Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#76 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 12:33 AM
Default Change is always a good thing
I've only been here for a few months but I like that this place is everchanging and doesn't stagnate. I agree with the removal of the stars, there is too much room for hurt feelings and as stated they were not always used in a productive manner, I mean we're not in a schoolyard here. The thanks posts were always appreciated but then I would feel obligated to respond taking up even more space so that too is a very good idea. All in all I'd rate the changes ..five stars, oh and thank you.

I'm eleven hundred and twenty-years-old, jus' gimme' a frikkin' beer!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#77 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 1:14 AM
I think it's good idea! Some people rate out of unfairness or false reasons. I never minded the rates, it never matter what was rated. But, I think now it may actually be good, it's gone! :lovestruc

Life is random - expect the unexpected!
Sims 3 Creations
Scholar
#78 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 2:27 AM
Ok, I read through the rest of the posts in this thread, but I don't think this was anywhere.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=200444

I accidentally clicked "Post Thanks" on my thread above, and I wanted it to be a comment thread, so I deleted it, not knowing that I could edit it to become a normal one, but the real reason was because it added me into the Users that have thanked me for my thread. I don't think this was supposed to happen was it? It just doesn't seem right
Alchemist
#79 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 3:15 AM
Delphy, Can you make a thank post button dissapear for creators so creators don't thank themselves by mistake like zookini did? Like we can't rate for our own stuff in our own threads before.

Update: July 2009-I am back now to make invisible and tranparent recolors again in sims 2. You can pm me if you want your objects to be invisible and transparent from now.
Field Researcher
#80 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 4:02 AM
Yes I had the same error and I delete the thanks but my name appear equally in the list of thanks of one of my uploads, yes for the creatos the button must dissapear, I'm agree with pfish because is a error so easy to do.

See you
Mad Poster
#81 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 4:10 AM
In my thinking:

The dl number can be caused by factors like;
1. how users were impressed by the advertisement, basically the same as a commercial product.
2. how users expect from the creator(s)
3. how appropriately usable to the users, but as we know, there're some users who only dl the ones they want while some just everything, or those intermediate users. This can also depend on how users know how to use the dl(s).
4. how certain styles are regarded as attractive to the public. So, different styles can have different amount of users dependent on the mutual tastes for certin aspects... That can vary a lot. Generalisations may be possible, but unnecessarily reliable.
5. how availably exposed to the public. The dl is labelled as "featured" or refered somewhere popular, etc...
6. how much users wanna try the dl out
7. etc...

Potential causes of error:
1. Someone can just download their own or other dls to boost the number or for other reasons...!
2. Someone just want anything.
3. Someone may just want or get something without downloading.

The view number can be caused by factors like;

1. how users were impressed by the advertisement, basically the same as a commercial product.
3. how appropriately usable to the users, BUT probably more people may view the dl just because of the advertisement or the work but not because they're gonna dl or use the dls. So, the want to dl may not be a factor for viewing the dl(s).
4. how certain styles are regarded as attractive to the public. So, different styles can have different amount of users dependent on the mutual tastes for certin aspects... That can vary a lot. Generalisations may be possible, but unnecessarily reliable.
5. how availably exposed to the public. The dl is labelled as "featured" or refered somewhere popular, etc...
6. etc...

1. Someone curious only.
2. Someone just want anything.

The thank number can be caused by factors like;
2. how users expect from the dl(s)
3. how appropriately usable to the users, BUT this can also depend on how users know how to use the dl(s).
6. how useful the dls are after uses? Lol, differentt users have different manners when it comes to when to click a thank button. Some just click thank out of the facctors 1, 2, 4.
7. etc...

1. Someone can be just generous.
2. users can be forgetful.

The star rating can be caused by factors like;
3. how appropriately usable to the users, BUT probably more people may view the dl just because of the advertisement or the work but not because they're gonna dl or use the dls. So, the want to dl may not be a factor for viewing the dl(s).
5. how viewers agree with the skills, the resultant dl, the creator, the style(s), 6. etc...

1. Someone can be just generous.
2. Someone can be just "mean", "jealous" or similar.

Thus, every way to judge a dl can have their own bias(es). With more indicators, it seems the confidency can be higher. There're few patient analysts and so as patient "error"-makers (But, hey, being subjective is unnecesarily wrong coz that's what the certain viewers may be just honest about their true feelings...)... So, more or less, it doesn't matter if there're many rating systems. Adding more or dropping more won't change users who know what want.

Yet, I like to compare dl numbers with the view numbers for my own threads to estimate dl probabilities. Certain factors can be cancelled out, yet there're some different causes still widen the range of error. Also, I count the time courses as well. I know the way I do it may not be the best way, but I'm comfortable with this way of estimation.
The thank number can be an additional indicators.
But if I know who thanks, then, I may know more infos, yet I dislike a possibility that there's a pressure to give out thanks dependent on people relationship. So, more or less, it doesn't matter to me only if it's about rating. But as I see it more importantly, less can be an advantage to save resources for the site, especially the bandwidth.
Thus, I'm glad to see the star rating is gone for goods.
Test Subject
#82 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 6:19 AM
MTS2 is not one of the best free Sims 2 sites on the planet

It is THE Best free Sims 2 site on the planet
Mad Poster
#83 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 6:36 AM Last edited by patul : 2nd Nov 2006 at 6:49 AM. Reason: ...tin jsuis pas anglais
You miss something Niol, the friendly vote/thanks and the uploader notoriety !
If the creator is Nengi65, Jonesi, V1ND1CARE or Niol , the dwld page will be more seen, and more thanked/rated than the IamAbeginner upload. You can add some people who thanks the moderators not because the job but because they are modos, perhaps they espect their next upload will be easily approved ?
For the friendly vote, it is just human ! You are lenient with your buddy ! But I dont think it impact too much the result.

I think downloading, thanking and rating are false pblems, they can help the choice but they are only a general criter, ex : if i need an orange, green and blue t-shirt... I download it without seeing the rating criters even if I am the 10th in 6 month. If I need nothing, just to see, perhaps I download a well rated or featured object/lot/sim/mod/hair...

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#84 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 8:05 AM Last edited by niol : 2nd Nov 2006 at 10:04 AM.
patul,

Lol, you're right about the other things... :red face:
But, parts of them are relative... You just kicked at some of my daily cynical biases. :D

By the way, I'm self-studying some statistics, and I guess I'm kinda stuck in the mind!

That's true I get into your profile purposely to see if any new creations you've shared... and so as I check out others in this way.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#85 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 10:19 AM
I accidentally clicked Thanks instead of Feedback when posting to one thread. Is there a way to change it?
Mad Poster
#86 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 10:51 AM
Just edit and save your post Inge

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#87 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 11:36 AM
I did try that, but I couldn't see the relevant buttons any more. Or are you saying that turns it into a normal one automatically?
Mad Poster
#88 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 11:42 AM Last edited by patul : 2nd Nov 2006 at 11:43 AM. Reason: you see....
Yes, Inge it is a thing to be fixed for non english-speaking people like me ! :D

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Test Subject
#89 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 1:30 PM
Thank you for all the hard work you do for us downloaders!
Forum Resident
#90 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 2:13 PM
What can I say? Your improvements rock, Delphy!
Test Subject
#91 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 2:22 PM
Thank you for changing up the Thanks & Rating System. I hope the changes work out! :D
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#92 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 5:48 PM
Nessy,

With regards to "losing" the ratings as a choice for downloading, let me explain why, given the past system here on MTS2, thats a flawed viewpoint.

I mentioned that 90+% of all rated threads where above an average rating of 4 stars - a large majority of that 90% was, in fact, rated 5 stars (due to the rounding factor anything with 4.5 or above is rounded to 5). So, you basically then have only 2 choices - 4 or 5, with the vast majority at 5 stars. How does this give a "choice"?

There was barely anything below 4, so the "choices" where then limited. In other words, if you did use the rating as a choice factor then everything with 5 stars would be the same quality, the same work put in, and the same general greatnees. Obviously that's not the case at all - there are always some creators whoa re inherantly better than others. Should they get the same rating as something thats perhaps broken, but is still rated 5 anyway just becuase it might "look cool"?

I agree about giving downloaders choices and ways to see whether an item is good or not - but I stand by the fact that the quality of the item itself, the time and effort put into the actual post message, and the feedback from members is by far and away more valuable than a 2 star rating system.

pfish / zookini / everybody else:

Yes I know about the thanking yourself issue, and the turning things into thanks posts one - I'll be fixing them when I get a chance to (been really busy with other stuff lately).

Thanks to everybody else for the comments.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#93 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 7:39 PM
I just have one word to say: Brilliant.

Lilaviel: the avid downloader

"Life Drawing: An Excuse to See Naked People"
Field Researcher
#94 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 8:45 PM
Yes in this part I'm agree with you Delphy, I think that the bad part of rating was this, and one part of me is thinking that never must be the rating system. But another I think that for know the quality of creations can't compare with downloads, because the downloads and thanks aren't comparables between them.

I want trust in the new system, and I trust in the website, for me was important the stars for value my work, but if is really that all people had 5 or 4 stars, then don't like me, because then I can think that my rating isn't truth, this is a point positevely to the new system. I trust in you Delphy.

See you
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 11:07 PM
It is a shame that the star ratings couldn't work, but I did notice that EVERY upload was getting maximum stars. Obviously not all of the downloads available are "trophy material" but there wasn't any rules on how to make the judgement. If you ever decide to bring back the rating system, perhaps you could have several categories such as
image quality (poor - realistic)
originality (seen it before - cool idea - what a genius!)
accuracy of description (left me wondering - answered all my questions - left no stone unturned)
usefulness to gameplay (take it or leave it - I can't live without it!)

Each category could have 5 possible stars, then after you submit, they are all averaged out to a single score. I think this would make the ratings more accurate, especially if everyone would maybe wait about a week after they download the thing and actually test it before they rate something.

Anyway, I totally understand why you opted to remove the rating system from the website, but if you ever wanted to bring it back, maybe you could only offer it to members who have reached a certain level on the message boards... maybe "test subject" or "lab assistant" and above?

Just had to add my two simoleans to the discussion. Thanks for all your hard work on the website! You guys are the best!
~Amy~

If it weren't for ADD I'd be forgetful, lazy, absentminded, clumsy, always late, disorganized, messy, and annoying.................for no apparant reason.
Instructor
#96 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 11:45 PM
Oops. I have just seen the changes. It is true that I feel like thanking people with quick replies when I like an object. My english is not good enough to make a proper feedback but I find the changed very good
Field Researcher
#97 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 3:44 AM
I'm agree with you Amy. I think that the rating must go classificated with every category a level of quality, but this rating make it the site by exemple. This can make that the people work hard in the uploads, because without rating I think that the people down the level. I don't know is only a thought. But well I miss the stars but I can survive I'll continue uploading and the only thing that really is important to me is that the people enjoy it with my creations and all creations or the site like I enjoy them.

See you
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 5:13 PM Last edited by amycapdet : 3rd Nov 2006 at 6:42 PM. Reason: mispelling of 'think'
I think this is one of the best improvements ever seen here at mts2. Actually I've got some contradictory statistics myself -high rated uploaded items showing a poor amount of downloads or thanking or, on the contrary, low or not rated at all items with a higher percentage of downloading. I think this is a more fair system.

Dont' forget to press the Thanks button. Thanks!

Sims2Good Cloudy seaside mood

Don't include my content (in lots, sims...) but to MTS2, including a link to my thread.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 8:18 AM
Aw but Delphy this already is the best sims 2 downloads site in the world. This does make the saying thanks option a lot easier. Thank you for the changes. ^_^
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 11:32 AM
Yup, the rating was kind of pointless, since when browsing through MTS2, almost all threads were highly rated!

BTW: The first time I noticed that there are no ratings left on the site, I thought it was glitched. The silly old me...
Page 4 of 6