Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 9:24 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 7th Feb 2014 at 8:37 PM.
Default The Broke Challenge
I finally got my Sims 2 working again and remembered that the family I had the most fun with were Brandi Broke and her kids. Having played them over and over again I decided I had to try something similar but different and more difficult.

So meet Bianca Broke, a distant cousin of Brandi’s late husband Skip Broke, who just moved to Belladonna Cove with her four kids. Bianca doesn’t mean to be a bad mom, but she really sucks at it. She is totally into romance but always ends up with men and women who are not good for her and leave her eventually. She never finished high school and would have a hard time finding a job if she would actually look for one. Her ex-husband, the father of her two youngest children disappeared and left her in debt so most of the money she gets from social service is used for paying back the debts. They had to sell their small home and move into the trailer park.

Choose your scenario:
(I know there are really a lot, but I thought having a lot of options was a nice idea.)

Easy* (no points)
1 adult, 1 teen, 1 child, 1 toddler

Medium (30 points)
1 adult, 1 teen, 1 child, 2 toddlers

Hard (50 points)
1 pregnant adult, 1 teen, 1 child, 2 toddlers

Harder (70 points)
1 adult, 1 teen, 1 child, 2 toddlers, 1 baby

Insane (120 points)
1 pregnant adult, 1 teen, 1 child, 2 toddlers, 1 baby

Much Easier (minus 120 points)
1 adult, 2 teens, 1 child, 1 toddler

(*I find easy hard enough and I failed with the first toddler, but I’ll try again…)

The Rules:

The family

You need as many Sims as your scenario requires.
They can have any gender you want, even the parent. But be prepared to use cheats more often if your parent is male.
The character of the Sims is up to you too. Make it as interesting as you like.

Parent:
Aspiration: Romance
If you choose a second aspiration you cannot choose family.

Teen:
Aspiration: Family
You can choose any second aspiration you want.

You are only allowed to have one person that has the family aspiration as main aspiration in your household and also only one who has the family aspiration as second aspiration. (So if you choose the option with the second teen only one of them can have the family aspiration. You are free to choose any other aspiration for the second teen.)

Jobs:
The parent is not allowed to work or open a business. They can however earn money with art and crafting.
The teens can get a job and I guess they will have to. But I guess they will not have the time before the toddler learned the three basics.

Caring for the toddlers and children and teens:
The adult is not allowed…
… to cook for her/his children.
… to bathe them, change diapers or feed them.
… to teach them anything or advice them to improve anything.
… to help them with their homework.

The adult is allowed…
… to interact with all of his/her children and even have a great and close relationship with all of them.
… to take toddlers in and out of their cribs. (I decided to allow this because without this my teen would have gone crazy. Feel free to forbid your adult to do it and give yourself 40 bonus points. You can also let the toddlers sleep in the beds for animals, but then you do not get the bonus points.)

It will be up to the teen to care for the toddlers and children.

Babies:
The adult can and should take care of babies.

The apartment:
the biggest trailer on the trailer lot

The furniture:
beds for everyone
kitchen table and three chairs
1 potty for toddlers
the three toys with which the toddlers can learn mechanics, creativity and charisma
the table and the oven for children
a bookshelf
a phone
a radio

Use a cheat to reduce your money to 3000§ or buy expensive stuff that you put into your inventory and never use again.

More babies:
Your parent should try to get to know at least a person per week and then try to improve the relationship until there is the option to try for a baby. Whenever your adult wants to woohoo you have to try for a baby. If you prefer to go steady and have only one partner it is fine too, but since you have a romance sim this may not be the best idea. You have to try for a baby once a week unless your adult is already pregnant.
If your Sim is bisexual he/she has to try for a baby with both genders. Homosexual Sims have to try for a baby with their own gender. You can either use a mod or you can throw a dice and use a cheat to get your Sim pregnant.
If you have a single dad you can also use the dice method and combine it with alien pregnancy.
If you don’t like using cheats and don’t want alien babies and you want a single dad you may move in a Sim for reproduction, but then you have to keep the Sim and the rules for the parent also have to be followed by this Sim. Money the Sim brings into the household cannot be used except for a bed for the new Sim. The second adult is not allowed to care for babies. (Since this Sim is also not allowed to work keep in mind that it will be difficult for your romance Sim to fulfill his/her wishes.)

Dice method: If you throw a dice you have to impregnate your sim if you get an odd number.

The flat:
The biggest trailer on the trailer park lot.

Cleaning the house:
The parent will not be allowed to do any household tasks.
The adult may repair stuff, but only once a week and only if it is something he/she actually uses.

You can only visit community lots once a week for no more than twelve hours. Only one person is allowed to leave at a time so choose wisely.

You can have a roommate if you think you have the space. You can have a new roommate whenever you like.

Game over:
A child is taken away by social service.
A toddler fails to learn speaking, walking or using the potty.
Someone from the family dies.

You can however still count your points!

Penalties:
Every time one of your adults children doesn’t grow up well you lose 15 points.
For every college dropout you lose 15 points.
Every day without a toddler or a baby in the house you lose 5 points.
You lose 10 points if a baby, child or teen does not grow up fine.
You lose 30 points if your teen gets an F, but only once per teen.

1 point for every skill point of every original or born member of the family.
10 points for a toddler that grows up fine.
5 points for a child that grows up fine.
5 points for every teen that grows up fine or goes to college.
35 points for every child that finishes college.
25 points for every child that grows into an adult and moves out.
10 points for every baby born to your original adult sim.
5 points for every baby that grows up fine.

How does the challenge end?

As soon as your parent is five days away from becoming an elder you can stop reproducing. You will no longer lose points when there is no toddler or baby in the family. Every child born before has to be treated according to the rules. Should you get any new kids the rules don’t apply to them anymore. The parent can interact with them any way you like.
You may also use the Elixir of life (but you cannot use it earlier!) to keep your adult an adult. It’s totally up to you. But every kid born before this has to grow up and move out or on to college to finish this challenge.
When the last of the kids born before has moved out/finished college you get 100 additional points for completing the challenge.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 1:08 AM
Excuse me, but is there any rule about aspiration rewards?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 8:02 AM
Only about the Elixir of Life. You cannot use it before your adult is five days away of becoming and elder, which determines when the last phase of the challenge begins.

I also forget about cheats, sorry. Cheats are not allowed unless the challenge requires it. (Getting Sim pregnant and so on.)

You can use any mods as long as they don't give you an unfair advantage.
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 9:03 AM Last edited by quix : 1st Sep 2010 at 9:06 AM. Reason: typo
Whoo! This challenge was right up my alley! My Family Sims never seem to care once the kids are born, it's just back to wooing the spouse and leaving it up to the teen anyway. First things first, points (8 children, challenge stopped when one died in adulthood, post mother-as-elder):

319 = 1 point for every skill point of every original or born member of the family (avg 34/).
8x10 points for a toddler that grows up fine.
7x5 points for a child that grows up fine.
6x5 points for every teen that grows up fine or goes to college.
(n/a) 0x35 points for every child that finishes college.
6x25 points for every child that grows into an adult and moves out.
8x10 points for every baby born to your original adult sim.
8x5 points for every baby that grows up fine.
= 734 points

What was anyone else's score? I can't tell what range is supposed to be 'good'.

I guess I never had a problem with the growing-ups because teens are usually looking after the kids anyway. Once they had to get jobs, though, it got tough! I think I'll try again sometime with an increased difficulty scenario, if only so the next generation isn't stuck with just cousins; they need to marry too!

I have the Traditional Marriage mod on; I used the last name Buckless, decided I hated it after, and so after the first boy (who was forced into having all girls), the other sons were gay or single, so now the name can die out. Their partners can be the ones to call the adoption agency.

In the end, Bianca Buckless had 8 children (David, Rosanna, Jeannie, Jerry, Noel, Derek, Leanne, Robin), the last an hour before "5 days before Elder" ended. The oldest, long-suffering David, had to look after 3 toddlers before he could grow up and move out. Didn't stop him from becoming an overachiever, though. Jerry, the fourth kid, looked after 1 and got a few toddler goals in for the next. Noel, #5, got the last few toddler goal for Leanne (#7), but brother Derek (#6) had to look after last baby Robin as a toddler.

I'm playing in Sims Life Stories (I realise it's not optimal, but I have a netbook). That means I'm only *supposed* to have 4 Sims on the lot at once - I coud only create 4 in CAS - so I had to reenact the drama of Bianca getting pregnant by the Headmaster and getting caught by Chet, making Chet die of fright, on lot. Then, I accelerated that pregnancy and aged up baby Jeannie as soon as she came out to get the Easy scenario in place.

Bianca's BFs with all her kids except David (#1). He got Furious about her cheating and she's still in the negative with him.

Other than one 'surprise' pregnancy that slipped by me before my week was up, giving two more of the children the same father, I usually had to induce pregnancy for her. I made sure she got more action than just her conceptions, though, and with different Sims at that. Alas, only one of the babies was fathered by an already-married Sim. But he was an elder! Bianca was 63 days old when there were no more toddlers or babies in the house. She has 7 grandchildren so far (not all her children have started their families yet).

Anyway, I had a great time with this challenge; it does a good job of building dynasties and it makes them suffer, just the way I like it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 7:25 PM Last edited by Solanacea : 3rd Sep 2010 at 12:26 PM.
Wow, that sounds great!
I'm going to try again soon, I wanted to start yesterday, but my game keeps crashing and I guess it will take me a while to figure out what's wrong.

Edit: Found problem thanks to mts. Corrupted neighborhoods. Perfect time for starting with all new neighborhoods and this challenge.

Meet the Broke Family: mother Bianca, teenage daughter Bridget, son Kyle and little Linda.

Bianca is a very outgoing libra and totally into painting. Beside her romance aspiration she has pleasure as second aspiration. Here goal in life is to woohoo with 20 Sims.
Bridget is very shy scorpio, she cares a lot about her family and proper education. (Family/Knowledge) She wants to lead a quite different life than her mother and reach the golden anniversary.
Kyle is the only really neat Sim in the family (a virgo), he adores his little sister.
But Linda, the youngest, a outgoing leo does not really like her brother that much at the moment.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 9:29 AM
oh i like challenges like this....i will consider it!
Scholar
#7 Old 25th Jan 2011 at 9:03 PM
I may try this sounds like crazy insane fun...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 1:48 AM Last edited by Solanacea : 29th Apr 2014 at 2:58 AM.
After years of not playing Sims 2 I played again but got bored after a while. Then I remembered the challenge. For reasons I don't know any more I went for Hard.
So now I have Bianca who is pregnant and sick and tired all the time. Teenage son Dorian who has no social contact to the outside world except for his work. After 2 days of caring for the toddlers Corinne and Teddy he is totally exhausted, still I got him a job. I got the family a roommate, Bruce, who comes in quite handy. I had Tiffany (the child) ask him to help him with her homework.
By now no toddler has learned walking, using the potty or talking, but they have a few points in creativity and mechanics.
Everyone suffers and I feel like I torture the poor Sims. To help Dorian get back on track I fulfilled his wish and adopted a cat. It's called Cymmi and I already regret dragging the poor kitten into this mess. Dorian wanted to get her in after no one managed to get her in the whole morning but collapsed. His sister Tiffany went to the playground and saw him lying on the ground and started crying. Since Dorian was promoted he has to work twice today. After about half an hour sleep I sent him to work because... well I don't know. I'm quite certain, that I will be game over as soon as the toddlers grow into childs.
Oh and without the nanny which I will not be able to afford after Monday when the next rent is due it would be an even bigger desaster. I'm glad the second nanny proofs to be far more useful. The first one only wanted to feed the totally tired toddlers all the time. And then she peed herself and left the mess for Tiffany to clean.

Update:
I realized I forgot about the aging mod I use. I caught it in time so I'm officially game over but thanks to the mod the poor toddlers still have time to grow up properly.
In the end I used the community lot hours get Bianca to eat enough, she refused to take part in any possible fun activity so she still is in reds... But Bruce, the roommate, was sweet, he just gave her a hug. It helped a little. Also: Bianca thinks Don Goth is one of the most attractive men in Pleasantview. Corinne passed out on the floor - again - Teddy uses the cats bed. Half of the family stinks. Dorian suffers. Tiffany is quite alright, she's now chatting with Bruce, she even brought two friends home during the challenge and she is lucky because she really enjoys the playground. Oh and Bianca has nightmares all the time... The neighbours hate the Brokes. The used the doorbell all the time and woke the family all the time. I just hope it gets better for them now the challenge is over.
I just called them a butler, they really deserve a break. The baby is coming soon.

The points...
+ 50 for Hard
- 10 since Teddy didn't grow up fine (Corinne is in Platin since she enjoys gaining skill points so much.)
+ 10 for Corinne who did grow up fine
+ 1 (Cooking Skill of Bianca)
+ 3 (Body Skill of Tiffany - yay playground)
+ 5 (Corinne's 1 mechanical, 3 logic and 1 creativity points)
+ 4 (Teddy's 3 logic and 1 creativity points)

63 Points