Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 4:18 PM
Your Most Anticipated Movies: 2009 & Beyond!
Last night, I spent two hours finding about upcoming films. It looks like the current trend right now is remaking horror classics. Day the Earth Stood Still, Halloween, and now Friday the 13th. The Wolfman is due to come out this year and A Nightmare on Elm Street is currently in development.

My question is: which movies that coming out this year (or beyond) that you are most looking forward to?

Mine are for 2009 the summer blockbusters:
Transformers 2, X-men: Wolverine, Harry Potter, GI Joe, Angels and Demons, Terminator 4 and Star Trek (maybe) just to name a few.

"I'm too booty-licious for ya, babe!"
Check out my DND Designs
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 4:42 PM
Harry Potter, of course.

And that Monsters and Aliens (my son thinks it will be good).

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 4:43 PM
The only one i can think off atm, is harry potter!

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Test Subject
#4 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 4:49 PM
I wanna see Angels and Demons! And Harry Potter of course.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 5:31 PM
Harry Potter! I am so excited to see it. I also want to see confessions of a shopaholic lol. But that comes out this friday.
Scholar
#6 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 5:55 PM
I'm anticipating/worried about the Watchmen film.

It's really hard for me to imagine that comic being turned into a movie that is a commercial success and true to the comic book as well. From the clips I've seen so far, it looks like they're trying to "badass-ify" all the characters, when a major theme of the book is actually how helpless and lame some of the costumed characters feel. These are, like, middle-aged people who dress up funny and go out and fight crime. They have become disillusioned and made obsolete by a changing world that once loved them and now mocks them. And they have awful personal psychoses like any other person. Even the God-like character, Dr. Manhattan, is trapped by his own omniscience and ennui--knowing what will happen in the future but only able to play his own predestined role. (I mean, think about it. Can you imagine being in a relationship with someone knowing that they will cheat on you and you'll break up in a few years anyway?)

Also... yeah... Zack Synder directing it. He seems more like an action flick guy, and the comic book is anything but action, so I'm fairly sure it's just gonna get bastardized and leave sad nerds like me unhappy, but the general public will probably love it.

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
Field Researcher
#7 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 6:06 PM
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Crank II: High Voltage
Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
Public Enemies
Inglorious Basterds (not a typo...that's how it's spelled for the movie)
Test Subject
#8 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 6:30 PM
Why has no-one mentioned Twilight yet?! I'll take it upon myself :P
New moon!

And Harry Potter, of course. I didn't know they were making a 5th X-Men. Sounds cool. I want to see "He's just not that into you" soon, it looks really good.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by robokitty
I'm anticipating/worried about the Watchmen film.

It's really hard for me to imagine that comic being turned into a movie that is a commercial success and true to the comic book as well.

What about Sin City? That was banging movie! Although, technically that was a graphic novel, but still!

And they're making a prequel!

As far as kid stuff, there's Nine, Imagine That, Ice Age 3, Planet 51 and Up.

And in the "WTF were they thinking?" category, there's Saw VI (!?!), Land of the Lost (not a big Will Farrell fan) and Tooth Fairy.

I forgot to add Night at the Museum 2 and Fast and the Furious (4??) to my most anticipated group. Why F&F? Because the original cast is coming back (Vin Diesel, yeah!)

Check out my DND Designs
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Malison
I didn't know they were making a 5th X-Men. Sounds cool.

In the Wolverine movie, they will (FINALLY!) have Gambit in the movie!

And despite what everyone says, I think Dakota Fanning will be great in New Moon. That's exactly how I pictured Jane (?).

Check out my DND Designs
Scholar
#11 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dallasindc
What about Sin City? That was banging movie! Although, technically that was a graphic novel, but still!

See, that's just the problem.

Sin City was successful because it was true to the comic. That is to say, the comic glorified violence and sex (often together with violence with men slapping hot chicks around). Sure it had nice eye candy, but it was superficial, stupid, but fun.

If Watchmen stays true to the comic, then the movie would have to give up glitzy, crowd-pleasing action in favor of character and theme development. It would have to give up the warm fuzzy feeling American audiences love at the end... it's very nihilistic. So that's why a movie about that comic in particular cannot be a commercial blockbuster and still stay true to the source.

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
#12 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 2:15 AM
I'm disappointed no one's yet mentioned Cirque Du Freak. I thought there would be more Darren Shan fans around. I can't wait for April :D
#13 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 4:22 PM
I'm waiting for Cirque Du Freak too I am reading through the books as again right now! HAha.

Although I have a few quirks with the casting I have seen, anxious to see how it all works out on screen! :D
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 4:40 PM
Transformers 2 is at the top of my list. Seriously, I will be waiting impatiently for that release day.

Next to that is X-Men Origins. Just because Gambit's there. :D
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 6:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by robokitty
See, that's just the problem.

Sin City was successful because it was true to the comic. That is to say, the comic glorified violence and sex (often together with violence with men slapping hot chicks around). Sure it had nice eye candy, but it was superficial, stupid, but fun.

If Watchmen stays true to the comic, then the movie would have to give up glitzy, crowd-pleasing action in favor of character and theme development. It would have to give up the warm fuzzy feeling American audiences love at the end... it's very nihilistic. So that's why a movie about that comic in particular cannot be a commercial blockbuster and still stay true to the source.

I'm with you RoboKitty, but what I've seen of the promos so far (I work at a cinema, so I get to see the special previews (the ones we have to take out of the films, because of their graphic nature) and Dr. Manhattan is pretty naked from what I've seen. It looks to be almost an immediate frame by frame of the graphic novel's panels. I think the only part they did mangle with (even if they did) was the jail house scene.

Shut up, Quadratic Equation!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 3:16 PM
i just saw Fri the 13th on Saturday, but I missed a scene, 'cause I had to go potty really bad and I missed what happed to the rich guy (trent). can someone PM me about what happened to him. Last I saw him, he had just dropped the gun. thanks!

just for the record: being a horror movie aficionado, let me say that this movie was standard Jason. nothing new; just Jason being Jason. I didn't hate it, but I could've just waited for DVD release.

Check out my DND Designs
#17 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 4:22 PM
Monsters vs Aliens. That one looks so cute.
Watchmen - nuff said.
Really excited about X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I don't even LIKE the character of Wolverine (he annoys me), but this one looks like it's going to be the best X-Men movie yet.
I'm a die-hard fan of G.I. Joe, but frankly, I'm very concerned they might frak it up. Who, in their right mind, would cast Sienna Miller as the Baroness? She's supposed to be an older, femme fatale type, not young and starry-eyed. It's like trying to pick the perfect Bond girl and choosing Denise Richards over Honor Blackman. The collective unit of Dennis Quaid as Hawk and Ray Park as Snake Eyes ALMOST makes up for it, but regardless... let's just say I really hope I'm wrong on that one.
On the other hand, I was also worried about the Transformers movie, but it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to the franchise. Transformers 2 shouldn't disappoint.
Ice Age 3 looks adorable.
Star Trek. zomg.
And how about that Harry Potter? That one looks very promising.
Lastly, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Up yet! Disney/Pixar + Eddie Asner = WIN, unquestionably.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 5:05 PM
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - AH! The fans who went to the early screening in Chicago said it was the closest one to the book YET!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1 and 2- DETAIL, DETAIL, DETAIL. *shiver!*

[endcrazymanicness]

2012 looks good....and some others I can't think of atm.
#19 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 5:13 PM
Angels & Demons
New Moon
Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince

Basically, all the stuff I've read. I'm not really interested in much else.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 7:54 PM
Can you tell? Watchmen will either be good or it will do no justice to the graphic novel that it is. But I'm still seeing it.

As for other movies that I'm looking forward to seeing, well, it's probably not coming out in theater but I still really want to see it. Paranormal Activity: Evidence of a Haunting is, of what I've read, a very low-budget film (made in the director's house, two people in cast, nothing big or fancy) but the reviews I've read from various people who have seen it at a film festival only have good things to say. The best part? They say that it's the scariest ghost movie that they have ever seen or since Poltergeist.

"I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows. I am also an old, old woman. More than that you need not know."
Mad Poster
#21 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 8:18 PM
I can't wait for Watchmen and The Lovely Bones.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
#22 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 10:36 AM
I can't with for Harry potter YAY!
Field Researcher
#23 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Night Revenant

Paranormal Activity: Evidence of a Haunting is, of what I've read, a very low-budget film (made in the director's house, two people in cast, nothing big or fancy) but the reviews I've read from various people who have seen it at a film festival only have good things to say. The best part? They say that it's the scariest ghost movie that they have ever seen or since Poltergeist.

I forgot about that one! I've read the same positive things about it. Unfortunately, I've also read the release date is held-up because Dreamworks bought the rights and might remake it. Ugh, hollywood and their *bleep* remakes!
Alchemist
#24 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 4:42 PM
I can't wait to drag all of my Trekkie hating friends along to the new Star Trek film!
Forum Resident
#25 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 4:50 PM
Harry Potter, Up, Coraline, some others I've now forgotten about...
Page 1 of 5