Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 1:07 AM
2 things.

1. I hope you feel better.

2. Thanks for posting this, I was at the store and nearly picked some of their brown sugar up, I found a different brand, but now I'll know to steer clear of Splenda.

Edit: Like the Menu Foods disaster, I smell a possible lawsuit.
Advertisement
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#52 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 1:13 AM
Allergies are nothing to sue over and no reason to avoid something. If you hear of someone being allergic to strawberries or peanuts, are you going to avoid them too? That seems a little silly.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 7:48 AM
My mother is deathly allergic to aspartame (AKA Nutrasweet and Equal). It literally puts her into anaphylactic shock if she accidentally eats it. Which is very, very easy to do. It's in almost all chewing gums, anything that says reduced calorie, a LOT of beverages. We've found her passed out on the floor within minutes of having anything with aspartame in it. She has the same reaction to soy protein, which is in just about everything. (even some brands of "pure" chicken!)

Does this mean no one should use these things? Probably not. I can have all the soy I want and not get sick, hate the taste of aspartame though.

I personally have a bad reaction to shellfish. I just have to be aware of my allergy and watch out for it MYSELF. It's not the FDA's job to guard me against my allergies. Though a note on the label would be nice, I've noticed a lot of labels saying "processed on equipment that also processes tree nuts" or a bold note stating that it contains milk, eggs, wheat, corn, soy, whatever. (all common allergens)

Splenda is the only artificial sweetener that doesn't make me gag from the aftertaste. LOL If you've reacted to it, watch for "sucralose" on the labels...that's the product's non-branded name.
Page 3 of 3