Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 2:08 PM
Default Setting professions for NPCs
I've been playing around with testing chats enabled, and the one thing I really wanted to do was make townies into heroes since I'm fond of many of them and you can't save them in CAS.

What happens is that when I shift-click the townie and chose 'set profession,' the townie completely changes appearance. At first I figured the game was just changing them into class-appropriate clothes, but their facial structures, hair colour and body shape all change. Oddly enough their traits stay the same, though.

Is there any way to at least replicate the appearance of an npc, or is it just impossible?

~~like a dirty dog
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by delonariel
I've been playing around with testing chats enabled, and the one thing I really wanted to do was make townies into heroes since I'm fond of many of them and you can't save them in CAS.

What happens is that when I shift-click the townie and chose 'set profession,' the townie completely changes appearance. At first I figured the game was just changing them into class-appropriate clothes, but their facial structures, hair colour and body shape all change. Oddly enough their traits stay the same, though.

Is there any way to at least replicate the appearance of an npc, or is it just impossible?

Delonariel - You CAN save your NPCs. I've saved several of mine for the same reason you want to save yours - I've grown very fond of them! Use these instructions by alexpilgrim found here (post #5). If you want to save your heros' children (or any child for that matter), be sure you edit them in CAS first to grow them up before giving them a profession. Otherwise you end up with "crabmen!" (See post #6 in referenced thread).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mflaha55
Delonariel - You CAN save your NPCs. I've saved several of mine for the same reason you want to save yours - I've grown very fond of them! Use these instructions by alexpilgrim found here (post #5). If you want to save your heros' children (or any child for that matter), be sure you edit them in CAS first to grow them up before giving them a profession. Otherwise you end up with "crabmen!" (See post #6 in referenced thread).

Haha, funny thing is I was trying to follow those exact instructions! The problem is that I can't get through step one without them becoming completely unrecognizable

~~like a dirty dog
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 8:33 PM
Haha, funny thing is I was trying to follow those exact instructions! The problem is that I can't get through step one without them becoming completely unrecognizable

Yes, they lose sim kid pudding face, but multiple children from one sim do not look all like, even with the same father.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pooklaroux
Yes, they lose sim kid pudding face, but multiple children from one sim do not look all like, even with the same father.

I'm not trying to age up kids though, just use the same steps mflaha55 suggested without the 'aging up' part.

~~like a dirty dog
Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 9:35 PM
I'm not trying to age up kids though, just use the same steps mflaha55 suggested without the 'aging up' part.

delonariel, you MUST age the children up in CAS or they will not save correctly. You'll always get the deformed look if you try to save them as children. Keep in mind that the professions are for adult sims, so the outfits are for adult bodies. If you don't age up your child in CAS first, the game will try to place the adult outfit on the child's framework, hence the distortion. You will actually be saving the adult sim, not the child, as TSM deals with adult Heros and not children.

Remember that when you save a sim using alexpilgrim's instructions, you're actually saving a carry over monarch for the next ambition's kingdom. When you save the sim, you'll see a folder called "CO" in your "Saves" folder. This is the carry over folder and the .sim file in it is your saved (adult) sim. Copy this file and place it in your Saved Sims folder. You can rename the file with the sim's name for clarity. The CO folder only holds ONE .sim file at a time, so if you're planning on saving more of your sims, you'll see a message asking if you want to remove that file. Click "Yes." BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SAVED A COPY OF THE .SIM FILE TO THE SAVED SIMS FOLDER or you'll lose your sim. As alexpilgrim's instructions note, if you DO want to carry a sim over to the next ambition's kingdom, save a copy of the original alpha-numeric .sim file. You'll need to place that file in the CO folder to use that sim as your next monarch. You can also save NPCs using these instructions, but you do not have to age them up in CAS first - unless they're a NPC child.
Test Subject
#7 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 1:57 AM

I don't know anything about saving NPCs, but I'm using the awesome Dynamic Professions mod to turn townies into heroes and it's working perfectly, they retain their appearance unlike the testingcheatsenabled command
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 6:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happyopi
I don't know anything about saving NPCs, but I'm using the awesome Dynamic Professions mod to turn townies into heroes and it's working perfectly, they retain their appearance unlike the testingcheatsenabled command

Thank you! This just solved all my problems

~~like a dirty dog