Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 12:16 AM
Default Starting Over Need good advice for keeping C drive in the blue
I finally got tired of C drive always being in the red, with 2 gigs or so left when I have 50 gigs available of space, so I finally, grudgingly decided to do a system recovery. What are some good ideas that I can follow, so I won't have to always do these horrible system recoveries. Is there something you can do so that the computer doesn't eat up all available memory on windows vista? I had all this stuff (don't know what it was) clogging up my PC, maybe I did something wrong to begin with. I know that the sims games, and CC sometimes takes up a lot of memory, but I've had every EP and SP minus holiday stuff on my computer with tons of CC before, and I still had it in the blue even then, so I know that must not be what it is. Could it be that I had two browsers on my computer ( IE and Firefox)? I just need some good tips on how to effectivley, consistantly save memory on my C drive so I won't have to go through another system recovery again.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 12:45 AM
You seem to be confusing RAM with HDD space.. a lot of what you're saying isn't exactly making sense.. I *think* you mean you fill up a 50GB hard drive quickly? No idea why you decided you needed to do.. a system restore maybe? Or if you have some function built onto the hdd that allows you to reset back to day 1? All that did was delete all your saved files and programs. You could have done that without the drastic OS reset. There's no special science to it. If you fill it up, you will either have to delete things on the drive or buy a larger drive. 50GB is very small anymore if you plan on running lots of programs. It's not unsurprising it fills up fast.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 12:55 AM
If you need to free up hard drive space, here are a few things to try:
  • Get TreeSize, scan your C drive. It'll show you where the bulk of your HD space is getting used up, so you can easily track down big files that need to be compressed or deleted.
  • Go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. Delete the lot of it. It'll fill back up, but not too quickly. Do the same with C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp, if it's there.
  • If you have any big, rarely used files on your HD - collections of old photos, music you don't listen to, etc - compress them with WinRAR, maximum compression, then delete the originals. If there's stuff you don't use and probably never will; delete it, be brutal.
  • Uninstall any programs you don't use any more.
  • Empty the Recycle Bin

Some of these are quite small things... but then your hard drive is quite small, too. Once you've got 15% free space, defrag the drive, to improve read/write speed.

And yeah, as Calli says, a system restore won't do squat.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.