Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 6:26 PM Last edited by xPennyxTallyx : 21st Jul 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Default The Infected [A Zombie Apocalypse Challenge]
The Infected.

A zombie apocalypse challenge inspired by Roseward by Nigalkins. The world is recommended for this challenge but feel free to make your own or adapt another.

Mods (Recommended, Not necessary)

Nraas Vector (it's a disease mod, it includes a zombie virus)
More Dangerous Zombies by DrHouse93 (Does as it says on the tin!)

Aim: To survive as long aspossible

Getting Started

You'll need to make a Scavenger, a Home-maker and a Builder. The Scavenger will be the only sim allowed to leave the lot, the Home-maker will be the one who tends the garden, looks after any kids/seniors (if you make any) etc... The builder sim will be the one who does the repairs and 'builds' your sims items from the scrap metal.

You can make multiple of each sim but a Home-maker sim cannot become a Scavenger or a Builder or Vice Versa.

You start with a $1000 to spend on tents, sleeping bags and backpacks. If you have any money left after buying those things you can spend the last on household items. However if you leave Build/Buy mode during this period your sims have to go without.

Playing

Scavenger

Your scavenger does exactly what his name means he goes out into the big world and scavenges for supplies and avoids the Infected.

It's recommended that you make two of this kind of sim, as if another sim or an infected is in the same area as the Scavenger he has a 50% chance of being killed. You can use a randomiser, flip a coin or roll dice to decide which outcome happens.

Roseward has numerous scrap piles in the destroyed building where your Scavenger will look for supplies. For other worlds your Scavenger will be rummaging through the junkyard and trashcans .The amount of scrap your Scavenger finds will limit what your builder can make, however to unlock an item the scrap you scavenged must be sold/deleted. The scrap is the equivalent to simoleons now.

Home-maker

Your Home-maker will never leave the lot. He will plant the seeds found, care for other sims and take care of the house.

Builder

Your Builder is the 'I-can-build-anything' man as long as you get him the plans. This is the sim that does any and all repair work in the house. The Builder is also responsible for 'building' items like toilets, fridges and showers.

However for this sim to be able to do this, the Scavenger sim needs to find enough scrap metal to unlock the plans and to build it.

Unlocking Items for the Household

These totals are all for one Single Item. For multiple items times the amount you want by the building total.

Kitchen/Dining

Living

Plumbing

Bedroom

Animals

Outdoors

Lights

Misc

"Fear is only in our minds. But it takes over all the time."
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 6:28 PM
Any Questions?

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 8:35 PM
this challenge looks cool, and I like how it's not unlock this skill level to unlock this.... it's more realistic. but I don't have all the ep for that world so I haft to go find another really cool one then i'll try it out

delivered by my carrier pigeon, Jim Geom.
Test Subject
#4 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:03 AM Last edited by louderthanwales : 18th Oct 2014 at 6:24 AM. Reason: didn't cover all I wanted to and didn't want to double post
You're speaking my language here. Totally game for this. Would it be okay if I posted my progress in the forums somewhere?

e d i t ;; More questions! Yaaay.
1 . In order for our builder to "build", do we sell the scrap and then go into buy/build mode? Kind of a stupid question but a question nonetheless.
2 . How much are walls, grills, and recreational stuff like chess tables and such?
3 . Are we allowed to sell the starter cameras for a bit of extra moolah?
4 . Are any other money-making skills such as writing or social networking feasible based on the environment? Or would that be up to the player?

Thanks again for an awesome challenge, I'm having a great time with it so far.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by louderthanwales
You're speaking my language here. Totally game for this. Would it be okay if I posted my progress in the forums somewhere?

e d i t ;; More questions! Yaaay.
1 . In order for our builder to "build", do we sell the scrap and then go into buy/build mode? Kind of a stupid question but a question nonetheless.
2 . How much are walls, grills, and recreational stuff like chess tables and such?
3 . Are we allowed to sell the starter cameras for a bit of extra moolah?
4 . Are any other money-making skills such as writing or social networking feasible based on the environment? Or would that be up to the player?

Thanks again for an awesome challenge, I'm having a great time with it so far.

Post anywhere you want, just send me a link. I love checking out the stories created through my challenge.

1. Once you've built an object the scrap is 'used' so yes you have to sell it, that way you cant cheat and use the same scrap for other items (Like I would xD)
2. They've not yet been added, however they will be soon. Except for walls you can have them for free, pretend you've 'found' a shelter.
3. Yes, you can. How you earn money isn't really important, you can sell the other things the scavenger collects or you can paint, write etc...
4. While I imagine in the middle of a zombie apocalypse both books and phones would be useless, you can earn money that way.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xPennyxTallyx
Post anywhere you want, just send me a link. I love checking out the stories created through my challenge.

1. Once you've built an object the scrap is 'used' so yes you have to sell it, that way you cant cheat and use the same scrap for other items (Like I would xD)
2. They've not yet been added, however they will be soon. Except for walls you can have them for free, pretend you've 'found' a shelter.
3. Yes, you can. How you earn money isn't really important, you can sell the other things the scavenger collects or you can paint, write etc...
4. While I imagine in the middle of a zombie apocalypse both books and phones would be useless, you can earn money that way.

Glad I stumbled upon this challenge. I'm half-way through the second generation of the Zombie Apocalypse challenge by cannibalcupcake using suggestions and modifications from Marie's Sims. It's been challenging and a lot of fun, but I'm thinking of starting another save in which I abandon my original survivors (their compound gets overrun) and start over with some fresh sims. I'm playing in Roseward, as well, using Burnt Waffles Dystopian Lighting Mod and I love, love, love it!

You mentioned in point 2 that walls would be free as a "found" shelter. I'm guessing since Roseward has plenty of empty, dilapidated houses that sims could seek shelter, i.e. buy, one of those than use the rest of their money for sleeping bags, tents, firepit, etc? Any excess money could then be cheated away.

My other idea would be to implement some sort of bartering system with other survivors using the consignment store. Using a cash register would look out of place, however there's a mod somewhere that allows sims to sell anything in the consignment store. I suppose they could sell scrap and use earned money to buy more supplies, furniture, etc.? Anyway, just a thought.

Can't wait to try out your challenge!

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. ~ Katharine Hepburn
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by YesPlease
You mentioned in point 2 that walls would be free as a "found" shelter. I'm guessing since Roseward has plenty of empty, dilapidated houses that sims could seek shelter, i.e. buy, one of those than use the rest of their money for sleeping bags, tents, firepit, etc? Any excess money could then be cheated away.

My other idea would be to implement some sort of bartering system with other survivors using the consignment store. Using a cash register would look out of place, however there's a mod somewhere that allows sims to sell anything in the consignment store. I suppose they could sell scrap and use earned money to buy more supplies, furniture, etc.? Anyway, just a thought.

Can't wait to try out your challenge!

Yes and If you'd want to barter feel free.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 2:46 PM
New Items Added. Any items wanted?

Nothing too electrical like TV's though. It is the apocalypse.

Test Subject
#9 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 5:40 PM
Love this challenge, and I downloaded the mods I might play it in future
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RinaStarr
Love this challenge, and I downloaded the mods I might play it in future

Thank you

Test Subject
#11 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 11:32 AM
I thought I'd try this challenge - but with a few modifications because I don't have supernatural & don't play with occult characters at all. Any sim I see on the map I use the nraas cheat and give them face paint (there's only a few so far as its an empty world). The town has been taken over by sinister clowns. I'm using the same rules tho - if a clown gets near my scavenger he has a 50% chance of dying.

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions.
1 Does carrying a death flower save your scavenger from death? (If you then delete the death flower from the inventory)
2 What about salvageable items at the junk yard? Can you take them home and have the builder 'repair' them for the cost of building one without the need for buying plans? Or should we just detonate them?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eviljennius
I thought I'd try this challenge - but with a few modifications because I don't have supernatural & don't play with occult characters at all. Any sim I see on the map I use the nraas cheat and give them face paint (there's only a few so far as its an empty world). The town has been taken over by sinister clowns. I'm using the same rules tho - if a clown gets near my scavenger he has a 50% chance of dying.

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions.
1 Does carrying a death flower save your scavenger from death? (If you then delete the death flower from the inventory)
2 What about salvageable items at the junk yard? Can you take them home and have the builder 'repair' them for the cost of building one without the need for buying plans? Or should we just detonate them?

1. No, it won't.
2. Sure but you can only do that once per type of item. For the second one you would need to get the plans to build.

Test Subject
#13 Old 1st Jan 2015 at 8:57 PM
I think I'm going to try this one! I mean, I'll probably make a family to try and keep alive, but I think it'll be fun <3
Test Subject
#14 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 5:25 AM Last edited by arhamaryan : 4th Jan 2016 at 8:06 AM.
This seems like a very interesting way of playing The Sims 3! I'll try it.

#15 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 4:05 PM
I'm planning on editing this guys. Have I missed any household items that should be added?

Test Subject
#16 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 10:40 PM
Wait wait, I don't know how you build something??
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 2:43 PM
@StefTheKoala

You don't actually build the items, you need to unlock the plans so you have the items available for sims, then you need the scrap as an additional fee on top of the simoleons to purchase the item. E.g. For the fire pit your scavenger would need 50 pieces of scrap to unlock the item, then the scavenger would need to find another 80 pieces so it can be 'built' (Read: so you can buy it for your sims).

It's just for a bit of realism because in the apocalypse you can't exactly go out and buy those things you would have to figure out how to build them and to it makes up the challenge.

Does that help?

Test Subject
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 3:28 PM
Yes, thank you! This is actually one of the good and fun challenges.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StefTheKoala
Yes, thank you! This is actually one of the good and fun challenges.

Thank you, I do try.

Field Researcher
#20 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 4:12 AM
So trying this so excited!!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 3rd Apr 2016 at 8:44 PM
I'm currently trying to work out how to convert this challenge to the sims 4. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it