2 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 10:34 AM
Hello, I was wondering whether it is possible to make the glass on the windows tinted?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 2:36 PM
Default Group name length for glass
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else had tried to use Blender3D for this tutorial?

I have followed all the steps and successfully created windows but in certain cases (e.g. the "Plate Glass" window) the group name for the glass mesh is so long that it gets shortened by Blender3D. When I try to import my new mesh back into SimPE it does not list any objects as the group name has been truncated and is not as the original (e.g. windowplateglass_frostedglass gets truncated to windowplateglass_frost).

I tried renaming the groups to something more convenient - windowglass - (for the north and south glass) before exporting and editing my meshes but was still unable to see anything to import again .

Any help would be much appreciated. As I say, it is only in cases where Blender3D can't handle the length of the group name.

P.S. Excellent tut btw!
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#103 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 2:46 PM
You can rename the groups after importing to SimPE. Import them with the truncated names, then go to the Groups tab under Geometric Data Container and select the groups you want to rename, fix the name to what is should be (the original name), then commit and save.
Test Subject
#104 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
You can rename the groups after importing to SimPE. Import them with the truncated names, then go to the Groups tab under Geometric Data Container and select the groups you want to rename, fix the name to what is should be (the original name), then commit and save.

Thanks for your swift reply, IgnorantBliss. It was all my fault all along! I had been making an error when exporting the .obj file from Blender3D and as a result there was no facet information in the file! What a tool! I was selecting the vertex option when I only needed the normals option selecting.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem!

Thanks to all and keep up the good work. This is one of the few forums on the web where one feels able to ask questions without being abused in response!
Field Researcher
#105 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 1:01 PM Last edited by nixie : 28th Aug 2007 at 1:30 PM.
Default Very Big Thank You For This Tutorial
big and bold THANK YOU for a big and bold person who willingly share their knowledges

some notes after making a window using this tutorial:

1) you really have to read both numenor and IgnorantBliss tutorials (this one), don't miss a word and you don't have to go back to redo your package. they are both very clear and easy to follow.

2) first thing you do after cloning an object is get GUID (well, I found that out after doing both this tutorial, I've always wait until the last minute to register GUID, no more! going back to do it will confuse ME lol)

3) in step 13 of IgnorantBliss tutorial "move the whole mesh just a tiny little bit towards the wall side direction." towards the wall side is very important, because when you want to line up both side of an open window, I get easily confused so just move every thing towards the wall direction (in wings 3D the wall direction is the one where there are blues bits showing)

3 a) if you have open window see picture below, when you flip your South window do not flip the "open window pane", just the frame.

3 b) it would be easier to line things up if you also export the North side mesh , after you flip your mesh, import the exported N mesh into your 3D program, and move the frame to where the exported N mesh is, if you are using wings 3D, use the Save Bounding Box options.

3c) the only thing left for you to align, will be the open part of the window. if you are using wings 3D select the open part of the windows (hit B, Body selection so you move the whole thing), right mouse click on work area, select move (along axis z or x) in the pop up (first option), release mouse button, hit tab, input window pop up, use something between 0.02 or 0.01 to move it slightly, sometimes you need to move it the "-" negative direction so just add "-" infront. the reason I use the numeric input is for precision, if you move 0.02 along s in south mesh then you move -0.02 in the n mesh until they align nicely when preview in your game. note to self: you won't be able to align them the first trial, be patient and it will line up eventually. nearly chuck the whole project :P

this is my feedback after using the tutorial for wings 3D user. window should be easy to create because they are mostly geometrical shapes (unless you are SimPE invalid like me :P)
Screenshots

Marjorie Dawes: Dust. Anybody? No? High in fat, low in fat? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust.
Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. It's actually very low in fat. You can have as much dust as you like.
Sims Love to Run with Scissors, Simmers Love to Download.
Test Subject
#106 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 7:37 PM
Thanks, for the tutorial, IgnorantBliss! This has been very helpful as was everyone else in this tutorial! Thank you all!

All for the lolz. =)
Instructor
#107 Old 19th Dec 2007 at 1:45 PM Last edited by suceress : 23rd Dec 2007 at 9:13 AM. Reason: removed file
Thank you so much for putting this tutorial up. I've followed it, and the wallmask tutorial, and followed the steps in the modding InfoCenter on how to link diagonal objects.
Unfortunately, my object can't seem to work diagonally, even though it has a diagonal version.

I cloned the basegame "Well Wisher's Window" but no matter what I do I can't get it to work diagonally. I've gone through the steps 5 times. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Until I can get it diagonal, I can't check to see if the wallmask fits either. :-(

As a note, the windowpane is supposed to be a bit dark because its a stained glass type effect, however the light doesn't seem to go through very well, I can make it so that the recolors have more transparency though. I hope that will make the light come through better.

I'm attaching the file because I can't figure out why its not working right. I probably just missed something minor, but I'm just not seeing it.

Could you please take a look and tell me if I missed something?
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#108 Old 19th Dec 2007 at 4:43 PM
So far I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. All I know is that I've never used that window as a base myself, so I can't say for sure if it's a functional window to clone or not. I know there is one curtain where the linking between the straight and diagonal one doesn't work. The Plate Glass window, at least, is something that is supposed to work, so all I can recommend right now is for you to create new clones based on the Plate Glass window, import your meshes and textures into those packages, link them the same way as these ones.
Instructor
#109 Old 23rd Dec 2007 at 2:13 PM
Thanks.
I decided to clone MaryLou's window template (which is excellent) and it went diagonal, BUT I ran into a problem on the positioning.

Several people at the create chat pointed out to me that I needed to have different names for the cres for straight and diagonal. I didn't pay enough attention and used the exact same name for each and it caused some confusion. I put straight in one and diagonal in the other and now they work nicely.

I believe I made the same mistake with the Well Wisher's Window clone, which might have causes some of the problem, but I'm not sure and am too lazy to try it again.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 7:32 AM Last edited by acid_gurl : 1st Apr 2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fix
Default what's wrong with my window?
i have a problem with my diagonal window. i followed every step in the tutorial, but i seem to have this problem.i have no problem with the straight mesh window,but, somehow there is this flashing blue frame on my diagonal window. do you think it's a texture problem or shape or mesh problem?i hope anyone can take a look into this problem. also,i attached my zip file for reference.

found the problem.it seems my problem is almost the same as simtopix since we used ofb objects.i used simtopix package for my reference and i found my problem.thanks to ignorancebliss for the tutorial and numenor for the modding. anyway, i have one more problem. when i looked at the menu tabs,i found that my window has some kind of an old mesh shadow. is there a way to delete this shadow?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  windows.zip (45.5 KB, 17 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#111 Old 16th May 2008 at 9:08 PM
Thank you very much IgnorantBliss.
This tutorials was really very easy to follow, Thanks.

My window worked... and didn't work, The glass does not show when i have the walls up,
It only Shows the body of the window (frame). Can you please help me?
Test Subject
#112 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 10:01 PM
you use a square/rectangular window in your Tutorial will this work of a round window too?
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by $RaMRoM$
Thank you very much IgnorantBliss.
This tutorials was really very easy to follow, Thanks.

My window worked... and didn't work, The glass does not show when i have the walls up,
It only Shows the body of the window (frame). Can you please help me?

Did you edit the wallmask? Thats an important part for your window to work correctly
Test Subject
#114 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 9:01 PM
Hello!
Thanks for this tutorial ^_^

But time have passed and I m too noob to do this tutorial...
Is it possible that you do a new tutorial for The Sims 4 and a little more simplier?

Or can you say me where i can find a windows tutorial?

What i want to do is a "2-way glass mirror" (a "miroir sans tain" in french)
I was thinking to start from the "Glacemaster 1700C - EpicWide" but i m so noob that i don't know how to do...

Can somebody help me?

Thanks! ^_^
Test Subject
#115 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 8:19 PM
This tutorial is great and I already made a window following it, but now I'm trying to make a new one and no matter which window I clone, it seems that wall mask is not working. I would really appreciate if someone could see what's the problem!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Titanic A Deck Window.rar (48.7 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#116 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 10:26 PM
Windows can be fussy and not clone properly. I always use one of the templates Marylou made.
Instructor
#117 Old 13th Nov 2018 at 2:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SeptemberSimsForum
This tutorial is great and I already made a window following it, but now I'm trying to make a new one and no matter which window I clone, it seems that wall mask is not working. I would really appreciate if someone could see what's the problem!

As far as I can tell, your package looks normal - just unfinished. See steps 20-24 of this tutorial. You will need to edit the TXTR file for the wallmask (or replace it with your own premade image) to make it fit your frame/placement. Also, you will need to edit the meshes for the shadow and glass in your 3d editing program to make them fit as well.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Test Subject
#118 Old 13th Nov 2018 at 6:55 PM Last edited by SeptemberSimsForum : 14th Nov 2018 at 9:13 PM.
Another update. I cloned the window mentioned in this tutorial and I just added new guids. Then I placed it in downloads folder and tested it in the game - the original one works like it always did but wall mask of this cloned one is not working...

Update. So I installed the latest SimPE from official site and made the same window and wall mask is still not working, so it's not SimPE... I also tried with cloning first window I made following this tutorial with SimPE 0.75.1.31289 and wall mask is just not working...

Thanks for advices! First I tried with editing wall mask and testing it in the game - without success, then I tried with cloning marylou's template also without success... Going to try with another version of SimPE, I'm currently using 0.75.1.31289.
Screenshots
Page 5 of 5