Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 11:37 AM Last edited by itachirockstar : 3rd Feb 2014 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Solved (?)
Invalid Apartment Mystery
EDIT: I removed the stages and stairs then tried converting the lot and it worked! Why, I have no idea, but I'm guessing the stage creates an opening in the floor connecting two apartments. That's stupid. Anyhoo, if anyone has more info on apartment stage behaviors, could you let me know?

I've been experimenting with apartments with basements; I've finished just one successfully so far with this current headache being my second. Facing the lot, I consider the one on the left to be Building One (B1) and the second Building Two (B2). When I started, I built B1 from bottom to top following a floor plan, adding every door, arch, fence, and window necessary. Initially, I had backyards for the bottom two units, using the foundation/fence/fence method that I used on the first apartment with basements that I did. With the yards, I converted the lot to apartmentbase and it didn't give me an error. I figured things would be fine and started on B2.

Here's where things got stupid.

With the lot still converted as an apartment, I tried making the basement for B2 following the same exact method I used for B1 but couldn't delete the steps that were 12-16 clicks deep. It wouldn't let me click-delete or use the sledgehammer tool; I could only undo them. Finally, I converted the lot back to residential, saved/exit, then tried again with success. Again, I followed the exact same building steps I'd done for B1. After adding a playground, dog park, pool, and clubhouse for the Landlord's parties, I tried to convert the lot back to an apartment and it threw an error at me. WTF? I've stared at this lot for nearly six hours now simply looking for a difference in the units. I've even deleted the backyards and replaced the foundation/walls the doors and steps had touched. I can't spot the problem.

I'm new at taking pictures in game, so I can retake them as necessary if given instructions. The units have the exact same floor plan and are unfurnished with the exception of closets and lights, as I'm not entirely sure I won't need to start over. I used the correct door (with the mat) and it's facing the elevator lobby in each building. There are 8 units total, two stories each with L-shaped stairs (created with stages) leading down to the next floor. I used move_objects and snapobjectstogrid cheats to place the columns, in case that;s need to know info. I also used the small iron garden fence outside the basement windows, behind the flowers, outside only.

I can make a list of the CC used or even remove it if anyone would like me to package it for a hands on look. I just want this lot to work as I'm building my first neighborhood from scratch and it looks lovely from the neighborhood view.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 11:44 AM
More pictures...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 11:47 AM
Again, I can take more pictures or even package the lot if needed. Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 11:57 AM
We need much larger pictures I'm afraid to be able to see into the apartments. Try using print screen (on my keyboard it is over on the far left on the top row of keys). Here is some information to help you take screenshots

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 12:39 PM
Here's a pic of the lot from neighborhood view. I'm testing out windowed mode/print screen to make sure it's giving me a good size.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 12:48 PM
That screenshot is far bigger, do that with all your apartments, floor by floor, overhead shots with the walls up :D

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 1:12 PM
Okay, here are bigger (and hopefully better) pics of B1, the one I did first and copied B2 from.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 1:24 PM
Here's B2, in its malfunctioning glory. Or at least I see it to be the problem since things were going great until I built it.
Alchemist
#9 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 11:13 AM
Can you package it for me to have a hands on look? would like to try and help

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/