Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#76 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 8:45 PM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 14th Nov 2011 at 9:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rennara
Like the houses...like the way you set the spiral staircase in its own space...good idea. The textures are so much better. Question: Can you save you house to a bin in caw and use them in different worlds? It makes sense to save time....changes can always be made to indivualize.

Actually I plan to do this with the victorians in Seacrest. I wil simply plop them down in Reyes and give them a makeover. The opposite is also true. That last house ,the neocolonial one, will be used in Seacrest.

Quote: Originally posted by ChaoticNeutral
The dried grass you're using as main texture is too big so it looks like the house is sitting in a giant hamster cage, imo. See last picture on post #67.
Also, the gravel texture looks pretty good, but I'd expect the corners to have more 'scattered' pebbles here and there, you know? Right now the borders are too defined. I don't know if using less opacity to make the borders look like pebbles mixed with grass would be enough as the gravel would look somewhat transparent. Maybe you could try making a special texture just for the borders, with defined pebbles in the middle of the grass, if you know what I mean.

Great job so far!

To say that the grass looks like hamster cage is just a little strong I think.

Does this look a little better? The two lightest shades of grass are now much finer and smaller.

Actually gravel does usually have a pretty harsh edge. So, I think it looks right enough .

edit: The method I used above really messed up how a few of the textures were layed out . An example of this problem is the green in the pictures above. Instead of replacing the textures I have decided that I will just add two or three new ones right around the lots. This will lead to more textures in the world but will also not mess up what has already been created.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 5:59 AM
Default This is beautiful.
Where do you post your worlds for download?
Field Researcher
#78 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 7:39 PM
What I meant with the "hamster cage" comparison is that the grass leaves look big compared to the house, like a hamster's house looks over that dry wood thing used in their cages.
The gravel is looking great, and that last picture too. Those greener spots here and there are perfect.

You want to know the Secret... so did I. Low in the dust I sought it, and on high. No agony of any mortal brain shall wrest the secret of the life of man. The Search has taught me that the Search is vain.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#79 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 8:09 AM
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 6:00 PM
Just looking at that green patch ouerbaker...it looks a bit out of place..other wise great landscaping.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#81 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 6:10 PM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 22nd Nov 2011 at 9:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rennara
Just looking at that green patch ouerbaker...it looks a bit out of place..other wise great landscaping.

That's part of the unfinished side of the cliff. The part I trying to finish today.

Here is a picture that shows what that side currently looks like. This area should look much better by the end of the day.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums...nshot-218-4.jpg

edit

The sculpting is almost done for this section.

another little edit Does this section look okay?

and the last edit of the day

The green blob is gone.

I also worked on the routing paint for a while . Here is a very early testing alpha of Reyes . This version lacks the plants and lots that I need to add to the section of terrain I finished. Though this version lacks those thing it still gives a general idea of how it looks ingame and how it will run on your computer. I 'm especially interested in the latter of those two. On my computer I know it'll run pretty good but I'm unsure about how it will run on a slower machine. Here is a link to this very early alpha. http://www.mediafire.com/?ros02107r2rsp1c

enjoy

Quote: Originally posted by sgcase
Where do you post your worlds for download?

I have actually not ever completed a world I would recommend downloading. The only world I've ever fully finished goes by the name palm island; it is on the sims 3 exchange. If you are looking a good fully finished world I would recommend checking out the section here for worlds ,a website by the name of awesims,the sims 3 exchange, or any of the many other sites that have worlds posted on them.

Yes, I know that I really probably shoudn't answer a post that has 5 unhelpfulls, but I feel kinda sorry for the feller. He's only posted three times.
Instructor
#82 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 7:41 PM
It's just OUTSTANDING.
Sorry if this post is not of any help, but I just had to say that, wow.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 12:45 AM
This is totally gorgeous! I'm so excited, can't wait to play in a finished world.
I have kind of average computer, so I'll probably download your beta and test it tomorrow!
Scholar
#84 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 11:54 AM
Love, love, love! ...That is all.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#85 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 8:05 PM
I started working on the lighthouse last night . Does the general shape look okay?

It will have cement around it once I put together that custom ingame terrain paint.

Since taking this picture I have added a few more plants.

Here is a picture that shows how it fits into the terrain.

Scholar
#86 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 8:30 PM
Love the location of the lighthouse. However, the shape looks a little strange to me. Looking at the actual Point Reyes lighthouse, yours seems to flare out a bit too much at the bottom. If only there were some way to make it less blocky and more circular, but I realize the game has its restraints. Also, it would be great if sims were able to access that middle viewing level.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#87 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
Love the location of the lighthouse. However, the shape looks a little strange to me. Looking at the actual Point Reyes lighthouse, yours seems to flare out a bit too much at the bottom. If only there were some way to make it less blocky and more circular, but I realize the game has its restraints. Also, it would be great if sims were able to access that middle viewing level.

I don't think I'm able to truly fix the shape unless somebody decides to make sloped and curved CC objects. I doubt that'll happen though. I guess I could try puting straight walls on the bottom . I'll give that a try later on today. With the viewing area I first need to see if a sim can actually walk up there without something strange happening,they might try to walk up the side of the building because that's flooring. If nothing funny happens I come up with a way for them to get up there.
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 11:50 PM
hi, i'm sorry, i don't mean to be rude or disrespectful or anything,
but i'm not really a fan of the split-level stairs, sorry! yes, they do
look great, but i imagine they would interrupt the gameplay, because
you have to skip a level, that's completely black, whenever you want
to change floor level. what about, perhaps changing the stairs to
these: clicky, or the spiral ones? just my opinion, though. as
heaven said before, you can't please everyone!

oh, right! and there's another small thing. i have no idea is it
intended to be this way? but i seem to have floating plants
in the art gallery! (see spoiler)

i was just wondering about one more thing.. i'm not a creator,
nothing.. just maybe it's possible to make the wooden deck at
the art gallery actually sim walkable? If not, that's fine! thank you!
Mad Poster
#89 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ralfijs
to change floor level.

Ouerbacker could technically put in a floor skip marker, allowing players to skip that level during gameplay.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#90 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 2:42 AM
to change floor level. what about, perhaps changing the stairs to
these: clicky, or the spiral ones? just my opinion, though. as
heaven said before, you can't please everyone!

oh, right! and there's another small thing. i have no idea is it
intended to be this way? but i seem to have floating plants
in the art gallery! (see spoiler)

i was just wondering about one more thing.. i'm not a creator,
nothing.. just maybe it's possible to make the wooden deck at
the art gallery actually sim walkable? If not, that's fine! thank you!

With the first problem I did what jje1000 recommended. I placed a skip level marker. This'll make it jump throught the false level like it's not there.

With the second problem I took out the normal plants and replaced them with a few potted plants. The potted plants might not look quite as not but at least they don't look like they are floating. Thanks for mentioning this ;I didn't notice this problem when I went over it for problems.

Unfortunately there is no way to make that pier fully walkable unless I want to create a few routing problems.

Here is a link to a version that has those top two problems fixed. Do they seem fixed to you of do you think I should go work on them a little bit more.Also ,I forgot to include the terrain paints with the last one. The second link is for them.

world link

http://www.mediafire.com/?m54mdtr44rconcg

texture link

http://www.mediafire.com/?3kb2f8b23sy28a3
Instructor
#91 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 6:22 AM
Tried this world out last night - it is stunning. The only thing I noticed was the floating plants (already mentioned). I can't believe you get your houses to look so good without using CC. That's talent right there!

I'd like to see the lighthouse with straight walls - maybe a slightly bigger room on the bottom levels to create that "flared" effect - does that make sense?

I have to say it looks amazing in the last pic, though!
Instructor
#92 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 4:02 PM
I have a question: Is the lighthouse accessible to sims?
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#93 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 4:39 PM
Actually, you CAN make the pier fully walkable. You just need to add another bridge to continue the first bridge. I have a big bridge made out of three separate bridges, and sims can walk on it and cars drive through it just fine. The trick is to copy the placement coordinates of the first bridge, so that the two bridges connect. To do this, just copy the PositionY part of the coordinates to the second bridge, so that both the first and the second bridge have the same PositionY coordinate value.

But as the other side of the bridge doesn't connect anywhere, I'm not sure if this will work but it's worth a try!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#94 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lorenrose1013
I have a question: Is the lighthouse accessible to sims?

It is not accessible yet;but I'm trying to make it accessible.

Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
Actually, you CAN make the pier fully walkable. You just need to add another bridge to continue the first bridge. I have a big bridge made out of three separate bridges, and sims can walk on it and cars drive through it just fine. The trick is to copy the placement coordinates of the first bridge, so that the two bridges connect. To do this, just copy the PositionY part of the coordinates to the second bridge, so that both the first and the second bridge have the same PositionY coordinate value.

But as the other side of the bridge doesn't connect anywhere, I'm not sure if this will work but it's worth a try!

I actually tryed a method very similar to this last night. Unfortunately it didn't work due to how the lot is placed .

Quote: Originally posted by girlfromverona
Tried this world out last night - it is stunning. The only thing I noticed was the floating plants (already mentioned). I can't believe you get your houses to look so good without using CC. That's talent right there!

I'd like to see the lighthouse with straight walls - maybe a slightly bigger room on the bottom levels to create that "flared" effect - does that make sense?

I have to say it looks amazing in the last pic, though!

Either later today or tommorow I going to put together a few slightly differant variations on the lighthouse. I try to make one of the variations fit this.
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 6:49 PM
@Ouerbacker, i haven't tried the updated world, yet, because i've been extremely busy with homework. this would be a little bit off-topic (or not?) but, what about, maybe, making a restaurant on the same lot as lighthouse? i think, that place on the hill is very gorgeous.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#96 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 6:34 AM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 27th Nov 2011 at 8:26 AM.
@Ouerbacker, i haven't tried the updated world, yet, because i've been extremely busy with homework. this would be a little bit off-topic (or not?) but, what about, maybe, making a restaurant on the same lot as lighthouse? i think, that place on the hill is very gorgeous.

Yeh, I guess that might work. Are you sure it might not look a little better on top of the hill behind the lighthouse.

edit

I still have not gotten around to working to the lighthouse but I have made a little progress.

Here is a new house.

and here is some very unfinished seaside terrain. I won't start painting this until all of the terrain up to were the roads will connect is completed. This will probably not be ready for painting until next week.

another little edit

I was a little pessimistic when I posted that last edit. There is a small chance of me actually completing that section of terrain this weekend.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#97 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 8:17 AM
I changed that house in the last post just a little. I now has a new paint scheme , new tower, and a few other changes. The paint scheme that the house had on it will be used on some other victorian house.

Unfortunately I did not get around to finishing the rest of that section of terrain.
Instructor
#98 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 12:16 PM
I just can't believe how fast you work. It takes me a whole freakin' day just to do one lot that's a rabbit hole and only consists of landscaping.

Which is why you have almost completed three stunning worlds and I'm still working on my first two years later, haha.

Keep it up! Still looking forward to Seacrest, too!!

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Instructor
#99 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 4:11 PM
As usual, the homes you make and the sculpting you do astound me!

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Instructor
#100 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 9:43 PM
These are amazing! I'm also looking forward to this and Seacrest.
Page 4 of 31