Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#51 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 11:52 AM
It's looking great, but I'm keen to know what you have planned for the rest of the world!

Any sketches or ideas?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#52 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 4:10 PM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 6th Nov 2011 at 5:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
It's looking great, but I'm keen to know what you have planned for the rest of the world!

Any sketches or ideas?

The only full plan I actually have is in my head . Here are a few pics that show the general shape the land will fit to . I plan to either recolor one of EA's distant terrains for the background or create my own original one . The bulk of the town will be located near the little bay . I plan to have no more then 70 lots in this world;About 10 of them will be left empty.

I have one little question for all of you. Do you all think I should keep the lots bare and simple or go for more intricate and detailed lots?
The simple method will be easier on computers, while the more detailed method will be more attractive to the eyes.

and two pics from ingame showing the section of terrain I built yesterday.

Barns are rather enjoyable builds; this world will have at least 6 or 7 of them.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 5:29 PM
I like it,it looks really quite realistic, but one rather obvious thing was the square of different water around the island, is there anyway to fix that, or is it an EA problem. And to answer your question, i would probably leave it simpler, to make it work more smoothly on low end pc's, or maybe, bring out both, to see what people think? Maybe i'm asking too much....

My mini website: Skimmer55
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 5:37 PM
Id say thT your so good at world building that you could get away with both. Id prefer something more detailed but then again i shlould walk a mile in someone shoes tht has a low end computer.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#55 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Skimmer55
I like it,it looks really quite realistic, but one rather obvious thing was the square of different water around the island, is there anyway to fix that, or is it an EA problem. And to answer your question, i would probably leave it simpler, to make it work more smoothly on low end pc's, or maybe, bring out both, to see what people think? Maybe i'm asking too much....

The square thing is there because I turned off the fog in CAW so the view would be clearer for the pics. When the fog is turned on there is no seperation between the areas.
I'll bring out an example of both a detailed and non detailed house so we can see which method you all favor. Now I just need to go build a house.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 5:58 PM
Outstanding Ouer...only thing I noticed is that there is a little more brown in the rl terrain. California sure is baked in the summer and I think you have really captured the essence of it. Just wondering too if you have a release date for Seacrest.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#57 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rennara
Outstanding Ouer...only thing I noticed is that there is a little more brown in the rl terrain. California sure is baked in the summer and I think you have really captured the essence of it. Just wondering too if you have a release date for Seacrest.

I don't have a release date on Seacrest; it still has a long way to go . Over the last few weeks I've been finishing houses in it and building terrain in Reyes.

Here a some comparison pics , between detail levels, for you all to view . The interior shots were taken inside a house that looks like this.

This is a rather cheap and ugly house .
Which set do you all think I should go for?

little detail

high detail
Instructor
#58 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 7:11 PM Last edited by Redhead Creations : 7th Nov 2011 at 2:10 AM. Reason: Typo
I think for some of the starter/smaller homes, less detail is better because it's more realistic to move [into] to a house that is a bit emptier.

Though the larger houses would be great to see more detail, simply because you are so good at it.

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Scholar
#59 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 1:58 AM
I think the way you have the outside of the house is perfect! I love the rusticity. (Actually reminds me of some of the houses a little way out from my area.) I'd definitely go for the simpler interior, and focus most of the detail on the exteriors to create that perfect neighborhood feeling. I don't know about other people, but I like to redecorate the insides anyway.

Great stuff so far!

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Test Subject
#60 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 10:21 PM
Add just a little more gloom and doom lighting/sky and you could have pulled it from the Ghostwriter island on Iceland (well Germany really, but it was supposed to be Iceland)!
Looking lovely!!
Instructor
#61 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
I don't know about other people, but I like to redecorate the insides anyway.

Great stuff so far!

Agree. After all, we put what we like into houses, I think the exteriors and the overall look of the town is what really matters (besides obviously base playability).

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 6:36 PM
Just wonderiing what you are using on the driveway....it looks like pavement which imo would be out of place in a back roads setting. If its gravel...maybe choose a browner shade that looks like dirt.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#63 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rennara
Just wonderiing what you are using on the driveway....it looks like pavement which imo would be out of place in a back roads setting. If its gravel...maybe choose a browner shade that looks like dirt.

It currently has the EA asphalt/cement on it but I have plans of changing it once I find the build file that has the ingame terrain paint textures in it . Since all of EA paints are either to saturated or simply off for this world I plan to export a few of them, adjust there tones in Gimp, then import them into the world file just like I have the plants. I not certian this method will work on paints but I'm being hopefull.
After I have the right texture I will probably put gravel on it.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 4:24 AM
This is looking great so far. I love looking at all your worlds because you are so talented. Your sculpting and painting look nearly identical to the pictures you took. I also agree that less can be more as long as it's done right. You dont really have to go overboard on the interiors with curtains and deco and maybe only one or two rugs. For one, it keeps the houses a little cheaper and its better on rendering. It's really the outside of the houses and the other lots that could use the detail. Also, you're so good at changing the colors and patterns of the objects and wallpapers. The items you use complement eachother very nice, you dont need the extra deco and stuff.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 5:12 AM
This really looks amazing. As a Californian far from home, your world is making me home-sick!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#66 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 7:59 AM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 12th Nov 2011 at 8:09 AM.

I have done nothing in this section except terrain painting . It will have a few plants and a house from the 20's or 30's built across from the other house.

I still need to build the bathrooms .

I plan to make a few custom in game terrain paints for things such as grass and gravel. Would you all like for me to to make them default overides or seperate new paints?
Instructor
#67 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 10:26 AM
OMG. I wish sims could surf. I imagine them strolling down the cliff to go surfing

About your question, I think you should do what you're more comfortable with: I guess no one would complain about it

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#68 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 12:44 AM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 13th Nov 2011 at 8:19 AM.
Does this gravel look okay?

edit

I worked on improving the gravel.Here is a pic of what I have now .

If you would like to take a look at the textures in your game simply download the file below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jvp1plapuw6b6c6

and a house

enjoy
Field Researcher
retired moderator
#69 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 7:23 PM
Love that last house! Looks like you're really making progress. You're interior decorating is impeccable.

PM me with a request!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#70 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 3:15 AM
a very small update

new road textures

3 new ingame terrain paints I plan to use in this world

and a few more pics of the house I started yesterday.

Instructor
#71 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 3:32 AM
I am so in love with this world! The new road textures work very well.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 10:45 AM
This is fantastic. The gravel looks great and I am in love with the road texture... ok..... I love it all.

Inspire. Dream. Hope. Believe. Imagine. Create.
Alchemist
#73 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 1:49 PM
The gravel and road texture are awesome! But I'm not too fancy about the overall world texture, picture #4 in post #71, the texture looks way to big and so it looks 2D :/
Not trying to be offensive, because it really fits the world but it just doesn't look okay to me on the lots :/

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#74 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 6:03 PM
Like the houses...like the way you set the spiral staircase in its own space...good idea. The textures are so much better. Question: Can you save you house to a bin in caw and use them in different worlds? It makes sense to save time....changes can always be made to indivualize.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 7:03 PM
The dried grass you're using as main texture is too big so it looks like the house is sitting in a giant hamster cage, imo. See last picture on post #67.
Also, the gravel texture looks pretty good, but I'd expect the corners to have more 'scattered' pebbles here and there, you know? Right now the borders are too defined. I don't know if using less opacity to make the borders look like pebbles mixed with grass would be enough as the gravel would look somewhat transparent. Maybe you could try making a special texture just for the borders, with defined pebbles in the middle of the grass, if you know what I mean.

Great job so far!

You want to know the Secret... so did I. Low in the dust I sought it, and on high. No agony of any mortal brain shall wrest the secret of the life of man. The Search has taught me that the Search is vain.
Page 3 of 31