Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 8:11 PM
Default Maximum dorm size
What is the maximum number of rooms you can have in a dorm?

I'm in the middle of building a mega dorm, I have 36 rooms so far...

I'm running on a high spec system, so not worried about the number of NPCs on the lot.

I'm sure I've made one with 30 rooms before, but is there a cut off point where not all rooms will be occupied?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 8:13 PM
I believe someone made a test and used the largest lot and did several 1x1 "rooms" with the door (or was this apartments?)

All became occupied which caused mass lag, but it did work.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Forum Resident
#3 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 8:16 PM
Can you let us know how it goes and whether there's lag? I'm investing in a new rather high powered computer and I want to make sure that it's worth it (a lag free game that loads in less than 30 minutes isn't too much to ask right? LOL)

I'd be eternally grateful if you wouldn't mind sharing your specs as well so I can compare? It's so hard to find a good computer for TS2 and I'm afraid of buying (another) lemon... (sorry to ninja your thread!)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 8:16 PM Last edited by alexanderfc : 15th Sep 2016 at 11:11 PM.
Excellent, thank you, I'll go up to 40 and give it a go, I'll feedback once tested.

Quote: Originally posted by terula8
Can you let us know how it goes and whether there's lag? I'm investing in a new rather high powered computer and I want to make sure that it's worth it (a lag free game that loads in less than 30 minutes isn't too much to ask right? LOL)

I'd be eternally grateful if you wouldn't mind sharing your specs as well so I can compare? It's so hard to find a good computer for TS2 and I'm afraid of buying (another) lemon... (sorry to ninja your thread!)

Haha, definitely not! Mine loads in less than 30 seconds. I did have to install Win7 on a partition however for stability reasons.

Sorry, Specs!

So by no means do I have a gaming laptop but it seems to have done exceptionally well, and it actually continues to surprise me, so I'm happy until I can afford Alienware...

Intel i7 2.1GHz Processor
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB HDD (Which I actually ended up replacing for a WD Blue 1TB - Recommended!)
AMD Radeon HD 7730M Dedicated GPU

As you can see it's a decent laptop, but the GPU is lacking you might say, well thus far I've been extremely pleased, I can play the majority of games on max settings (bar antialiasing) such as Skyrim and other highly demanding games. You don't have to spend silly money to get a good gaming system.

I actually got this laptop refurbished from the Dell Outlet and as I say the only thing I've had to do is replace the HDD, and that was by choice.

:D

UPDATE

It works! It did take almost the first half of freshman year for all rooms to be occupied! So whilst doing this I tried something...

"Graphics Rules.sgr" will need to be edited in accordance to your graphics GPU. I had the backup of the original one, and whilst it ran perfectly with no lag, the game did crash. But with it edited there doesn't seem to be any crashing. (He says, crossing his fingers)

To begin with, this page has a download link for the file, for AMD, NVidia and Intel. These also solve the common solid water/hay-like grass on the neighbourhood. You will need to alter a few other things in the first section(s), e.g. setting Low, Medium & High to 3, Size of GPU, and Max Resolution. It's very easy, but I've done it several times if you need help.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 11:20 PM
I imagine the game will bring/make a dormie for every door you place until the game crashes due to the number of sims on the lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I imagine the game will bring/make a dormie for every door you place until the game crashes due to the number of sims on the lot.

That would make sense, but my game crashed when just 14 of the rooms were occupied. I think as long as you have a GPU capable enough AND more importantly have "Graphics Rules.sgr" set up correctly, then you'll be fine, obviously on systems that, for example, only have an integrated GPU such as Intel HD 4000, then yes it will crash sooner, but you would also experience a lot of lag prior to that.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 12:08 AM
I don't get why anyone would want to try and experiment like that though. Crashing can cause hood corruption.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#8 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 2:40 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 2:59 AM
I don't get why anyone would want to try and experiment like that though. Crashing can cause hood corruption.

I had a query, I didn't wait around for someone else to answer it.

It was a fairly new install anyway so wouldn't lose much.
Scholar
#10 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 9:15 AM

Experimentation is the way to get answers to questions previously not asked. Of course, it may damage a hood or two. But as long as those hoods don't belong to someone else, a person is free to risk that. And we *all* learn from it, if this one person loses one of their hoods to it.
But most simmers have learned, not to do such experiments in long-established hoods that they do not want to lose :D
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 9:23 AM
Since I don't allow dormies in my dorms, I don't use dorms with more than 6 rooms, but I still find this interesting.
Scholar
#12 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 9:38 AM
@Justpetro: In *my* game, a dorm without dormies would be like a rental. Because unlike in the main hood, I usually play only one or two college students at a time. Three at the most. So for me, a larger dorm like for example "Sim State Dormitory" - the 14 rooms building in Sim State University - is ideal. It allows my simmies to meet a few non-playables of their preferred gender (I use TJ's dormie gender selector to manipulate the population process).

That aside, though, I understand your reasoning. :D
Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 9:59 AM
Oh, I know dormies have some advantages I just don't allow them in my dorms, so my students have to meet their new sex partners on community lots
I normally have around 18 college students in 3 or 4 dorms at a time.I like to send the teens (and their townie friends) who grew up together at the same time - so it is either no dormies or I am going to need to use a lot of dorms
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BoilingOil
Experimentation is the way to get answers to questions previously not asked. Of course, it may damage a hood or two. But as long as those hoods don't belong to someone else, a person is free to risk that. And we *all* learn from it, if this one person loses one of their hoods to it.
But most simmers have learned, not to do such experiments in long-established hoods that they do not want to lose :D

My thoughts exactly.

So after about 5 hours of play on the "mega dorm" it did end up crashing. There was no lagging prior, so I think this is something that can be fixed. One possibility is the number of floors, I have 6 plus the roof. I'll continue to look into this because it seems even with 40 dormies, two kitchen staff, and the cow, it doesn't slow the game up at all.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alexanderfc
I'm sure I've made one with 30 rooms before, but is there a cut off point where not all rooms will be occupied?

The game will just go on making dormies to fill the rooms if you don't have enough though the game (without mods or hacks) will also generate 50 students when you create a university anyway.

My largest dorm is, I think, 24 rooms. I'll have to check that. I like playing large dorms.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#16 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 12:32 PM
I guess everyone then is using the lotfullofsims mod or something similar? Since I hadn't played for 1,5 years I forgot the vanilla limit was 8 and that I had to put in a cheat file along with the mod to have more than that 8. Wanted to add number 9 into the dorm and it said it was full. Of course fixed by now by said mod and file.
Scholar
#17 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 1:48 PM
Lotfullofsims? Wow, that's an antique! But yeah, something similar is indeed required if you want to use such large lots to their fullest. I use Unlimited Sims. :D
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirjampenning
I guess everyone then is using the lotfullofsims mod or something similar? Since I hadn't played for 1,5 years I forgot the vanilla limit was 8 and that I had to put in a cheat file along with the mod to have more than that 8. Wanted to add number 9 into the dorm and it said it was full. Of course fixed by now by said mod and file.

For dorms no - the game brings in as many dormies as there are doors available. The limit of 8 applies to playable sims only.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#19 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 3:34 PM
Thank you so much @alexanderfc! I think the CPU is really what powers TS2 where load times and crash limits are concerned, and yours is a great one- intel i7! I'm trying to decide between an intel i3 and an i7 in two different computers, and am likely to be shelling out *quite* a bit for one that's going to work well in the long run. That said, I genuinely appreciate tests like this because now I know that you need a good CPU as well as a good GPU.

Many thanks!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 10:00 AM Last edited by alexanderfc : 17th Sep 2016 at 2:34 PM.
Thank you so much @alexanderfc! I think the CPU is really what powers TS2 where load times and crash limits are concerned, and yours is a great one- intel i7! I'm trying to decide between an intel i3 and an i7 in two different computers, and am likely to be shelling out *quite* a bit for one that's going to work well in the long run. That said, I genuinely appreciate tests like this because now I know that you need a good CPU as well as a good GPU.

Many thanks!

You're more than welcome, just had another look, seems my mega dorm is in fact, 9 floors! (Inc. foundation)

I'll be doing the test on fewer floors today, so hold tight!

Of course, I'd recommend i7, but if you want a compromise perhaps i5?

Update

Even with fewer floors (4) crashing persists.

@terula8's got me thinking about the CPU, I even tried turning off CPU Parking and Intel SpeedStep, but still the crashing continues. - I'll turn these back on for test #3 as I'm sure some of you aren't confident in using the Registry Editor or changing bios settings.

We can (sort of) rule out number of floors being the cause. I really thought it would be that, as the majority of the time dormies aren't visible.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 4:08 PM Last edited by alexanderfc : 19th Sep 2016 at 5:30 PM.
Ah that sucks :/ (I'm hopping back in because I love Sims 2 experiments like this!

I don't think in this case then that your CPU can be to blame (I do apologise - I had it wrong for this instance, but believe me - it's definitely involved where load times and general performance are concerned! Mine is probably made of stone so I feel like that's why my game is a bit rubbish on both fronts lol)

I wonder if the floor limit is the problem then... or perhaps the game's infrastructure just can't manage that many dormies? I'm getting my new machine this week (it's the only think keeping me alive in the midst of a chaotically busy week full of personal drama lol) so maybe I can test as well. I got the i7!
I'm thinking that

I downsized to 30 rooms and hey presto - It works

It would make sense that it's TS2 engine, because if it were hardware I'd likely to get SOME lagging.

Such a shame ~30 is the limit, having more dormies, makes for a more immersive game.

I have a working 24 room dorm, which is 6 floors, so floor number seems not to cause the crashing. (Although 10+ floors and you are playing with fire)