Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 1:41 AM Last edited by Sims3FlareShow : 8th Sep 2019 at 1:52 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims don't keep any changes
So I have maybe the worst glitch on the planet and I'm not sure what to do about it.
I did test this without CC, and it still happened, so I'm thinking my game is cursed or something.

Here's the rundown:
My sims don't retain ANYTHING that happens to them when leaving the game and returning. Whether it's going to neighbourhood mode, exiting the game, crashing, anything, my sims lose job progress, regain family friends that they lost, reset back to the age they were when this started, lose all the memories made. They reset back to what they were when this started--I have a baby that aged up to a toddler, I saved and exited, returned, and he was a baby again, (assumedly) back at 0 since I couldn't age him up. My sims can't plan their outfits. I plan their outfit, they spin to change, and it's the same. When my baby aged up to a toddler I tried to change his appearance and there were no clothing options or hair or anything. As I said I've tried this with mods/CC, without, nothing changes. I am at a complete loss about what to do, and I have no idea what caused it. I thought it was some broken CC or mod but testing vanilla turned up no answers

EDIT: I didn't test this out on vanilla but travelling to Londoste in Downtown brings me to the lot, but I'm immediately put in build mode and have to return to my household via the map. My sims spawned back with their car, which was now a different colour and in a different parking spot than it always is. I don't know if it's just that lot or what, but a park lot in the home neighbourhood did not cause this glitch.

Anyone else unable to read?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 3:41 PM
Hi Sims3FlareShow,

Try to see if you don't have two folders of the same neighborhood in \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ or \Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2\ folders. Having two folders of the same neighborhood can cause to game to not save changes of sims, as it's loading and saving the same files, but from two sources.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
Hi Sims3FlareShow,

Try to see if you don't have two folders of the same neighborhood in \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ or \Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2\ folders. Having two folders of the same neighborhood can cause to game to not save changes of sims, as it's loading and saving the same files, but from two sources.

(if the pic doesn't show up it's here)

This is what I have in the Documents folder. When it comes to the program files I'm not sure what to look for.

I have a folder in EA Games called backup, which has a copy of my TS2 UC folder inside of it--i.e. \Documents\EA Games\backup\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\... Would that be causing the problem?

Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 8:55 PM
Double check first that Windows hasn't, in it's lack of wisdom, set some or all of your neighborhood files to read only.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Double check first that Windows hasn't, in it's lack of wisdom, set some or all of your neighborhood files to read only.

Ah. The infinite wisdom of Windows. You're right: Belladonna Cove is read-only. Thanks so much! I hope everything works out now, lol.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee

I'm guessing NeighbourhoodTemplates folders also shouldn't be read-only?

Forum Resident
#7 Old 12th Sep 2019 at 10:42 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 13th Sep 2019 at 3:29 PM.
@Sims3FlareShow
It's actually fine if they are, and perhaps better if they are---if you're talking about files in the Program Files directory now. It's only stuff in your user files (the ones in My Documents) that can cause trouble if they're not writeable by the game---and not even all of them cause trouble either in that case. For example, some folks (me included) make their cache files read-only to avoid having to delete them every time to get the game to start, and there are some also who swear by write-protecting all their hack and cc files in Downloads (so everything but SewnOutfits).

By the way, yours is a kind of glitch that will happen anytime the game doesn't have exclusive access to its user files for you. So something very similar will happen if you've got SimPE open and don't remember to close it before launching the game, for example...and although I'm not sure (I haven't opened Bodyshop in ages), I think it also happens if you don't shut down Bodyshop before launching the game. (Editing to strikethrough that last bit because Bodyshop being open apparently just makes it impossible to launch the game.)

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/