Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Nov 2015 at 11:11 PM
Default WCIF A Plastic Shrubbery Mod?
I get tired of creating elaborate hedgerows or hanging gardens, only to watch them get overgrown because Sims can't reach them to give the plants a trim... I know there are mods out there that prevent shrubs (and maybe flowers too) from needing tending, but I can't seem to find them!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 12:13 AM
You need Perfect Plants http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0 Or like me you can use Trim and water inaccessible plants. Links can be found on many of my uploads. Or use plastic hedge. I do that as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#3 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 12:39 AM
Simslice has 'Magical hedge shears': http://www.simslice.com/thesims2/ts2objects-pg5.htm (find the item at booty)
windkeeper made plastic hedges: http://www.thesimsresource.com/arti...dges/id/275042/
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 2:17 AM
Ooh, those hedge shears are exactly what I've been looking for, thanks. I took Perfect Plants out because I did want some sims to garden.
Theorist
#5 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 2:36 AM
I used those shears and they make sims obsessive about stalking over to them, even if they're placed on the roof. I'm not exactly sure what the action is they do, just looks like stalk to me. I found it very annoying as they drop queue actions quite often. Trim and water inaccesable plants, mentioned by Joandsarah77 works quite well.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Scholar
#6 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 4:57 AM
How does one download from Simslice? I'm getting authentication errors.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 9:17 AM
It starts with B and ends with ooty. :P

Quote: Originally posted by Duine
I used those shears and they make sims obsessive about stalking over to them, even if they're placed on the roof. I'm not exactly sure what the action is they do, just looks like stalk to me. I found it very annoying as they drop queue actions quite often. Trim and water inaccesable plants, mentioned by Joandsarah77 works quite well.

Hmm, I do have the flower hack, but I also have a few houses with extensive landscaping that even with the ability to garden inaccessible stuff they would require a 24/7 gardener. I'll take a look at the shears and see if there are any behaviours that I can kill.
Scholar
#8 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 1:30 PM
Is the Simslice place safe? I just added their remote control boats but the game time and sim actions glitched a few seconds later. I don't mind removing it but I really liked the sound of those celebrity cones.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 9:38 PM
Not really, but you can''t download from the actual site any longer anyway, even if you pay. As far as I know it's a ghost site. Also a lot of things come with NPC's and might have other side affects. Remote control boats move around your lot= NPC so do not remove those NPC files. Most of the objects are quite old and not all would be compatible with later EP's.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#10 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 10:23 PM
I used maybe 2 of his mods as the npc part is iffy and he does mention that there are 'surprises' in many of his objects. I don't like those kind of surprises. Something also caused a problem with puddles. Not sure if it had to do with the shears or his sprinkler watering object. A cat pee'd in a plant at the front of the house. After that a constant 'water' noise would happen on a regular basis and moving the plant showed a new puddle each time. Also sims could not mop up ordinary puddles, breaking a pipe while digging, for example. Once his objects were removed, the problems stopped.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 11:11 PM Last edited by gazania : 13th Nov 2015 at 10:06 AM.
Yup .... approach Simslice with caution. Many are NPCs in disguise (looks sadly at remote-control penguin download again ... I removed it before I reinstalled, so I should be OK.). Some of the stuff is pretty cool, and some seems to be cool initially, but the novelty wears thin. There is some good material on there, but unfortunately, much of what was cutting-edge in 2007-ish can cause problems (or annoyance) now.

Another option is to use these types of plants. I've downloaded many of these, and use them incessantly. They're not exactly shrubs, though:

http://www.parsimonious.org/furnitu...ant_Garden.html (Well, there are some grasses in there ... do those count?)
http://www.parsimonious.org/furnitu...rld_Garden.html (for fantasy plants)
http://www.parsimonious.org/furnitu...ous_Garden.html (for herb gardens)

It's been awhile since I've put in the Perfect Plants mod (non-orchards ... let those lazy Sims do SOMETHING!), but I'm about 90% sure these flowers and grasses don't get weeds or wilt. Ever. Please try on a test hood and all that stuff. I believe I have even put these indoors (if I can get to my game, I'll check that.)

These plants are so often a fixture in my Sims houses, and have been over the years, that I believe I would be sad if I lost them (good thing for backup games). I started out with just a few, and every time I visit that site, add some more. I should just download them all!

Solo plants tend to be spindly. These plants layer well, though. You can make a nice, thick field of flowers and grasses in no time, just like the pictures on those three pages ... and with no cheats.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#12 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 7:11 AM
Darn, I wish I knew they added NPC files beforehand. Good thing I hadn't removed those boats yet.

Is it still unsafe to remove the files if you test the object on a lot but exit without saving? I think that's what I did.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 8:04 AM
No, Mootilda said the NPC's get added into any neighbourhood that you open, you don't have to place them. When you look at the files are any called npc or controller? She said you can move them into each hoods character folder.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 1:02 PM
I hope the hedge shears are alright. The strange walk and weird actions are deliberate; female sims are actually programmed to do the hula when they view the shears and they all sneak over. Making the actions non autonomous should hopefully fix that.

But there are a ton of BHAVs named simslice something and I'm not sure what they do. There seem to be far too many for just what the shears are supposed to do, but even some of the scripts within the BHAVs are named simslice too and I can't tell what they do. But they do work for trimming the garden, so decisions, decisions ...