Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 11:09 PM
ok i now i have everything update....it still works...and i love it
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 11:46 PM
My standards for EA are so low at this point that I'm just happy it hasn't totally borked my game the way Generations did. Flawless install and play so far (minus lag).
Inventor
#28 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sprue
That's because of your pc and video card.

Ah, I was afraid of this :/
Well other than my video card not showing fuzz, I'm loving the game! I have one sim living with three cats and a dog. I love controlling the pets and having them explore. My dog met a horse (not wild) that was standing in the middle of nowhere, looking kind of lost
Forum Resident
#29 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 12:10 AM
i LOVE that some of you are enjoying this new ep..
gives me hope that there's still a chance that i will love, or at least like it too.
Instructor
#30 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 12:14 AM
I have been playing for almost 8 hours straight and I've got to say...../cry.

I have been waiting for this expansion sooooo long. So much so that I refused to play the sims until it came out. I've made cats, dogs and horses. And for the past couple of hours have been trying to make my male sim a Jockey. He was kinda cool in his little outfit and his pitch black horse (I was channeling the Black Stallion apparently) and I even managed to get to level 8. However, the severe routing issues have stopped me from continuing any further out of pure frustration.

I had Sable, my main horse and I purchased another - Lady, to be his companion. The area I built for them was fairly large. Lots of open spaces. But for the life of them they could not seem to arrange themselves to communicate - ANYWHERE. When they did it took so long I feared they would die of old age. One step, another, another. Path fail. Click again. One step, another, another, another. Path fail. And this went on for sim hours until I had to finally forget about it and move on.

I would take them to the horse park and let them run and jump, but there too was a constant path fail because there were so many other sims and horses by themselves. At times I would instruct him to brush his horse or clean his hooves instead and the animal would dance around him forever trying to get into position. Nine times out of ten it would end in a path fail.

Then - and I am still trying to figure out who kicked my horse in the head - Sable suddenly decided that when I clicked on him for him to nap he no longer wanted to stay in his wide open pasture. Every single time I told him to nap he would walk all the way out of the corral and up to the house and the front door. Then = path fail. He did this constantly and the sleep icon would dissapear. Even when he and the sims were riding across town he seemed to have issues. He would stay on the road and then for some reason that was apparently only known to him, he would veer off, do a little loop, then get right back on the road again. Meanwhile my sim is on his back looking like he keeps falling and hitting himself in a bad way on a balance beam. This I learned, thankfully, went away after level 5 or 6.

But eventually it was the pathing issues that have made me stop for the night. If I counted them all over a two hour span I would have to say close to fifty. I should have been able to accomplish much more than I did in what time I had but they held me back.

The graphics are very pretty but the frustration level will begin to rise when more than one sim and animal comes onto a lot. At times my sims two horses would be in such a snit that they would wind up intersecting each other, appearing to be melded together, criss-crossing each other. And there they would stay. Stuck. For a sim hour or two, unable to move, before yet another path fail.

Tomorrow I will grow carrots with a cat. I can't see what could possibly go wrong with that, but I have no expectations that the cat won't suddenly go medieval on my carrots, my furniture or me. Stranger things have happened today. They really have.

I think I'm going to go watch TV now....IF I can find the right path.
Instructor
#31 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 12:45 AM
I have it in my PC now and have played it for a good 2 hours and All I have to say is......

After 10 years....it finally happened.....EA finally came through.....

Kudos to you Will Wright.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by secretsim
My standards for EA are so low at this point that I'm just happy it hasn't totally borked my game the way Generations did. Flawless install and play so far (minus lag).

Thats good to hear. I decided to wait to see what the EP does to everyone else's game before trying it out myself :P
Scholar
#33 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fraroc
...Kudos to you Will Wright.

I actually like what I see so far even tho I'm sure there's issues I haven't come across yet. I like the interactions between the animals & Simmies.

The world is nice tho I'm sure there are routing issues I haven't encountered yet. Surprisingly not all the EA lots look like they were built by blind bats. Some have potential.

And there is a ton of new content, much more than Gen. And of course all praise the Collection Folders!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 12:54 AM Last edited by lipglosschaos : 19th Oct 2011 at 1:13 AM.
My impressions (even though nobody probably cares )

-CAP was well made. I like the background and was impressed with the sliders.
-The selection of cat and dog breeds was expansive, but they all looked the same to me. I would rather have had fewer breeds that were more realistic than have a ton of breeds that were very similar. I can't comment on horse breeds because I can't even tell the difference in real life (except for color). I did like how customizable coats were, that was neat.
-The location of the saddle and saddle blanket options are strange. I feel like they should be in accessories along with the harness and reins. I couldn't find it at first.
-I liked the new clothes. They had a cute theme.
-The whole "Wild West" theme isn't doing it for me. It's a little strange to have a realistic town and plop a saloon in the middle of it. I couldn't find a place to fit any of it in.
-The pets really do seem to have personalities of their own, which is lovely.

A few questions:
-Where do horses stay? Is there a barn you place on your home lot? How does this work?
-Can different pet breeds make babies? If so, what are the babies called? Mixed breed?

UPDATE: I don't seem to be having *any* routing problems. I find it cute that the horse backs up before you can mount it. The animations are lifelike while still keeping that cute aspect that the Sims 3 has.

UPDATE UPDATE: Nervous horses are a pain in the butt. Do not make one.

Zebra Maxidress in 5 Colors

I made a tutorial! Check it out here.
Scholar
#35 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 1:09 AM
There are Box Stalls you place on the lot for the horses. They are in Buy Mode by Function, Pet Essentials, Horses. There's also one in Buy Debug that is self cleaning.

Has anyone found the small hay pile that sits on the ground?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#36 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lipglosschaos

A few questions:
-Where do horses stay? Is there a barn you place on your home lot? How does this work?

Horses should have a stall inside of a fenced in area. In the stall, they'll have everything they need including hay and water. You can find these in buy mode.

There are also stalls where your horse can "stay" at the Equestrian Center. When I saw that, I was SO EXCITED because that means my city Sims can own horses but just board them at the Equestrian Center. Well, of course the darn horses always run home. They might sleep there overnight (if you're lucky) but they'll end up running home.

Also, they can escape their fenced in area. They pretty much wander wherever they want to. One of my horses loves galloping around the neighborhood and riderless horses show up at the horse ranch all the time.

I guess they got there via subway. Yes, the horses can ride the subway.
Inventor
#37 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 1:55 AM
It's going okay so far. I made a woman with the new Cat Person trait and three cats with different traits to try them out. I made two of the cats mates.

I find it funny that mates have rings as if they are married to each other. Pets don't exchange rings so I feel the icon should have been something like two red pawprints or a pawprint between two hearts or something. Rings to represent mates is silly.

The animals move too slowly. I had my sim take them to the cat jungle and one of them immediately caught fleas from random grass as soon as she stepped onto the lot. Then they gave them to their mate with a nuzzle.

I don't like that cats clip through the bottoms of the single tile doors when they turn.

The town is REALLY empty. I only saw a horse and three other people. No one was out doing anything. =/

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Test Subject
#38 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 2:49 AM
I have it in my PC now and have played it for a good 2 hours and All I have to say is......

After 10 years....it finally happened.....EA finally came through.....

Off-topic: You have such a nice rock, is there enough space underneath for me as well?

I have a question for the Pets EP though, are there other pets beside the ones you created, strays and whatsoever? And do they look mutt-ish or do they just follow the default breed looks?

Inexperienced Sims making baked alaskas = Molotov cocktails.
Instructor
#39 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 3:24 AM

Actually, Will Wright is not part of Sims 3 Development after Ambitions, so...
I guess EA actually did something right (Wright! ) with this game.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Eminence Grise
#40 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Honshu Wolf
I have a question for the Pets EP though, are there other pets beside the ones you created, strays and whatsoever? And do they look mutt-ish or do they just follow the default breed looks?

There are strays, and no they don't look particularly mutt-ish. I expect they come from a premade pool, not necessarily exactly the "standard" representatives of the breeds.

Your neighbors also put puppies and kittens up for adoption occasionally, and you can adopt from a random pool of puppies, kittens, adult and elder cats and dogs as well, using the phone or computer.
Field Researcher
retired moderator
#41 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 3:27 AM
So far I'm impressed, I only played for like an hour so this is just what I experienced during that. I'm very pleased with the amount of new clothes for female sims, but hair, only 1 usable one, seriously!? I made a Dalmatian and a 'Samoyed' first and I was very pleased. Some of you are having them move slowly, and I'm not at all. Create a sim loading took a little bit longer then usual but I figured it's because it was the first time. The dogs move fine for me, I haven't tested any other animal. Also...A NEW GARAGE DOOR. HALLELUJAH! I'm in love with it<3. I also love the kitchen set. I haven't had too much time to actually play, I mostly looked around town (which I also love) and looked through catalogs.

But I'm NOT pleased that it broke my CC.

EDIT: Oh, and if you try to explain the reason for the pets not moving slow as my computer, I'm on a 2010 Macbook, so not that great for gaming. But it works for me!

PM me with a request!
Instructor
#42 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 3:34 AM
As you might have guessed.... This is so far my favorite EP for TS3. It was everything I expected and even more.

And to all the haters....let me be the first to say.You have absolutely NO faith whatsoever. The EP only sucks if you make it suck instead of getting the best out of it. Which is honestly, your own damn fault.

Life lesson-make the best out of everything.
Theorist
#43 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 3:39 AM
I just got to play about one sim day. First I selected the crazy cat lady so I could get a look at the cats. Then I switched to the Honey Darnell household. She has a full skill bar in riding points so I figured that would let me see how horses work.

I didn't have much in the way of route failure although I did discover that a sim can't lead a horse through a fence gate; they have to go on their own! yeah, they are really sims. And they do run out to the front of the house a lot. I also spotted a saddled horse walking through the park and when I hovered my cursor over it, it said 'Shadow is going home'.

Also, about the small piles of hay - my sim autonamously went to the big bales of hay in the barn and did the 'scatter hay' interaction. A few minutes later the horse walked over and ate from the small pile of hay. They can also 'graze' in the grass, but I think the hay fills up hunger faster.

Also saw a parrot spawn behind their house (oookaaay), spotted a turtle at the cemetary, and saw a wild colt walking outside of town. And there were quite a few sims. The pathing in this game has always been horendous but I suspect those of you with pathing and lack of population issues don't have quite enough processing power. Just a guess on my part, though.

So far I like the town. It's different and quaint, with a 'homey' feel to it. Still lots to check out - wish I didn't have to work tomorrow!

Edit: Oh, I read on the EA forum that the spellbook may be conflicting with teaching pets' skills. I also agree that the horses walk way too slowly!

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Forum Resident
#44 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 3:48 AM
Having experienced any lag yet. Really good so far, have yet to play with horses though
Is Claeric
#45 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 4:16 AM
I only got to play for a few minutess but the game did seem less laggy (though it was really slow at loading things). I picked a house with a horse and the horses move really smooth

I got screen tears, vsync doesnt work?
Instructor
#46 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 4:28 AM
After getting the game code issue resolved, I had the game hang a couple of times. I got that resolved and have played seamlessly for the better part of the day. As far as the pets having problems positioning for interactions, with each other and humanoid sims, I find that it's very similar to the issues TS2 Pets had.

Overall, I find the town charming. It's very enjoyable to see the deer, raccoons and small "collectable" animals come along.
I've only seen one stray, and honestly, it looked as though it may have been a Buchon Frise. There may be mixed breeds as play progresses and various strays breed. Just a guess.
I find that the horses are fairly well animated. The only real "gripe", if you will, that I have is that their gaits are a bit choppy. Since they were animated in a finite amount of space, they don't get the extended motion that you would see in RL.
I feel that the "care" that the animals require is a great deal less than it was in TS2 Pets. It's far easier to have more than one pet and not have your sim become overwhelmed just trying to care for their pets.
I haven't experienced any lag myself, and I'm sorry to hear that some people are. But then, I have zero CC. Just a personal choice.
The scenery is very "Californian", but in spite of that, it's pretty and pleasant.
I agree that it's a more fully fleshed out EP than Generations was, which makes game play more fun. Obviously.
Training your horse for Racing, Jumping, or Eventing does take quite some time, so don't expect to accomplish it in a single sim day.
Teaching your dog tricks doesn't take an entire sim day anymore, but you have no idea of how the training is progressing as they have done away with the Progress bar.
I haven't played any cats for very long yet, so I don't know much about how they play.

I would have to say that overall, the game play is enjoyable, slightly challenging, and (so far) less frustrating than TS2 Pets was.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Test Subject
#47 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:33 AM
I finally got a chance to sit down and create some pets.
I somehow ended up with this little guy.

Isn't he just adorable? :lovestruc
Alchemist
#48 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:35 AM
^ LMAO... nice one. He is cute.
Is Claeric
#49 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:40 AM
Can you domestic the deers and racoons? I think there are racoons. Can they be in your house?
Field Researcher
#50 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:45 AM
I wonder why some people have horrible glitches and others work smoothly? what causes peoples pets to glitch like that..?
Page 2 of 11