Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 3:59 PM
Custom dormies/townies WITHOUT deleting all Maxis townies?
So, I've been googling for a while, and all I ever find seems to be people who don't want custom townies, or only want custom townies. I on the other hand want both Maxis and my own dormies/townies, but with my own custom made townies having priority over those of Maxis'. i.e., my townies being the first picks in the list for visitors, dormies, etc.

I can't exactly figure out how I can manage this, especially without having to start over a neighborhood. I don't want clean or empty templates, I just want my own townies mixed with those of Maxis, in my current, existing neighborhoods and universities. But again, I don't think there is any way to give my own townies priority so that they're usually/always chosen first if they're available. I know how to make townies (haven't seen an option to create a custom dormie) and It would keep the randomness in my dorms, but it would avoid some of the ridiculous looking townies with awful personalities.

TLDR; I want custom townies and dormies (especially dormies) mixed in the Maxis townie pool, but with my custom townies and dormies having priority and a higher chance of being picked from the pool. I do not want to clear the existing templates.

If anyone can (and wants to) help or inform me, I would appreciate it greatly!

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 4:07 PM
First, clone the Maxis townies and make note of what features you consider important about them, such as aspiration and personality points.
Then, build an empty neighborhood.
Then, create a bunch of households in CAS that contain a mix of your own and Maxis sims. The random spawner favors low ID numbers over high ones, so create the ones you want to show up most first.
Move these households in and turn them into townies using the townie gun, teleporter, or whatever. To make dormies, all you have to do is create the sims in Create-a-Student and use the same device you use in the main hood. A dormie is just a YA townie, so it doesn't take a special option.
And there you go!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 6:09 PM
Is there any reason why I should start a new neighborhood? Aren't townies tied to neighborhoods?

I'm guessing I could just go into my current University hood, create households, then turn those Sims into townies in order to have them show up as potential dormies and visitors? If that works I'll sort of have what I want. I'll just have to make a lot of them in order to balance it with Maxis' townies.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 6:19 PM
If you make a new neighborhood and attach a university without suppressing the templates, they'll already have a lot of townies and dormies in them, who the randomizers will favor because of the bias toward low numbers. But there's no reason you can't make new townies and dormies in an existing hood, no.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If you make a new neighborhood and attach a university without suppressing the templates, they'll already have a lot of townies and dormies in them, who the randomizers will favor because of the bias toward low numbers. But there's no reason you can't make new townies and dormies in an existing hood, no.

I see, that makes sense. Could I also pull this off if I make my townie households in a new empty neighborhood, then take them to the hood I'm playing in while they're in the bin, and THEN move them in and turn them into townies? Or will it just add them at the bottom of the pool in that case?

Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 6:57 PM
DO NOT MOVE SIMS BETWEEN NEIGHBORHOODS.

Sorry to shout, but just...don't do it. Taking a sim out of a neighborhood breaks that neighborhood, and putting them into a second neighborhood breaks that neighborhood, too.

The ID numbers in question are assigned sequentially. When a stealth hood is added to a neighborhood, the sims in it are renumbered to fit into the new neighborhood. I don't know, having been warned before ever being tempted to do it, what happens to ID numbers when moving sims from hood to hood, but either it will renumber them in sequence, defeating the purpose, or it won't, and the game will be perennially confused about which sim with the same number is which, which would be one of the ways the neighborhood breaks. I think it probably renumbers it - for that number, though.

When moving sims between neighborhoods, data about other sims clings to them and they leave some of their own data behind. These bits of data drift around looking for other data to hook up to, and wind up hooking up to inappropriate data, and the next thing you know cats are being treated as humans, toddlers want 50 first dates, sims disappear mysteriously, and the neighborhood becomes unplayable.

The only safe way to move sims from one neighborhood to another is to clone them in SimPE, run them through Bodyshop (we're not sure if the particular extra bits of data that a SimPE clones retains are dangerous - some of it is just remembering what the non-cloned outfits were - but why take chances?), and remake them in CAS. That way they get their own unique signifiers that won't confuse the game, and don't drag in data from sims in the old neighborhood.

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 7:09 PM
I wasn't really talking about moving sims between neighborhoods. What I meant was creating a family in one neighborhood, but keeping them in the bin just like the premade homeless families, and then decide later where I will move them in and turn them into townies. That can't possibly cause issues right? Would be awfully stupid if it did, honestly.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 7:23 PM
Ah, I see. As long as they don't have jobs and there are no school-age children, they won't come home with anyone and won't be able to wander around the neighborhood, so yes, you can make them to give them low numbers and then let them sit there, if that's what you want. You'll need respawn suppressors to prevent the game from spawning new townies before you can townify them.

The numbers are assigned when the sims are made, so any stealth hood townies will still have lower numbers. So I don't see much point in hanging onto them like that, but whatever you're comfortable with.

One important detail: The sims will become the kind of townie suitable for the subhood. So only YAs can become dormies. Adult, child, teen, and elder sims can become regular townies if transformed in the main hood or a shopping district, and downtownies if transformed Downtown. This makes little practical difference, except that downtownies and dormies will only appear downtown and in University subhoods, respectively.

Tourists and vacation locals are a special case and I've never had to deal with them, so do a separate search if you decide you want those.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 9:53 PM
I used Esme's blank template method so while I had no townies in my game except the ones I made I also left some templates in. I use Mootilda's uni and it made me 8 brand new dormies with none of the old ones.. I do however have all the BV townies/tourists because I kept that template. I'm not sure if Inge's cat has an option to make dormies but if it does I would use that. You could also kill off any townies/dormies etc that you don't want, or move dormies into a dorm then go make your own. I don't see why you can't have the games + what you make, or am I getting what you want to do wrong?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 10:25 PM
Inge's cat is how I made the dormies for LGU. It says "townie" rather than "dormie" but it's all the same thing.

Field Researcher
#11 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 3:52 PM
Seeing what was mentioned here, if I have some townies I don't like, and others I do, would I be able to move the ones I don't like into a house, have them quit their jobs and them move them into the family bin? That way they aren't deleted, they aren't dead, and I won't see them running around town? I don't want to risk ruining my game, but I'd rather have people who live in town showing up at the community lots than people who aren't.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 4:18 PM
Yes. If they have friends, they may still show up on outings. I've had Joan Mole in the family bin ever since her agency extracted her from the GS Uberhood, and the only time I've seen her that I didn't deliberately use her for something was on Vidcund Curious's first night outing.

If you don't mind adding a mod and want to be sure they never show up even then, I believe Inge's Prison System is good for that.

Field Researcher
#13 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 4:23 PM
I don't mind them showing up if they are friends on an outing, as I see that as someone inviting them over, but when they live nowhere near town and are blocking the sims that do live there from visiting the lot I get annoyed.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anaticula
Seeing what was mentioned here, if I have some townies I don't like, and others I do, would I be able to move the ones I don't like into a house, have them quit their jobs and them move them into the family bin? That way they aren't deleted, they aren't dead, and I won't see them running around town? I don't want to risk ruining my game, but I'd rather have people who live in town showing up at the community lots than people who aren't.

I wouldn't do that, sim bin sims can show up plus they will clog up your bin. As you see sims you don't like, grab them, make them selectable and toss a prison token into their inventory. It's on the prison page at Simlogical.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~