Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 10:05 PM
Does anyone use Blender? If so, can you use it to recolor items and then import that into the game? I saw a tutorial where the person texturized a castle and I thought it would be cool if you could just do that in Blender without having to open up a paint program every time you wanted to recolor. Also, which is easier: Anim8tor or Blender?

thanx for any help.
Pea
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 1:45 AM
anim8or is way easier since the options are easy to use and understand and blender is a little too complicated for beginners.
Test Subject
#78 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 1:55 AM
I want to try doing this but from the thread I can't tell if I'll be able to. Is this something you just recommend for people with 3D modeling skills or beginners like me?

By the way, thanks for your hard work. I know we all appreciate it! (and I'm sure Maxis didn't expect the community to get so far, so fast, eh?)
Test Subject
#79 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 2:11 AM
You could still make meshes if you are a beginner but maybe not as neat. I am a beginner and is working hard on geting closer to the intermediate.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 3:07 AM
Here is the thing i downloaded blender, but i cant import/export obj files, i dont know where to get the wave front obj. and if i get it where do i put it.
Test Subject
#81 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 3:45 AM
Default There is an importer/exporter for blender.
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Import___Export.5.0.html

I downloaded this, as suggested by RGiles. I have yet to install it, but I was just working on that now. LOL! Can't wait to get started.

Live today as if it's your last. Be true, be loved and be loving.
Test Subject
#82 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 11:12 AM
I just love the progress made here so far
is there any way to use this exporter with 3dsmax 7?
Im very experienced in this program, so Id like to be able to use it when modelling stuff for ts2
#83 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PheelMePhlow
Does anyone use Blender? If so, can you use it to recolor items and then import that into the game? I saw a tutorial where the person texturized a castle and I thought it would be cool if you could just do that in Blender without having to open up a paint program every time you wanted to recolor.

Nope, the game uses UVMaps for the textures not the modeling programs material stuff.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#84 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 11:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Centove
Nope, the game uses UVMaps for the textures not the modeling programs material stuff.

Most objects use textures and UVmaps (as well as other settings in the MATD files), but apparently not all objects have textures, just other setting to define the material.

But in answer to the original question, no you can`t use blender to recolour a object.
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 2:16 PM
Michewill we be seeing anymore pictures in the near future??? (of some new meshes???) im interested to see what your all working on...any hair styles yet??? ok just wondering.

That's Hot
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#86 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 2:23 PM Last edited by Miche : 21st Jan 2005 at 2:31 PM.
I`m currently working on , how the animations work. I can make some basic changes to the animations, but it will be some time yet before the mesh tool can change/make new animations.

I`ll try to find some pictures of new objects to post though.

Here`s a picture of a punching dummy which one of the beta testers made , it has problems though, in that only part of the object ends up getting animated.
http://www.modthesims2.com/attachme...tid=18210&stc=1

These are the sort of problems we are trying to resolve before we publicly release the Mesh tool, if we wanted to just allow static new objects then the tool would be already released, but as we are trying to keep the information for the animations in the modified objects, sometimes there are poblems.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#87 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 8:01 PM
Very nice work everyone!

I'd like to know how far we've progressed in knowing how the textures will be applied to the meshes.
I'm a complete newbie to 3D (I got blender yesterday)... but won't changing the mesh of an object screw up how the texture is placed? How will this be fixed?

-Petes
"There's no greater love than giving your life for your friends." -Jesus
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#88 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 8:02 PM
The uv cords are exported with the mesh(es) , these can be changed , then when the mesh is reimported the textures can be changed/imported.
Test Subject
#89 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 8:11 PM
wow! wen it's released i want a black tutu with pink tights for my weird family, ooooh, all the possibilities, i still don't understand how meshes work, but i will work it out one day

In the words of RGiles:

AREN'T YOU THE ONE WHO TYPES LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME AND ACTS LIKE A CHIMP ON CRACK?

Oh that made me laugh.
Test Subject
#90 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 6:21 AM
I have A question about maya pre.
How do you import an Obj. into maya pre? someone tell me step by step on how to do this.
Test Subject
#91 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 12:25 PM Last edited by teresa : 22nd Jan 2005 at 12:34 PM.
Default Closed Beta and Free modeler information
Hi,

First I would like to introduce myself. I am Teresa Fernandez formerly of Mom/Pop Simshop and Simfreaks. I have a pay website called The Real Sim that just opened earlier this month. There isn't too much there yet but I do have plans to add a variety of helpful content there, such as new bases, tutorials, links, etc.

I know that many of you are against pay sites and I hope that this won't make any of you immediately hate me. It is one reason why I haven't posted here yet. I have just been reading and seeing what everyone is doing here. I have often wanted to help but a lot of it is jibberish to me so I haven't really found the opportunity to jump in and help with anything, basically because I am the one seeking the help and have nothing to help with. LOL

I am not a programmer and I don't do hex very well at all, however, I do know quite a bit about the Sims 1 game, have made many new bases and hacks for it using IFF Pencil 2, I know how to 3D Model in a few programs, I am famalier with the .obj format especially since this is widely used in the Poser communities and for Sims 1 meshes via Milkshape. Even though I am mainly an objects creator for Sims 1, I have still messed with the body and head meshes quite a bit and I know how to make my own animations via SimPose.

I would really love to get in on this project your working on and help in anyway I can, even if it is just testing it for you, not sure if I would be any help in any other area that you may need help in but I could always try.

You have a closed beta group? I would like to be a part of it. I do run a paysite and I did work for a paysite, I see nothing wrong with them at all, I do hope that you don't let that be a problem and want you to know that it has never stopped me from helping anyone create stuff on their own. When asked I have always been as helpful as possible, my knowledge is free.

If you would like to include me in your closed beta group than you can PM me or email me at tereesa at insightbb.com and if not than I would still like to thank everyone here for the services, programs and help that they are providing the sims community.

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet........

Wings3D is a really nice free 3D modeler that you may want to give a try,
http://www.wings3d.com/

Gimp is a nice free 2D graphic application that you may want to try,
http://www.gimp.org/

Thanks,

Teresa
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#92 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 12:36 PM
To apply for the closed beta testing, can you please pm Rentechd. Sorry but we will only consider applications which are made in that way.

As for you running a pay site, this will not effect your chances of joining the beta testing. I have nothing against pay sites, if people want to pay for objects that`s up to them. I do have a few thoughts about people making money from our hard work, when we won`t make any, but they won`t effect your application. My main problems are with the big pay sites, which make a lot of money but only pay a little bit to the people who actualy make the objects they are "selling".
Test Subject
#93 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 12:50 PM
Thanks, I am sorry for making you repeat yourself. I read back through the thread and seen where you said to PM Rentechd.
Test Subject
#94 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 5:12 PM
from where i download this progreem?
Test Subject
#95 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 5:34 PM
It is still in a closed beta test and not available for download.
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 6:00 PM
There is another solution on the paysite thing, Miche. You could make it require a license fee for commercial use (free for everyone else). That way you still give the program away, as you intended, but don't have people making money off your hard work without giving you anything in return.

It's a common arrangement -- many freeware and graphics creators do it that way.

And you could make it per site vs. per creator if you wanted (so that the "contributers" to certain sites aren't having to pay money for the program while the site itself pays nothing and reaps the benefits).

Just an idea.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#97 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 6:12 PM Last edited by Miche : 22nd Jan 2005 at 7:08 PM.
Yeah but it will be really hard to enforce, if the program is freely available, people and sites will just use the free one and then try to claim the objects were created with another program. Although we will be able to tell for certain if a object is created with our program, we would still need to check all objects and then chase the creators or the site. The other point is this program was never intended to be a commercial program.

Although it is taking up much more of my time then I had planned, and looks like it won`t stop doing so anytime soon. We are currently working on beginning to add things which will be need to allow the creation of new animations, and this isn`t a easy task, as we want to still allow as many 3d programs as possible to be used to create the meshes. It really is starting to be a second full time job.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
Yeah but it will be really hard to enforce, if the program is freely available, people and sites will just use the free one and then try to claim the objects were created with another program. Although we will be able to tell for certain if a object is created with our program, we would still need to check all objects and then chase the creators or the site. The other point is this program was never intended to be a commercial program.

Although it is taking up much more of my time then I had planned, and looks like it won`t stop doing so anytime soon. We are currently working on beginning to add things which will be need to allow the creation of new animations, and this isn`t a easy task, as we want to still allow as many 3d programs as possible to be used to create the meshes. It really is starting to be a second full time job.

Miche, I virtually owe everything to MTS2. I can't understand why any site would dislike MTS2. I'm guessing we are referring to one site in particular. I compensate my artists at a very competitive hourly rate as I want them to be happy and content working from home. And I would be happy to pay an ongoing licensing fee and/or provide monetary support during development of this tool. I wholeheartedly agree with Brianna.
Test Subject
#99 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 5:01 AM
A little on subject...
Quote: Originally posted by jtravers88
Miche, I virtually owe everything to MTS2. I can't understand why any site would dislike MTS2. I'm guessing we are referring to one site in particular. I compensate my artists at a very competitive hourly rate as I want them to be happy and content working from home. And I would be happy to pay an ongoing licensing fee and/or provide monetary support during development of this tool. I wholeheartedly agree with Brianna.

Off subject:I don't understand why there is a feud. Can't it just be put aside? And is it with TSR? They're a paysite aren't they?

Back on subject, if it is offered free, Miche is right, it's too hard to inforce. Even big companies have a hard time doing that, so imagine how hard it would be for a smaller group of underfunded people? The only choice they have is to not do it or find some bigwig to support the creation of the programs and make money by making software - Do you want to go there?

I used Milkshape 3D a while back and purely by accident, I imported the mesh for the Expensive Dresses Clothing Rack. Has anyone done this or something similar?

Live today as if it's your last. Be true, be loved and be loving.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#100 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 11:11 AM
Two pictures of a tv, one of the beta tester made based on the tv in sims 1.

http://www.modthesims2.com/attachme...tid=19284&stc=1

http://www.modthesims2.com/attachme...tid=19283&stc=1
Screenshots
Page 4 of 6