Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 12:03 PM
Default Recolors
Is there a way to have a hacked object pick up the recolors from which it was cloned? Thanks.

Just a regular person
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 12:20 PM
Yes, there is. Are you talking about a hacked object that looks exactly like the original but just has hacked features?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 12:31 PM
Yes, a stove. I tried to recolor it myself, but my 4 year old granddaughter could have done better!

Just a regular person
Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 12:46 PM
Which stove is this? I mean the Maxis original, which one?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 12:56 PM
Sorry. I want to have Christianlove's stove pick up the recolors from the original if possible.

Just a regular person
Part-time Hermit
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 1:06 PM
Where is this stove available? And which Maxis stove is it cloned from?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 1:10 PM
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=62777
It's the all in one. It is cloned from the mondo fuego gas stove. I appreciate you trying to help me.

Just a regular person
Part-time Hermit
#8 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 4:42 PM
Sorry for the delay, I'm having some computer problems at the moment and my SimPE will not work. If you can wait for a day or two, I will hopefully be back to this thread with more information on what to do next after I get my new harddrive up and running .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 9:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Sorry for the delay, I'm having some computer problems at the moment and my SimPE will not work. If you can wait for a day or two, I will hopefully be back to this thread with more information on what to do next after I get my new harddrive up and running .

I appreciate yout help. I hope all goes well with your computer. I know how frustating that can be. I'll be here. Thanks.

Just a regular person
Part-time Hermit
#10 Old 5th Apr 2006 at 9:55 PM
OK, I'm back.

First, you need to know what's the CRES name of the original Maxis stove that you will link your object to. You can find it out, by cloning the stove and unchecking all the cloning options, then opening Resource Node, and the cObjectGraphNode tab under the Content tab. The name you need to refer to is the one in the filename box, just without the _cres extension. For this particular stove, the name is stoveModerate.

Then you will need to find out the Material Definitions to refer to. Open Shape, and the Parts tab under the Content tab. You should see three lines listed: Three subsets with their own Material Definitions. When you click on each, the name in the Material Definition File box is the one you have to copy over to respective subsets in the Shape (the one with untagged0 in the name) of the hacked object you're editing.

Then open the hacked stove package, open the Shape (the one with untagged0 in the name), and the Parts tab. Click on the stovemoderate_glass on the list, and copy and paste stovemoderate_glass into the Material Definition File field, then Commit. Then click on materials on the list, and into its Material Definition File field, copy and paste stovemoderate_materials_white_clean. Commit.

Then click on Geometric Node of the hacked stove package and select the file with tslocator in the name. Click on the cObjectGraphNode tab and click Add under the title Datalist Extension Reference. Then click on the new line that appears on the list, then in the Index filed change the last 0 to a 5, and in the Enabled field change the last 0 to a 1. Then click Commit. Then click on the Edit Blocks tab, from the dropdown list find (cDataListExtension), select it, then click Add, and Commit. Then click on the Content tab, and the cObjectGraphNode tab, then from the dropdown Blocklist select your new entry, and into the Name field, type tsMaterialsMeshName and Commit. Then from the dropdown list on the bottom right select String, and click Add. Then click on the new line in the Items box, into the Name field type materials and into the String field the CRES name we figured out earlier, stoveModerate, and click Commit. Then select String from the dropdown list again, and again click Add. Then click on the new line and into the Name field enter stovemoderate_glass, and into the String field again the same stoveModerate. Commit.

I'm not sure if this is completely necessary, but, just in case, go to Tools -> Object Tools -> Fix Integrity. In the window that pops up, just click OK. Then Save the package. Replace the old one in your Downloads folder with this one (make sure you don't have both versions in the game at the same time).

If the recolors still don't show up, let me know and we may have to do some further editing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 1:06 AM Last edited by nancyw41 : 7th Apr 2006 at 11:14 AM.
This is a wonderful tutorial! However, no one has ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer. It took 4 tries, but I finally got it! I can't thank you enough. I may just have to try other things now. Thank you so much.

Can the same be followed for other items (i.e. cathair's hacked dresser)?

Just a regular person
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 11:47 AM Last edited by nancyw41 : 8th Apr 2006 at 1:14 PM.
Well, I thought it worked. The colors show up om the catalog, but when I place them, only the original shows up. Thank you for all your help. It was just something I would have liked to have. I appreciate the time you put into this.

Just a regular person
Part-time Hermit
#13 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 12:23 PM
Are you giving up? Please, don't! Can you upload your package here as an attachment so that I could take a look?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 1:17 PM
I don't want to take up so much of your time. You have been so patient and helpful. I am trying to learn, but it's just so complicated! If you do't mind, could I pm you the package? I would not feel right about attaching someone else's creation. Again, thank you.

Just a regular person
Part-time Hermit
#15 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 2:47 PM
My "job" here is to help with objects, so don't worry about taking up my time . I would be disappointed to have helped you so far but not get the desired result. You can email me at ignorant.bliss#@gmail.com (remove the #) with the object.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 7:23 PM
It works beautifully now! Thank you so much. I have wanted this for a long time but was afraid to ask. Your kindness and generosity is greatly appreciated.

Just a regular person