Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 10:14 PM
@NewSimgirl2011 No they don't age, you have to keep manual track of their days.

@gazania Are you positive it was the college pack and not something else like corruption or an antiruses causing trouble at the same time? Things happen and are not always related. If it was a cc issue, what cc caused it?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 1:55 AM Last edited by gazania : 1st Aug 2016 at 3:16 PM.
Honestly, I have no idea what item or items caused my hood's Armageddon. My game worked fine before the college pack. Not a single issue. And you folks know how paranoid I am about doing anything that could even hint of hood corruption.

There was something ... odd ... that happened to my M&G game folders back on May 9th, even though the files were read-only, so I reinstalled M&G. (I have an idea of what it could be, and my techie also thinks this is not out of the question, but we will probably never know.) It was while testing each of my Uni hoods using my last version of the game when I noticed the problem. I used two different backups (one from July 11th and one from June 23rd) and the nonsense still happened. When I took out the Downloads folder entirely to start the 50/50, the disappearing UIs persisted, even with no CC whatsoever, including the college pack. It was then that I realized this was no 50/50 chore. I had used the college pack in both of my hoods. Both were now toast.

I ran my hoods with just the college pack. No other downloads. Same thing.

I think I did it again: found still another obscure way to mess up a hood. Boy, am I good at this. It's highly likely that the college pack and something else in my folder caused a big mess. No YAs in my hood ... no big problem. But once I had YAs running around in my main hood, the damage was done. This might be also something to note when using this mod, even if people don't get the UI glitch. If you have YAs still in your hood, strange things might happen if you decided to take the college pack out at a later date.

I finally put my April 28th backup in the game. That was the last backup I had before I used the college pack, which I tried in early May. When I put the college pack back in there, I got the disappearing UI again. Things weren't as bad this time, though, since there were no YAs in my hoods now. I just deleted the college pack and put in another copy of the April 28th backup. Finally, success. I hope. I really do hope. Crossing fingers and toes here.

So much was happening with both the hood and game files at the same time, and really, I didn't ... and still don't ... feel like going much further trying to figure out what exactly happened. I just decided I didn't want a main hood college that badly!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
#28 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by farawayy & so close
For simmers who have played both, what are the pros and cons of each? I've never played University and am curious which I should try first.

I love the in-hood university options. Educational systems are some of my favorite to design and implement. I recently started a second in-hood university to be more of my state school/public university - University of Apple Valley (http://applevalleyblogs.blogspot.co...valley.html)and there is my other university which is more of a private university-Pierce University (http://applevalleyblogs.blogspot.co...niversity.html).

I use the SPAT to create entrance exams (http://applevalleyblogs.blogspot.co...t-reloaded.html) to make it more difficult to get accepted. I also have various forms of scholarships (http://applevalleyblogs.blogspot.co...university.html) and study aboard options for my uni students as well. Then there's my technical school-WilTech (http://applevalleyblogs.blogspot.co...-community.html) for more practical education.

I like not having to load a separate subhood and like others have said, it allows me to have more options in terms of living arrangements-like for pregnant and married teens. Also since I play on small terrains, it allows me to have smaller universities.

My hood: Apple Valley
http://applevalleyblogs.blogspot.com/

http://starrsim.tumblr.com/

Sim Player since 2003
Mad Poster
#29 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 4:18 PM Last edited by gazania : 5th Aug 2016 at 10:36 PM.
Back before The Great Meltdown, I admit it was a whole lot of fun doing an in-hood Uni. I designed my own community college buildings, using my kids' community college and other ones I've been to/seen on the Net as inspirations. I would send my main-hood YAs over there. After all, it wouldn't be much of a community college without a college campus! It was actually pretty cool seeing Sims of all ages over there, listening to lectures, using the facilities, etc., and be able to link it with this college pack. I had a freakin' blast, and I was genuinely sad when bad things happened. The college pack opened a whole new aspect of gameplay. I spent many happy hours enjoying what this pack had to offer. (I'd shorten semesters to make the scenario seem more like a community college, since most students attend one for two or three years, rather than four.)

And joandsarah77 ... after poring through what could have happened, I realize one thing that could have caused my issue. It would probably also explain why HCDU wasn't helpful, and why it is such a rare problem. I'd want to try this on a test hood one day, though, after backing up my game, since I could be terribly wrong. (EDIT: Nope. That wasn't the cause.)

But I don't want to test for now. And not for a very long time, if ever. Right now, I want to recuperate after the recent hot mess that caused my Great Hood Armageddon of 2016. And I'd need to consider what could happen if I yank this college pack out in the future. This seems to be one of those mods where you might need to commit to using or risk having messed-up or corrupt hoods. It might be a light version of a custom NPC, since it may not cause issues once you graduate the YAs affected by this mod. I'm not sure I want to commit to this pack.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 10:16 PM
Understood gazania, trouble shooting is no fun and if your game is now working who wants to be messing around when they can be playing. But if you do take time to test at some point I would be interested to know what you find out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 2 of 2