Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 10:19 PM Last edited by TheJessaChannel : 16th Aug 2016 at 12:02 AM.
Default I ♥❤ The Sims 2 community.
I was just answering comments on my YouTube channel and I was struck by how many folks take such care to help and make suggestions about building Kettle Falls. It is really a community neighborhood! Then I thought of the helpful threads I find here and at other places, like Affinity Sims and Plumbob Keep and I just felt the need to share how great our Simming community can be! I asked a WCIF for some hair and a kind soul answered me so quick! For a 14 12 year old game!

Yeah, so just came to spread some positivity. Keep on keeping on.

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 10:25 PM
The Sims 2 community is one of the friendliest I've ever seen.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#3 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 10:31 PM
The Sims 2 Community. How do I begin to explain The Sims 2 community?

The Sims 2 Community is flawless
I hear there is CC insured for $10,000
I hear there are car commercials for Nightlife
The favorite movie is Strangetown Secrets
One time we met Bella Goth on a plane
And she told us we we're pretty
One time it punched me in the face, it was awesome
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 10:38 PM
The Sims 2 community is the best. :lovestruc

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#5 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 10:48 PM
It is always "A beautiful day in the neighborhood.." in our Sims 2 community ( ..singing along with Mr. Rodgers..) !!!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
This Sims 2 community seems lucky. All I get is piano dropping on me...

In a mineshaft. You end up with a flat miner.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#7 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 11:34 PM
Don't mind the disagrees. That would be 3 or 4 players lurking to keep us down

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 11:35 PM

Hi disagree fairy, have a lovely day, ya hear!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#9 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 11:47 PM
14 year old game? if I remember correctly, Sims2 was released in 2004 towards the end of that year.

Sims2 community friendly? from my understanding, some Sims2 fansites could be considered mean at times. moreawesomethanyou maybe being one; except for the downloads it provides.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
14 year old game? if I remember correctly, Sims2 was released in 2004 towards the end of that year.

Sims2 community friendly? from my understanding, some Sims2 fansites could be considered mean at times. moreawesomethanyou maybe being one; except for the downloads it provides.

Whoops, I cannot count.

And I have met with the dark side of the simming community in a very real way. Let's Playing will do that. But, overall I love this community. Also, I wanted to spread some sunshine, so there. :-P

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo
Don't mind the disagrees. That would be 3 or 4 players lurking to keep us down

I cannot see disagrees, agrees or any such nonsense. I blocked it all with adblock.

edit: crap, double posted, please forgive.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:03 AM
And the good definitely outweighs the bad in the sims 2 community imo. Sure there's some dark corners in any community, especially when it's based entirely on the internet, but it's not nearly as bad as some other gaming groups i'm a part of.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:04 AM
I forgot about MATY. Oops.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:28 AM
I don't count MATY since it isn't really a sims 2 chat site any longer. The sims 2 section barely sees any posts they are all about the sims 3 there.

Ignoring MATY and TSR, I find the community here very friendly and helpful. I have been helped with simpe, had files uploaded for me, had extensive help on upgrading on the tech board. We get the occasional troll, but I don't see them as part of the community and they are soon banned anyway.

It's probably been 14 years since sims 1 was released so many of us have been playing that long.

Jessa I don't know what add block you are using as most add blockers don't prevent the sites buttons from showing.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#15 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:36 AM
I love the Sims 2 community. For the most part everyone is fun and helpful. MTS especially. It's the first place I returned to after a 5 year hiatus because I knew I would be welcome.
Inventor
#16 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:44 AM
In my short experience being here since I signed up, I can agree that this is an amiable community. It's also a good thing there are still forums that support older games. The earlier Sims games have had such a good reputation it's hard to let go, like how Windows XP is currently the third most popular OS.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Jessa I don't know what add block you are using as most add blockers don't prevent the sites buttons from showing.

I am using adblock plus and I set up my own filter to block the agree/disagree and other stuff at the bottom of the post. I cannot see if anyone has pushed any of those buttons.

Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheJessaChannel
I am using adblock plus and I set up my own filter to block the agree/disagree and other stuff at the bottom of the post. I cannot see if anyone has pushed any of those buttons.

Probably the best for sanity's sake.

I also really love the TS2 community and it's one of the reasons I still play and tinker with TS2. Some of the things I've seen floating about the TS3 and TS4 community are... Hard to watch, honestly. I'll stay with TS2 where things are happy and there's (not nearly as much) creator drama going on.

Is it too mean to say that I feel like most of the toxic people have moved on to the newer games?

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 1:11 AM
I feel the same way siletka, and it seems to hold true! I also love the Sims 2 community - and the game, which helps. Sims 12 will be out and I'll probably still be playing 2, as long as I still have a computer that runs it...hopefully the community lasts that long too.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#20 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 1:38 AM
When I first started playing TS2 (which wasn't until 2008ish, not too long before I joined here) the community wasn't quite as nice as it is now. I'd have to say the biggest reason it's nicer now is simply age.. a huge chunk of us have been around for years and have grown up.

Another reason for that *might* be the quality of cc available too. For the most part the quality is way better so there is less for people to make fun of and tear apart. (But I'm still sticking with we're all getting older and just don't have the energy anymore, lol.) Oh, and I forgot all about paysites and "pirates" and.. and... yeah, AGE. I'm sticking with age!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 2:01 AM
On the age front, I think the last poll that was done on here shows most of us playing sims 2 are 30+ and the younger players have gone on to 3 and 4. Hopefully being older we have a bit more patience and maturity.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#22 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 2:41 AM
Why anyone would "disagree" with this, I do not understand. I love your videos and your channel, Jessa. You inspire me to play all the time! Despite the fact that this community can get quite nasty and mean, the majority helps to outshine the negativity. Keep making amazing content!
Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 3:04 AM Last edited by gazania : 16th Aug 2016 at 5:08 AM.
There are jerks in all the Sims communities. I don't think they're limited to one series. Not all Sims 2 players are friendly. I remember joining a Sims 2 forum years back, partaking in one of those forum games (along the line of "This or That?". Y'know, those silly games that sometimes amuse us), and being on my very best forum behavior. I'm a member of quite a few Sims 2 forums, and would like to THINK I behave well on them!

I was promptly banned. I thought it must have been a mistake. Why would it bother people if I liked mustard over ketchup in a silly forum game? No explanation, no warning. nothing. I could not sign up again, even under a different e-mail. (I really did think it was a mistake the first time; otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.) I guess they went by the IP address. I gave up after the second try. I mostly wanted to thank the creators for some really nice stuff. I did manage a couple of those before being booted. I don't THINK that writing "thank you" along with a dozen others is rude!

Perhaps an admin on that forum saw that I wrote something here about pay content and didn't like what she read. I have no idea. Really. I did not break ANY forum rules in any way, unless people really don't like mustard.

The forum has long disappeared. (So no one has to worry about condiments.) I can't say I'm that upset over that. Most of the creations are on the Graveyard, but I haven't even looked at them there in years.

Then there are some people on certain famous forums. Unless you enjoy being skewered, you stay away from those.

I think it may not be a case of one series' players being nicer than others, but the mix of people on certain forums. I have have met some really nice Sims 3 players on the officials, here and Tumblr (though it seems that several Sims 3 players there seem really too fond of AdFly links. Mediafire and AdFly are the spawn of evil, as far as I'm concerned.)

And the mix of people here is pretty nice. Has been for a long time. I did get a lashing once, but once in ten years isn't horrible. And I'm still here after that, so it didn't hurt me THAT much.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 3:23 AM
I love the TS2 community right now. I'm sure there's still drama and "haters" in the community *cough*mostlyontumblritseems*cough*, but these incidents seem to be on the decline. I enjoy seeing how friendly and forthcoming everyone is with their play-styles, their tips, and their neighborhoods, and I really appreciate the work and creativity that Mara, Jessa, and other simmers put into their neighborhood LPs. All of the inspiration generated by this community keeps TS2 looking as perky and lively as ever, despite its increasing age.

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Inventor
#25 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 3:56 AM
When it comes to friendly versus hateful folks, it's a similar environment in the Sims world. Sims can either be benevolent angels or selfish devils, and that's the way it's like in the real world, too.

Some Sims are willing to open up to newcomers by being nice to them right off the bat, by either complimenting them or telling a joke even if the newbie ends up not liking it. I remember in one scenario where my Sim surprisingly accepted a friendly hug even though she and this visitor barely knew each other.

Then there are those who will irritate or prank the new Sim before it down-spirals from there. Unfortunately, it's easier to slide down in this sense. I had a case where someone annoyed my Sim, and to prevent it from getting worse, I quickly got her into chatting with him to improve their relationship. Too bad the same thing doesn't happen with our handful of losers.
Page 1 of 6