Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 11:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Stuttering and FPS drops on a brand new save in the fixed world.
Hi guys,

I purchased The Sims 3 alongside the expansion packs a few months back after I built my PC. My PC is a pretty beefy setup, and The Sims 3 didn't support my GPU - so I added it manually and made it so it was classed as an Uber card (R9 290...)

However, I am having various issues with the game. Firstly let me go over how I play:

- I run the game through RadeonPro to limit the framerate, this is because The Sims 3 has been developed absolutely awfully and is not optimized at all. The game tax's the GPU at 100% ALL THE TIME if you don't limit your FPS, so seriously - do it if you don't want a friend $500 GPU. I have tried without the FPS limit, absolutely no difference.

Heres the important parts of my DeviceConfig log.

=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3400 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 4134 RAM: 8063 Adjusted RAM: 7551 Cores: 4
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Family: 6
Model: 12
Cores: 4
HT: 0
x64: 0
Memory: 8063MB
Free memory: 4064MB
User: Jake
Computer: TOASTER_V2
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Name (database): AMD Radeon R9 200 Series [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 67b1, Board: 04701043, Chipset: 0000
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1299, GUID: D7B71EE2-24F1-11CF-E076-7A24BEC2C535
Driver version: 1299
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

Right, so the issues I am having are:

- textures are not loading / taking a stupidly long amount of time to load
- Stuttering constantly, clicking on a Sim to complete an action takes a few noticeable seconds for the wheel to appear
- Moving the camera around is just awful
- Horrible screen tearing, I don't even know what I can do to fix that
- Game just feels very BLOATY and slow.
- Pop-in is DREAAADFUL. Trees flickering and other textures ** ** **

The main issue that is breaking the experience completely is the textures, constant stutter and moving the camera about.

Now, it is saying I only have 32MB on texture memory in the DeviceLog, why? I have tried to "hack" it by manually changing the GraphicsRules.sgr file to force 2048MB (I have 4GB card, I just thought it'd be easier with 2GBs) -- It just doesn't seem to be utilizing my GPU memory which is why I think I am having so many issues.

** ** ** This fixes itself when I "hack" the GraphicsRules file as I mentioned above, however then textures never seem to load past their awful 2bit display?

So please, can anyone help? I have video evidence from the last time I tried to fix this and gave up. Before you say it's my build, I have replaced pretty much every component in my rig since this was recorded, and the same problem(s) persist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzsKnb7geI

The build:

- ASUS R9 290
- Intel i5 4670k
- 8GB RAM clocked at 1866Mhz
- SSD Drive

I have tried the following:

- Install NRAAS, waited until 3AM - no difference whatsoever
- Installed the fixed routing map for Isla Paradiso, playing there - no difference
- Made sure (even though its impossible due to fresh install) I have NO Custom Content
- Completely hacked the GraphicsRules file to make it ALWAYS Uber my GPU
- Patched to 1.67
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 4:28 AM
I just came back a few weeks ago, after a 2 1/2 yr break from the Sims. Been playing around in Isla Paradiso, and have found a number of issues & fixes. One thing I'd try is moving the sims Rubisel Ichtaca and Akoni Kahale out of their dockside homes and into regular housing. Then bulldoze their old homes and the lots. The Medina home has routing problems because of the big square pillars outside, remove them in build mode(cheats may be needed). If this helps, you can make a savegame like this prior to playing...for future use. There are some other things, but I'd start here, because it causes horrible stuttering, whether you're using the Fixed World or not.

Btw, which Nraas mod(s) are you running?

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PoisonFrog
I just came back a few weeks ago, after a 2 1/2 yr break from the Sims. Been playing around in Isla Paradiso, and have found a number of issues & fixes. One thing I'd try is moving the sims Rubisel Ichtaca and Akoni Kahale out of their dockside homes and into regular housing. Then bulldoze their old homes and the lots. The Medina home has routing problems because of the big square pillars outside, remove them in build mode(cheats may be needed). If this helps, you can make a savegame like this prior to playing...for future use. There are some other things, but I'd start here, because it causes horrible stuttering, whether you're using the Fixed World or not.

Btw, which Nraas mod(s) are you running?

Hey dude,

Tried various different maps and they all have the same stuttering so its not map specific.

Like I'd expect it to work with a fresh save, even paused, they game stutters like a bitch.

The texture memory stuff is definitely linked to the issue, it overrides at 32MB so that is all it has to load and use for textures - that's a huge issue itself and I can't fix it

I have NRAAS Overwatch only, the one that removes junk at 3am
Field Researcher
#4 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrJake
Hey dude,

Tried various different maps and they all have the same stuttering so its not map specific.

Like I'd expect it to work with a fresh save, even paused, they game stutters like a bitch.

The texture memory stuff is definitely linked to the issue, it overrides at 32MB so that is all it has to load and use for textures - that's a huge issue itself and I can't fix it

I have NRAAS Overwatch only, the one that removes junk at 3am

So you didn't move the sims, and repair the Medina lot? You're going to have massive stuttering until you do. Isla Paradisio has extensive routing problems...I've pointed out a few of the worst ones. There are more.

You also need to be running Nraas Error Trap, and Register. The Overwatch alarm should be set somewhere around 5-6:00 pm, not the 3:00 am default. Traffic tapers off around 6:00 pm, so you have vehicle stockpiles from 6:00 pm until 3:00 am unless you change it. It doesn't hurt to use the immediate cleanup option occasionally, either.

In Register, you should disable tourists and all pets, under animal control. Wild animals are supposed to be disabled in Isla Paradisio, but sometimes they spawn anyway(may be caused by another mod) which results in more routing problems, regardless of the ingame settings. Error trap will fix your remaining unroutable sims, albeit slowly and give you notifications of problematic sims...if they are recurring, you should relocate them. Also, those dock/houseboat lots have inherent routing issues, that's why I bulldoze them when they're problematic.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PoisonFrog
So you didn't move the sims, and repair the Medina lot? You're going to have massive stuttering until you do. Isla Paradisio has extensive routing problems...I've pointed out a few of the worst ones. There are more.

You also need to be running Nraas Error Trap, and Register. The Overwatch alarm should be set somewhere around 5-6:00 pm, not the 3:00 am default. Traffic tapers off around 6:00 pm, so you have vehicle stockpiles from 6:00 pm until 3:00 am unless you change it. It doesn't hurt to use the immediate cleanup option occasionally, either.

In Register, you should disable tourists and all pets, under animal control. Wild animals are supposed to be disabled in Isla Paradisio, but sometimes they spawn anyway(may be caused by another mod) which results in more routing problems, regardless of the ingame settings. Error trap will fix your remaining unroutable sims, albeit slowly and give you notifications of problematic sims...if they are recurring, you should relocate them. Also, those dock/houseboat lots have inherent routing issues, that's why I bulldoze them when they're problematic.

I am not even using the Isla map anymore, the issue is apparent on any map I attempt to use. I am almost certain the issue is the texture memory allocation being bugged out at 32MB.

I have also set Overwatch to fire at 5pm, still no notable improvements.

Can you tell me what Error Trap does? Thanks!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 9:10 PM
Error trap is a core mod that fixes errors in the game and gives you notification of what errors are occurring(it will dump reports into your Sims 3 folder in Documents, also).

It does sound like you're having issues beyond the norm. Even my lame old core-duo machine does okay on a fresh game without much help.
I'm not familiar with ATI graphics...haven't used them in years. I use a tool called Nvidia inspector to get more precise adjustment of my card's parameters. Perhaps they make a similar tool for ATI...

Google

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Field Researcher
#7 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 11:39 PM
About your texture probs...32 is the default setting in the sgr. Hacking to 2048 seems excessive, maybe try 128 or 256? Also, part of what you're seeing is the textures changing resolution when you move the camera or load an area. This is especially noticeable on a freshly loaded save...kind of a multiple reloading of various textures. Sims 3 uses mipmaps to house the different resolution texture images(10 resolutions, iirc). Setting your 'High Detail Lots' to 8 in Options should help some, by requiring less reloading, if it's not already set there.

You're always going to have some issues with Sims 3, though, due to bad coding...I'm not a programmer, but you don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 1:20 AM
I don't think I can really help but it seems that the issue is with the super duper Graphics Card? Did you have to classify it as an Ubercard? Could that be it?

Have you tried with an older one that is normally supported just to narrow down the issue?

Any issues with other games?

It's possible that maybe a hardware forum in general might be able to help better with people who have used this card. It's brand new right?