Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2006 at 11:20 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets
Default I cannot change the screen resolution in-game.
I cannot figure out why I am unable to change the screen resolution in the game. Obviously there is an option but MY only option is "800x600" I wasn't even aware that you could choose a different resolution until I saw a friend of mine with a higher resolution in-game. My desktop resolution is 1152x864. I dont necessarily need the in-game to be so large, but I do want it larger than 800x600. I did find a cheat to fix this...but it did not work, and there isn't one listed on mts2, so I figured it wasn't legit anyway.

*sigh* This problem has been bugging me since I bought The Sims2... and now I have all 3 expansion packs. I have surfed the 'net looking for an answer, but nobody else seems to have my problem. If anyone knows what I can do, please let me know. I will be eternally grateful.

-porcelainwhisper
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Oct 2006 at 11:23 AM
I also have your problem, it only came to light recently. I hope for an answer also.

WOW. I wish reality was this real.
Test Subject
#3 Old 15th Oct 2006 at 11:34 AM Last edited by kyna1962 : 15th Oct 2006 at 12:02 PM. Reason: To give appropriate credit
This is probably due to your video card. The game has flagged your video card as low end in terms of the games requirements, so it doesn't think you can run the game at a higher resolution at a reasonable gameplay speed.

I had the same problem. I edited my Graphics Rules.sgr file to enable higher resolutions on my computer. This is how you fool the game into letting you run at a higher resolution.

1. Find the file: C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/YOUR LAST EP OR SP INSTALLED/TSData/Res/Config/Graphics Rules.sgr

Replace the part in bold with your last EP or SP installed - eg for OFB it would be The Sims2 Open For Business

When you install a new EP or SP you will need to edit the Graphics Rules.sgr file again, for that installation.

2. Make a copy it under a different name as a backup - e.g. Graphics Rules.bak THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you find you need to undo this you will need that backup.

3. Open the original file in Notepad

4. Find the section "option ScreenModeResolution"

5. You will see settings for low, medium and high. Edit the low settings so that they match the medium settings. This will allow the game to start at 1024x768 or better.

6. Save (remembering to save as an .sgr file not a .txt file) and exit.

7. Start the game. Go into the graphics option once the game is loaded. You should be able to select something other than 800x600.

EDIT TO ADD: I learned how to do this in a forum topic that I printed out a long time ago, but I didn't have the original poster's name in my printout. I've just done a search and can tell you that credit for this goes to No Mercy who told us how to do this in the base game in this topic.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 5:20 PM
Thanks for that info kyna1962- that's a good snippet to remember!
Test Subject
#5 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 7:37 PM
I cant view .sgr files ....

And its starting to do my head in .. can anyone please help?
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 8:29 PM
Clairexx, You need to right-click on the .sgr file and choose Open. When you get the can't open file message, choose the open to select the program from list and then choose Notepad. Don't forget to follow all of the rest of the steps outlined by kyna1962, especially making a backup copy of the file before altering it in any way.

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Test Subject
#7 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 8:32 PM
thank you very much!!!! for the help

Appreciate it muchly