Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 10:13 PM
[tech] MATD - BaseTexture & MapTexture
Can anyone give me a hint what the difference between the

stdMatBaseTexture...
and
stdMatNormalMapTexture...

entries in the MATD file is?

As far as I know, the first one (stdMatBaseTextureName) is the name of the used texture, found in TextureImage

but what about the normalMaps?

Any insight would be appreciated!

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 12:30 AM
The stdMatBaseTexture is the texture that shows up on the model. The one you make - that you see in the Plugin View in SimPe. I've not found the normal map in objects yet so I'm assuming you've looked at a skin. The normal map is kind of like a bump map that when done well, shows deeper (darker) areas or higher (lighter) areas. It's kind of an overlay over the texture.

Kind of hard to explain. I hope that made sense to you.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 10:20 AM
Thanks for replying, fairywitch, that makes sense. :o)

And yes, I found it used in an object, it is the "On A Pedestal" sculpture, but since one of the two meshes used in this object (the statue itself) is similar to a bodymesh, a bumpmap is not really a surprise.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.