Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The other one
Original Poster
#176 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 5:44 PM
Right, clearly there has been some confusion here. This is my fault for not being clear about my intentions/contest rules. For that I sincerely apologise. Some of you have been given advice and the opportunity to change your entry before the deadline while others have not/will not be given the same opportunity. I know this is unfair but even if you did get the rest of the advice it probably wouldn’t give you enough time to make any changes that you would assume you need to make (though personally, I don’t think there is a need for everyone to run around changing everything. As LaughingtoLeave said, go with your instincts. The only way I can think to “fix” this situation is to remove wicked_poppies from the judging line-up this week (she’ll be fine for other weeks though). She can still give feedback (after the round closes) the same as the EJs but will not contribute toward your final score and therefore comments that have been posted will not affect your score. This way nobody has ”inside tips” from a participating judge.

I realise this isn’t ideal and sorry to wicked_poppies if I confused you but does anyone have any major issues with this solution....or better ideas?

Edit: Would also just like to give thumbs up to wicked for proving that she is an honest and thorough judge, even if she is a bit premature We'll be lucky to have you in future rounds.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Advertisement
The other one
Original Poster
#177 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 5:46 PM
On to the less dramatic stuff:
Quote: Originally posted by traelia
ME WANT MOAR APPLICANTS!!
And sim abuse! Muaaahahahahah.
Is there any applicant max number for this?

I seem to remember thinking that there was a limit of 20 but I didn’t see a reference to that in the rules, might have to have another look....or maybe I’m just remembering a host imposed limit from another contest :/

Quote: Originally posted by kaylarox
I don't want eliminated though

Since there was a lot of interest in being judges I ended up making myself an EJ rather than a full judge (though as host I still have some say in what’s happening ) and because of that I thought I’d give the judges the opportunity to decide if they felt they could handle more contestants or if they felt eliminations would be beneficial...So far I have 3 out of 5 responses, still waiting for 2 judges to get back to us and currently the results are ...inconclusive, lol. We’re currently at one judge saying yes, one saying no and the third saying yes but only if we reach a certain number. So wait out on that one.

Quote: Originally posted by kaylarox
Ummmm I am SURE it does not say TEXT HAS TO BE ON PICTURE but I am not sure.??
Kayla and Wicked, sorry, I could’ve been clearer about this maybe but Kayla is correct. Images have to be titled but just plain text above or below the image (ie doesn’t have to be on the pic) is fine. It’s really just so there’s no confusion over what work you’re presenting. If you choose to add it to the pic then great, it may boost your overall points because of presentation but it’s not necessary and you can still achieve good presentation without it.

To those who updated, good job, hope you didn’t stress about it too much though.

Will post the new judging line-up as soon as I’ve confirmed which EJ will take wicked’s place.

The other one
Original Poster
#178 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 6:21 PM
Oh, and just to clarify: The round closes when I say it does! (which will be the time/date listed above in the title or as close to as RL events allow). I will make a seperate post to say that it is closed. It will be very clear in big letters

Also, as discussed with ngluvjj on page 3, I will be posting the 2nd round tonight (16 hours before the application round closes) so that everyone has the chance to see it before the big shutdown. That's the only reason I'm posting it early. Normally rounds will only get posted after the current one has closed. It should go up around 2100PDT. At that time or before I will also be sending the judges their judging guidlines.

Phew, it's been a busy, stressful morning, lol

Lab Assistant
#179 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 6:28 PM
It's morning there?? I'm just about to go to sleep after posting my 2nd pic

My girl was in MAKE ME A MODEL! contest by missroxor

check out my facebook rp account and my tumblr for pictures
The other one
Original Poster
#180 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 6:47 PM
lol, yep, it's after 1030am. Where's your other pic gone?

Lab Assistant
#181 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 6:53 PM
I take it off, I got another idea that could be better

Sim Princess in Pink
#182 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 8:12 PM
How long in hours until this contest closes for Applicants...I've only just seen it and would love to join.

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Forum Resident
#183 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 8:13 PM
Keira it's like exactly 24 hours now.

Facebook! | Find more of my stuff at my blog! | Tumblr | Donate
Sim Princess in Pink
#184 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 8:14 PM

Oh good, I have time then shall get to it now!

Sim Princess in Pink
#185 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 8:16 PM

Oh, also - how does one move the Sims in the Sims 3 to other positions once the pose is in place?! I think I tried TS2 way once before with no luck (move_objects on) or something like that..

Test Subject
#186 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 8:19 PM
The "moveobjects on" worked for me just without the underscore in between the two words...

One bright day in the middle of the night...
An apple a day will keep anyone away, if thrown hard enough.
Sim Princess in Pink
#187 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alissaya
The "moveobjects on" worked for me just without the underscore in between the two words...

Ok thank you very much

Lab Assistant
#188 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 8:26 PM
@keiralou try this tutorial it will answer all ur picture taking problems :lovestruc

Lab Assistant
#189 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wicked_poppies
I realy like your new first pic, but I though your original pic for a mans world was great!!!! anywho.... and isnt the first round over now guys? Cause some of you say you still plan on changing things about your sims.....

Aww thanks - I wanted to change my model and thought I'd do something different - I may yet recreate the mans world one one as the rebel one needs improving if Ii have time tomorrow before the deadline

Quote: Originally posted by missroxor

nhayes1Wow, did you change everything? Nice job but must've taken ages! In my mind the definition of “full body shot” wasn’t so much that “we must see every inch of your sim from their head to their feetz” just that it should be a zoomed out shot showing a large proportion of your sim with some room for background stuff, unlike the headshots which in my mind should really just be above shoulders shot to show the head/face/hair clearly.
EDIT: Though I won't be judging this round I don't personally have an issue with how much of your sim can be seeen but the one with the motorbike might be a little controversial just because the sim is almost hiding behind the bike entirely :/

Yeah I had some time on my hands and I've missed messing around with sims and pics so just thought I'd try a new gal and see what I could do now I have the OMSPs figured out

I've just found some bike poses so I may have time to make her more visible

Check out my sims blog - Monkeys with Technology
My pixels@SU

The other one
Original Poster
#190 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 9:05 PM
KeiraLou, we'll be glad to have you For future reference the deadline link on the front page takes you to a countdown timer with the exact hours and minutes etc. I'll be doing one of those for every round once each new round is open.

nhayes It's not really a big deal I don't think. Like I said, I personally wouldn't be too fussed about it but since you asked I was just sayin I can't really speak for the other judges

Forum Resident
#191 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 9:10 PM
Well, seeing as I stuck with my 'first instict' and now KeiraLou is joining, I think we all should give up.
I'm kidding. I can do this! My Antea is pretty!

Anyway, since this is my first time entering a contest I'm going to be chill about it and just enjoy it.

@traelia, thanks for that '24 hours', I kind of suck with other time zones lol
Lab Assistant
#192 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 9:22 PM
@laughingtoleave : I kinda thinking the same thing, now keiralou joins, there are traelia, sisaly, nhayes17, kaylarox, and many2 more who are a famous sim maker including u. And here I am, experience : 1 month playing, first contest. what should I do?

Forum Resident
#193 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 9:33 PM
Oh no no no, the only thing I have is experience in playing, which I'll admit; I've been playing Sims games since 2000th, since the first game. So yeah, but I have never, ever, EVER had photoshop even installed on my computer, let alone actually used it.
And this is my first contest, too. The only thing I have on you is bunch of identical in-game born sims in 'Pictures' section.

But we can do it! Hey, never underestimate a noob!
The other one
Original Poster
#194 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 10:16 PM
laughingtoleave I love your positive, can-do attitude

Quote: Originally posted by laughingtoleave
I'm going to be chill about it and just enjoy it

This is what I really hope people get from this contest. Sure it has had/will have it's stressful moments, especially close to deadlines but at the end of the day I wrote the template because I enjoyed doing it and I thought hosting would be fun too (it's more work than I thought but still fun, lol) and want people who join to do it because it's fun. There's a lot of different abilities competing here and at the end of it all only one person can win but as the old saying says, it's the taking part that counts.

ngluvjj you're being way too harsh on yourself, your sims are beautiful, far better than anything I could make myself. Take a leaf out of laughingtoleave's book and try to forget about whether or not anyone else is better or worse than you and take time to enjoy working with/on your sim and sets.

Lab Assistant
#195 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 10:21 PM
This is my first contest too, and that sim was actually the first one I created without using EA templates, because I usually don't care if my sims are drop-dead gorgeous/oh my gosh kill me ugly since I'm eventually going to drown them/burn them/starve them/ etc..
Lab Assistant
#196 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 10:39 PM
lol shadowgirl

For those of you entering your first contest, just try not to stress too much, you are all doing great and your girls are really pretty, my first contest entry was terrible but I thought it rocked lol it's only by entering and hearing the feedback and learning from those more experienced you that you improve. After a few contests you will look back at your first pics and see how much you have improved, everyone starts somewhere and for a first contest you are doing brilliantly

ngluvjj - aww thank you, I'm hardly a famous sim creator but you are sweet, if you have only been playing a month you are doing amazingly well - your girl is adorable, just enjoy the experience and learn all you can. Contest are about having fun creating gorgeous pictures more than winning, so we are all winners.. right?

Just make sure your model is the main focus of the pic and have fun, some advice I got From Nextor_Torres and Aussie that I found really useful when i first started is to pose your model first then build the set round the shot, so get your girl posed and in place and then take a test shot and fill the space of that frame with the backdrop content - build your set around the shot and the model. It really turned things round for me as Ii used to spend ages set building to finding half of it wasn't in the final shot, that and get your lighting right

Check out my sims blog - Monkeys with Technology
My pixels@SU

Field Researcher
#197 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 10:41 PM
For those who are new to contests you should definitely use it as a learning experience. Learn from those who have been doing this for years. In the first contest I did I knew I wouldn't win - my objective was to improve my score in every round. If your score isn't what you hoped don't give up. Any criticism is purely constructive and it doesn't mean your effort is worse than another - just that we're helping you to make your next entry even better :-)
Forum Resident
#198 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 10:52 PM
Lol also - since when was a famous sim maker??? hahaha too cute Angie.

I have never seen this much good competition in a sim contest in a while. Was a bit over whelming. But I am not going to change anything. As I think it is unfair on those who did not get feel back and because I am just going to have fun with it. I decided this last night when I was trying to recreate 1999 one. Nothing inspired me to change, and for one I freaken love that pose - I dance EVERYWHERE. what else is she ment to dance like.??? size step maybe?? hahaha.

But the fact is. I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS, NO ONE CAN TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME!!!

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Sim Princess in Pink
#199 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 11:07 PM Last edited by KeiraLou : 23rd Jun 2011 at 6:26 PM.
Default Application Round
Headshot

My name is Emily Winters. People at school used to call me Ice Queen, mainly because of how pale I am, not because of my last name. I'm currently studying for an apprenticeship in Law, but I have a out-of-hours passion for modelling. I love to spend time with my two best friends, Sindy and Clara and I have a wonderful boyfriend who is studying at the same University as me. I hope to go far in this competition, although I also remember it is all a bit of fun at the same time. Emily x

Barbie Girl

The Show Must Go On

Sim Princess in Pink
#200 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 11:14 PM
I just read some of your comments, please don't be silly! I was looking through ALL of your entries and they all inspired me to do this as I loved them all very much! It's all fun, I enjoy contests as they are a time killer when doing each application and round.

Good luck to you all!

Page 8 of 23