Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#151 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:20 PM
I copy pasted it for you at the bottom of my reply saves you the search and yes, that is annoying when you have to restart. And weird that you can't replace your family, I haven't had that problem so far, but I'm going to knock it off on some wood.

Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
It's definitely possible to play this challenge while following a single family line, so that aspect is not a problem. The problem is more that you're likely to roll for them having a career that is unavailable due to not having the building (or other requirements) for it. But if you instead make it the heir's goal to earn for the city what they need for their wanted career, that works. Same thing with their spouse or helper and their secondary career. Now there are also some careers where earning what they need would be impossible, or so exceedingly difficult that earning it is too daunting. In that case, your Sim could merely earn something that would help any future Sims who want that career - like if your starting Sim rolls for science and you really don't want to tackle something that hard in the beginning, the Sim could instead earn a grocery store or fishing spot - things that might help anyone else down the line in getting a Science Lab. Of course, any Sim earning something for a career would have to have more relaxed rules on how they're allowed to earn their income, though if they can work in their chosen job then those rules would still apply. Sims who are able to work in their chosen job should do so, but may earn something more of your own choice for the city, perhaps inspired by other parts of their roll. Any children besides your heir may also earn lots for you if they can do so before they need to move out.

Beyond that, I know that some of the other parts of the roll may be rendered impossible based on what you have in your town at the time. In those causes, you can either decide that making it possible in the future during that generation counts as satisfying the requirement, even if you're unable to both make it possible and achieve it, or you may get a free reroll if you really can't come up with an acceptable substitute like that. But for example, if your roll makes your Sim a Tattoo Addict, but there is no Salon in your city, perhaps one of their kids could maximize painting before they move out and unlock the Salon, and then your Sim could get the tattoos they've been wanting. I'd count that as satisfying that goal.

Also, another thought is that if you have the money it would be acceptable for you to move in NPCs at any point as long as it's so that you can immediately move them out into their own house.

But basically, if you treat the rolls more as 'this is what my Sim wants, though if they can't have it themselves they want to make it so that future generations can' (or something along those lines), you can still basically play both challenges at the same time. The added difficulty is that you're not the one picking which lots to earn so much, and since you won't have so many Sims around able to earn lots your city will grow more slowly. Also, you'll probably not be able to complete this challenge before the end of your legacy, though you could always do back to back legacies, or start with a legacy and then play more normally afterward. Or play normally for awhile, and then introduce a legacy.

So, yeah, those are my thoughts. And I'm actually now tempted to restart this challenge in my own game but play the random legacy version of it...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:26 PM
I tried Horsehead Island too but it would lock up just after 6 sim weeks and became unplayable for me. I love Rflongs worlds, you might be able to find a different one of hers that is nearly empty she has them ranging from tiny to large and I know that some of them have un-built versions. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/374366.page Legacy Island or Build Island (same world it has been called both) is an empty world ready to build in. It's a medium sized map. There is also Dark Harbor, empty and ready to build on. I think she also is offering the CAW files for Dark Harbor.

I'm using a world of my own. It's a medium sized world that I have been working on since Ambitions was released. I haven't released it yet, it's been one that was on the back burner forever, life kept me so busy I just didn't find the time to squeeze it in with taking care of 2 girls, going back to college full-time and the divorce. It's nearly finished, just a few more lots to build and I can call it finished. I just went in CAW and emptied all lots and exported a new version. Things are in motion for it to be available mid to late March and both versions will be available.

Mathews Random Legacy (current Legacy)
Scholar
#153 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:43 PM
Bakasims (Our very own MTS girl) has some great worlds on her website, many of which I am quite partial to since I'm one of her testers. http://www.bakasims.com/

She made me an empty version of Morikipo but I highly suggest just clicking one of the versions she has up (Suburb, for no taxis) since the foliage she used for decoration is GORGEOUS. You can see bits of it in Ginger's flashback in ch 3.

Avalon is also one of my favourites and will be appearing in my random legacy spoiler in a few chapters. But it does have a very fantasy-esque feel to it that some may not appreciate (But I REALLY do love).

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Lab Assistant
#154 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:58 PM
Thanks guys.

Im currently working with crescent cove now, it's a bit laggy but no permanent freezes as yet. I'll keep a list of your suggestions should I need to find a new world in the future. I think worlds with lots of trees my computer doesn't like.

I had a go yesterday with CAW but it seemed like such a mammoth task! I suffer from ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which means I have limited energy and sometimes it affects my concentration too so I have to be careful what I commit myself to, something like creating a world I think is a bit too much!
Field Researcher
#155 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:19 PM
I have a question i don't know if its been answered but here goes: what if the world we have chosen has NO SPAWNERS!?
It comes perfectly empty, a bit too perfectly empty.......
Scholar
#156 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
I have a question i don't know if its been answered but here goes: what if the world we have chosen has NO SPAWNERS!?
It comes perfectly empty, a bit too perfectly empty.......

Play for a couple days and they usually show up.

Also: I finally have another update! (I was buuuusy)

Ch. 5 - Prestige http://evansimslegacy.blogspot.com/...5-prestige.html

A couple birthdays, and an offer that leaves Aden with a bad taste in his mouth.

Field Researcher
#157 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ReyaD
Play for a couple days and they usually show up.

Also: I finally have another update! (I was buuuusy)

Ch. 5 - Prestige http://evansimslegacy.blogspot.com/...5-prestige.html

A couple birthdays, and an offer that leaves Aden with a bad taste in his mouth.
I did wait a couple days, and put in buy debug to see the actual spawners, there is not even fish spawners.........*goes to wait a couple more days*
Scholar
#158 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
I did wait a couple days, and put in buy debug to see the actual spawners, there is not even fish spawners.........*goes to wait a couple more days*

Okay yes thats weird. I think it would be appropriate to add in some spawners then. My spawners showed up the second morning after I began playing.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#159 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 8:34 PM
I hate worlds without spawners! But you have a couple options, depending on how much you want to cheat.

For absolutely no cheating, note that I do allow you to place spawners on lots that you've earned (provided they're not excessive). Of course, that would mean earning a lot of lots before you'd be able to have a decent amount of spawners. But if you earn the bookstore first, then you'd be able to get a gardening book and you get free seeds to start a garden with. Using them or just the books to max gardening would get you the grocery store and all the produce you need for planting. Fishing would also be tricky to max, but you can take advantage of a Sim who has already earned a community lot by sending them travelling - it would not be difficult to catch enough fish to stock a pond at home and if you don't have your grocery store you can also get produce while travelling. I'd judge the metals, gems, and insect spawners as being less important as you don't get any skills from them, but you can add them in as you earn lots.

For a minor (possibly even overlookable) amount of cheating, you can add spawners to your otherwise vacant lots that you haven't earned yet and that wouldn't be such a big deal as long as the lots are otherwise empty.
Field Researcher
#160 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
I hate worlds without spawners! But you have a couple options, depending on how much you want to cheat.

For absolutely no cheating, note that I do allow you to place spawners on lots that you've earned (provided they're not excessive). Of course, that would mean earning a lot of lots before you'd be able to have a decent amount of spawners. But if you earn the bookstore first, then you'd be able to get a gardening book and you get free seeds to start a garden with. Using them or just the books to max gardening would get you the grocery store and all the produce you need for planting. Fishing would also be tricky to max, but you can take advantage of a Sim who has already earned a community lot by sending them travelling - it would not be difficult to catch enough fish to stock a pond at home and if you don't have your grocery store you can also get produce while travelling. I'd judge the metals, gems, and insect spawners as being less important as you don't get any skills from them, but you can add them in as you earn lots.

For a minor (possibly even overlookable) amount of cheating, you can add spawners to your otherwise vacant lots that you haven't earned yet and that wouldn't be such a big deal as long as the lots are otherwise empty.
since i only have late night and ambitions I shall be placing spawners in random spots on the map....... ya know besides this problem this map was perfect..... as i said before
Field Researcher
#161 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:01 PM
*mutters to self about games that troll me* it took over a sim week for them to show up but they did, I haven't checked all areas for all types, but there are some there....
Field Researcher
#162 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:19 PM Last edited by Zerhai : 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:38 PM.
*mutters about troll worlds* i swear these things were not here, and yet I cannot find one common spawner...... and the fish, tons of the salt water spawners.... im still searching....... edit: looks too absurdly random to be a person at least dealing with the fish...... but the metals gemstones and seeds it seems a bit too coincidental.... i know i looked in the spots i ended up finding spawners but now there are areas overflowing with spawners it seems...... i swear i didn't do this on purpose......oh and did find some common seeds.....
Field Researcher
#163 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:45 PM
ok here is what i see, i see a whole bunch of common metal spawners...... a few gemstone spawners of various lvl, and a ton of special and rare seed spawners, or at least that seems to be what is spawning.....
The other one
#164 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:54 PM Last edited by missroxor : 24th Feb 2012 at 12:17 AM.
For those having issues with worlds I'd recommend Armiel's finnington. My second generation have just reached adulthood and I've not had any weird issues or lags. Addmittedly I cheated by placing my own seed spawners on my home lot but that's 'cause I'm lazy and impatient and didn't want to traips around the whole map looking for them (yeah, yeah, I'm a big cheat!). I know for sure there's fish and rock spawners though because I've used both and I've seen loads of wildlife including unicorns so I'm guessing all the other spawners are there too though it does say on the thread "base game" so you might have to add a couple from the EPs Also, if you're not already sold, here's some other reasons to use it, lol:

1. There's a rural area, a suburban area and a built up city area but most of the lots are a nice manageable size, there's only a few really big ones.
2. One of the big lots is on a hill that overlooks the whole area so it's perfect for a castle (or townhall). I've placed my founding family there since they're gonna be the self-proclaimed royalty that rule the land :p
3. It's a medium map (with DT, not an island) so it's not too big, not too small (imo)
4. She also made a pack of community lots that you can DL seperately if you're only interested in building the residential lots yourself or are just feeling a bit lazy

So, you sold?! lol

Finnington
Optional Community Lots

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Lab Assistant
#165 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 12:00 AM
Curse you, Random Legacy Challengers, for bringing me here with your fancy signature blogs! -shakes fist- Like I need more things to spend my time doing in my last year of college!

Once I finish my essay that's due tomorrow I'll probably start this up and thus ruin my life. xD Hello, everyone.
Scholar
#166 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 12:48 AM
MissRoxor: Finnington hates me. I tried it in the past with my legacy, built 40 lots from scratch, spent something like three fully days making it PERFECT, and then had absolutely every sim routefail trying to go across that *&&#*^(*#(**##@& bridge in the middle of town. If I could have physically thrown the worldfile out the window, I would have.

My favorites right now are Quailhogs's worlds, over on the official site.
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Quailhogs

Grey Meadow and Fortress Rock are particularly nice. My legacy uses Grey Meadow.
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/249858.page
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...t/0/379560.page

All spawners + tombs + populated + Pets lots + all/most bars = the way to my heart, apparently. Suitors, take note.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
The other one
#167 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 1:04 AM
Oh no I've not had any route fail issues yet and not noticed anybody milling around there so fingers crossed D: I just had a quick glance at the comments and it seems maybe it's not compatable with Pets...though I have pets so whatever the issue is, it doesn't seem to be a constant one.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Scholar
#168 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 1:06 AM
I figured it had to be something that didn't affect everyone, or there'd be a lot more complaints. Pets might have been the problem. I would have ignored it if it was occasional, but it was actually impossible for me to have anyone cross the bridge successfully. Oh well.

Lab Assistant
#169 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 5:49 AM
Test Subject
#170 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 7:32 AM
I've started the challenge and it's going great so far, however there is one thing that slightly confuses me. Can any sim living in the household unlock a new lot, or is it just descendants of the initial sim you made in CAS that can only unlock a lot? E.g: Could I move in a NPC that is best friends with somebody in the house and unlock a lot with them? Or is it similar to legacy rules where only people related to the founder can unlock?
Lab Assistant
#171 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 9:32 AM
oh nooooeees Alma is hooked lol welcome Alma Gonna read your start later today

Warren, I believe it can be any sim not just descendants.
Field Researcher
#172 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 11:15 AM
Yeah, Finnington has everything but seeds :/ I finally put common seeds on my earned diner plot and uncommon on my earned Bistro plot.
Lab Assistant
#173 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 12:28 PM
Well, my fourth attempt and even more glitches/bugs!

I tried Avalon as I love the design and feel of it and all was well, no lags or freezing. Yay! Had baby one, couldn't interact with it, had to reset everytime it needed feeding/changing. Not a big deal I suppose. When it got to toddler stage all was fine. Then baby 2 and 3 same issue at baby and toddler stage. annoying as hell so used master controller to trigger age transition. Now, im getting routing errors everywhere including on the lot and areas I wasn't having them before!

Ive removed all mods and only have a few of Twallens left although the mods didn't cause any problems on horse head island so I dont think its them. Im not sure whether its just the pets ep causing problems or what.

I want to start again somewhere else but im sick of starting over and over and getting nowhere with these glitches/bugs/whatever.
Lab Assistant
#174 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 12:31 PM Last edited by Klevkin : 24th Feb 2012 at 1:18 PM.
how about you empty out an EA created world...if you thinks its the pets exp that is doing this, try AP, empty it out, test play it for a simweek, and see if anything goes wrong.

EDIT UPDATE:

1.4 Boy oh Boy

EDIT EDIT:

I tested the inheritance...it is possible to use it more then once...I just used it twice with Ryan.
Scholar
#175 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 3:23 PM
An empty version of Appaloosa Plains can be found here: http://www.modthesims.info/d/460488

Page 7 of 39