unless you can't see the result because you're on Mac, I forget if the Mono version supports preview or not.

The thing about pixels being "outside the edge of the image" is totally wrong though. You can use any size image you like - if you want a higher detail texture, you can use a larger texture (possibly constrained by the 256-512-1024 etc progression). Make sure the proportions of the texture match the proportions that the map is designed for though, or you'll get distortion.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 1:54 PM
You can use any size you like in TSRW, dont think the error is related to the size of the texture.(it will even automaticly update all others when a diffrent size is used)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 3:24 PM
I did not know about the compressions. I've been saving my speculars with alphas this whole time. I think the problem in CTU is that I can't see anything for that matter, mesh or texture, so I can't tell whether it worked, but it's fine in game.

Anyway, because i'm using Maya for a lot of this (not the texture god no), i'm stuck using 1024*1024 any way. I found that for some reason, if I open the .dds using Gimp on my PC after i've finished it, and then load it into TSRW, it seems to accept it. Something tells me that Aorta or Photoshop leaves some sort of Mac "print" on the textures that TSRW 1.17 can't read. I've heard people with 2.0 don't have this issue, but 2.0 kinda explodes on my machine, so yeah.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 4:59 PM
Just read your post on TSRforum(bloomblurr)

There is indeed the strange error of clothing not loading in TSRW2.0 and hopefully they fixed it with the latest version altho its not only TSRW.

I had these errors with 1.7 and other versions till i installed 2.0 and with 2.0 all worked fine for 2 months.
Then all of a sudden i got the error back........took me a while to figure out wat was causing it.
Till i defragmentated my disks, then it started working again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 2:12 AM Last edited by clakell : 17th Nov 2010 at 3:17 AM. Reason: question/new info
So... TSRW is just sorta unstable some of the time. Is your advice to uninstall all my old versions, defragment my harddisk, and install 2.0.8?

BTW, where is 2.0.8? I can only find 2.0

Edit: it was on the SDK site. 2.0.9, here we come!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 4:16 AM
THANK YOU!!! I defragmented my harddrive: apparently Maya had more than 20 instances...... wow. I ran beta 2.0.9 and IT WORKED!! WHOOPEE!