Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 3:04 PM
Garage as part of apartment?
I'm trying to build an apartment building in Sims 2, and I had this crazy idea to include a garage as part of the apartment. Would that work? If so, how? Thanks!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 6:09 PM
The problem is that apartments can only have one external door. So, if you want to do this, you'll probably have to remove the garage door.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 6:24 PM
All right...no garage for my sims' apartments. Thanks!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Theorist
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
All right...no garage for my sims' apartments. Thanks!

Well, Mootilda didn't say that. She just said no garage door.
I think you may still be able to just put in a driveway extension with a fake garage door and the cars will teleport.
Maybe? I'm not really familiar with all the ins and outs of apartment building, but it seems to me this should work.
Another option would be to just have a parking space, but I'm guessing you knew that.
Apartments with garages (if possible) is going to be one my next projects as well, so this question interests me.
Site Helper
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 8:21 PM
That's right. A driveway extension inside a room without a real external door will allow your sim to have an attached garage, but you won't see the drive in / out animations.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 8:05 AM
I've been making some apartments at the moment which are two story and include garages. I will update here once I find out whether they work successfully during testing.

◄ TDS - TheDeadSim - Cam ►
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Dec 2012 at 2:24 PM
hi. i've tried making an apartment with a garage for two cars. well, since the rule is that, when you move your sims in, you can't place buy mode items outside your space. so i put cars when i was still building, and when i moved a sim in, i can make use of the cars.

of course the garage can't be part of one single apartment room - it has to be a common garage. so, yeah, in theory, rental cars (though the game still asks who should own the car).
Scholar
#8 Old 3rd Dec 2012 at 10:17 PM
Its possible to have garages in Apartments, a number of maxis apartments have them. High tech lofts I think they're called is a good example. The white ones with the slanted roofs. But from what IVe seen about this feature, to make it work, the Apartment door has to lead into the garage, so the garage is the enterance and there are stairs to go to the main level. Maybe its possible to build it elsewhere, but in all the Maxis apartments, and even these custom ones, thats how its laid out and thats how it works.

http://modthesims.info/d/315662
Instructor
#9 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 1:59 AM
It's entirely possible to have garages with apartments. They MUST be attached garages. And the only entry into the garage (other than the garage door) has to be from within the parameters of the apartment. I've done it lots of times. It's great for townhouses and duplexes.
Theorist
#10 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 11:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aaries16
It's entirely possible to have garages with apartments. They MUST be attached garages. And the only entry into the garage (other than the garage door) has to be from within the parameters of the apartment. I've done it lots of times. It's great for townhouses and duplexes.

In other words, NPCs cannot enter garages through garage doors?
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one do it in a normal residential Lot either.

As far as the garage having to be "attached" to the apartment, I think what you mean is that it has to be within the confines of the apartment, which means there could be a yard separating the apartment from the garage, as long as the apartment, yard and garage are all within the confines of the apartment. IOW, the garage does not necessarily have to be physically attached to the apartment.
Correct?

I'm also curious what happens when a garage or parking space is not attached to an apartment.
Let's say there is an apartment house with several apartments, as well as a parking lot with a parking space (or two) for every apartment.
Will any Sim from any apartment be able to drive any of the cars, or just their own cars?
Will they be able to drive any of the cars at all?

I'm currently making a very large apartment Lot and I'm thinking of including a subterranean parking garage, so I'm wondering if it would work.
Scholar
#11 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 5:58 PM
If you just have a driveway in the yard outside of an apartment, i dont think you'll be able to buy a car and put it in the driveway anyway, since its "out of bounds"
Theorist
#12 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Night Racer
If you just have a driveway in the yard outside of an apartment, i dont think you'll be able to buy a car and put it in the driveway anyway, since its "out of bounds"

OK, I see what you mean now - thanks.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies